Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crossover Question - High Speech

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Crossover Question - High Speech

    The question is in the title more or less

    So since Demon's understand all human languages, and Awakened have a language; would Demon's be able to interpret it other than percieve it objectively? Curious on responses, didn't think this was appropriate for simple answers .

  • #2
    I think it has to be a native language for Demons to auto-know it, and no one is raised to understand High Speech so Demons don't know it.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think by default, no. It's not actually a language. It's more like the platonic ideal of a language.


      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Volke View Post
        So since Demon's understand all human languages, and Awakened have a language; would Demon's be able to interpret it other than percieve it objectively?
        Explicitly not, particularly since High Speech isn't technically a language at all — you might as well try to read a Special Message that's not addressed to you.


        Resident Sanguinary Analyst
        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

        Comment


        • #5
          There was a bit in print about if you taught a lost language to a baby and raised it with that demons could then speak it. So if we take that forward, all you have to do is cause a baby to awaken and have that be their native tongue. Not sure if it'd actually be of any use to a demon though honestly.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
            There was a bit in print about if you taught a lost language to a baby and raised it with that demons could then speak it. So if we take that forward, all you have to do is cause a baby to awaken and have that be their native tongue. Not sure if it'd actually be of any use to a demon though honestly.
            The...baby ... MUST AWAKEN!



            (They/Them/Their) https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/borderland

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah, High Speech isn't really a conversational language so much as a "language" for describing Supernal concepts in order to bring them into Fallen reality. It's only useful for spellcasting and nobody knows it as a native tongue so it wouldn't do demons any good.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                There was a bit in print about if you taught a lost language to a baby and raised it with that demons could then speak it. So if we take that forward, all you have to do is cause a baby to awaken and have that be their native tongue. Not sure if it'd actually be of any use to a demon though honestly.

                This was his thought process as a player and myself had a disagreement so I figured I'd get other responses. I personally don't think a Demon could speak High Speech as it's not really a language; but I can see the arguments made for it .

                Comment


                • #9
                  The core book specifically states demons cannot speak High Speech.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Volke View Post


                    This was his thought process as a player and myself had a disagreement so I figured I'd get other responses. I personally don't think a Demon could speak High Speech as it's not really a language; but I can see the arguments made for it .
                    It also isn't established if that method woulds actually work or not for the record. It's a rumour among unchained that was never truly tested. You see though, the bigger issue is the requirement, how could one force a baby to awaken, would the child be able to survive it and finally how does the demon intend to control it? After all, I don't imagine a baby with the power of a god will really be capable of maintaining their wisdom and not decend into one of the mad potentially dying to the abyss/paradox before the demo's desired results are acquired.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Knowbody View Post
                      Yeah, High Speech isn't really a conversational language so much as a "language" for describing Supernal concepts in order to bring them into Fallen reality. It's only useful for spellcasting and nobody knows it as a native tongue so it wouldn't do demons any good.
                      Untrue. The Mage rule book explicitly states it can be used to communicate, though with some restrictions. Notably, it is impossible to deliberately lie in High Speech.

                      Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                      There was a bit in print about if you taught a lost language to a baby and raised it with that demons could then speak it. So if we take that forward, all you have to do is cause a baby to awaken and have that be their native tongue. Not sure if it'd actually be of any use to a demon though honestly.
                      A demon (probably) still couldn't speak it. Or maybe they could, but could not themselves understand it. See, High Speech requires Peripheral Mage Sight to function. The words themselves are as meaningless to mages as they are to mortals, but their Supernal senses allow them to make sense of it. There's reference to some people who mortals would say "speak in tongues" (the oracles of Delphi, certain Christian groups) use High Speech without knowing. It's possible a demon could do the same, but without the ability to sense the Supernal they couldn't understand what they were saying.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X