GMing Demon: What NOT to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
    Don't make the God-Machine's operations too thorough; it is constantly fighting with resources and time to get its plans going. If you don't establish at least one point of weakness that doesn't involve bullets, you will either have players not touching your plots or they will with ever escalating means of violence to dispose of it.
    In relation to this: cultists, cryptids, and imperatives before angels. Figure what is needed for roles and try to not go too far beyond that.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
    Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Originally posted by Griautis View Post

Which could also be phrased as "don't forget the linchpin part of infrastructure"
      More "unless it is massively important, don't arm it with a business diguise, a locked door to get into it, a guard per room and an Angel actively guarding things". The Machine has too much on its plate to have that to micromanage per Infrastructure if it doesn't have that kind of security already, and usually if you have an Angel on hand you don't need mundane guards inside the Infrastructure.

Comment

The Machine is Efficient - if It doesn't need to expend the resources, It won't. Why task an Angel to guard when cultists will do? Why even task cultists, when anonymity will serve?

You can even use the degree of security as a barometer for the PCs' actions - have a DEFCON chart, and as they cause more havoc or are detected, it increases and the opposition gets stronger.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I think that I am still struggling against the D&D paradigm of the PC's as a merry band of adventurers who enter mazes to slay monsters by casting spells. That is, danger is something out there that you have to go seek out and that it is handled by murdering it and then retiring to celebrate.

I am considering having a Honking Huge Infrastructure located in the PC's home town. It has Concealment Infrastructure to keep it hidden from mortals, overwhelming Defense Infrastructure, and three or four angels on assignment. The PC's ring is there simply to monitor it. The actual story is not associated at all with this infrastructure. It's about a different GM occult matrix that links several nearby towns. However, the HHI serves as a reason why the demons are all in this one city, and why they are cooperating, and also reminds them to stay on their guard.

I thought of doing this to reinforce the feeling of "you are living in enemy territory" rather than the GM being something you have to hunt to find and only a threat if you are blatantly foolish. Do you think that this is too heavy handed? Too complicated?

Comment

There is a term for these critical masses of Infrastructure - Facilities.

Ideas from your description:
            • Make the town/city itself focused around some big thing. Like the factory of a factory town, or the university of a college town. Life is generally focused on X, which means over messing with it draws too much attention, and obsessive cults can hide in plain sight.
            • Have the sections of the Facility interlock - Concealment A hides the monitors, Concealment B covers entrances, Defense A supplies guards, etc. Each part you take out has an impact on the rest of the edifice.
            • Due to the high concentration of G-M assets, Demons have to be extra cautious in the area to prevent being outed and caught.
            • The Facility has recently started to expand to nearby towns as the hub of a network. For what purpose is unknown.
            • Most of the "action" and ST generated plots can occur in these "other" towns. Contacts and Pacts formed there can then be used for hits on the "Home" town.

Comment

Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
              Do you think that this is too heavy handed? Too complicated?
              That sounds really interesting. I think its really clever and may have to use it.

Comment

Okay, I am fleshing out the story that I alluded to above (set near the Huge Honking Infrastructure). The idea is that the players find a Town With A Terrible Secret, hiding a farm with Infrastructure to create Resource A, that is being taken to Refining Infrastructure B, and then used at Occult Site C to accomplish a GM goal that (as a by-product) would cause a natural disaster killing tens of thousands of people and costing billions if it succeeds. So, I have descriptions of the Town, the Farm, the Refinery, the Site....

But is this railroading? The plot assumes that the players will follow it. In D&D terms this is a no-brainer - modules are very goal-oriented. However CoD is supposed to be more character driven. Does stories like this work well in the CoD dynamics in general and in DtD in particular? Do your games follow connect-a-dot plots?

Comment

Player Characters exist in the world, right? Their Aspirations will give you hints as to their motivations, and their Cover's close associates will be other treads you can pull on. Involve both in the Plot, and you can rope them into it at any point.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                    Player Characters exist in the world, right? Their Aspirations will give you hints as to their motivations, and their Cover's close associates will be other treads you can pull on. Involve both in the Plot, and you can rope them into it at any point.
                    You're right of course. I can only incorporate the players' motivations when the players have fleshed out their characters. But as I've thought about this I can see that there is a narrative problem. How do you make an Angel a villain?

I can make an Angel that the players fear because she's too strong. I can make an Angel with whom the players are angry because he killed their dog or erased their kid. But I am not sure how to have an Angel evoke that sense of personal vendetta and animosity that a good villain can evoke. Because with an Angel, it's not personal. They don't break a character's legs just to make them crawl. They're just executing instructions.

I can see how a vampire or werewolf or mage another demon might be an arch-villain. But I'm not sure how to evoke the same emotional response from players with an Angel/GM driven plot.

I suspect that I need to re-think higher rank Angels. Perhaps they have more free-will and independence. Perhaps an angel can choose to execute their orders in a variety of ways and some enjoy choosing a darker path....

Comment

They can and do - they would be close to Falling, but Demons have to come from somewhere.

That actually makes it a bit more interesting - a villainous Vampire is largely an a-hole you need to dust. But a villainous Angel? You could destroy them... or you could provoke them into Falling. Both remove the threat, but the later offers the additional drama of - what do you do when they are now nominally on "your side"? Leave them to face their former peers? Or turn your opponent to your cause?
                      Last edited by Vent0; 12-15-2018, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X