Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossover Question - High Speech

The question is in the title more or less

So since Demon's understand all human languages, and Awakened have a language; would Demon's be able to interpret it other than percieve it objectively? Curious on responses, didn't think this was appropriate for simple answers .

I think it has to be a native language for Demons to auto-know it, and no one is raised to understand High Speech so Demons don't know it.

Comment

I think by default, no. It's not actually a language. It's more like the platonic ideal of a language.

Comment

Originally posted by Volke View Post
        So since Demon's understand all human languages, and Awakened have a language; would Demon's be able to interpret it other than percieve it objectively?
        Explicitly not, particularly since High Speech isn't technically a language at all — you might as well try to read a Special Message that's not addressed to you.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

There was a bit in print about if you taught a lost language to a baby and raised it with that demons could then speak it. So if we take that forward, all you have to do is cause a baby to awaken and have that be their native tongue. Not sure if it'd actually be of any use to a demon though honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
            There was a bit in print about if you taught a lost language to a baby and raised it with that demons could then speak it. So if we take that forward, all you have to do is cause a baby to awaken and have that be their native tongue. Not sure if it'd actually be of any use to a demon though honestly.
            The...baby ... MUST AWAKEN!

"The Silver Ladder; because every kid deserves a real Pokemon." - Kleptomania

Comment

Yeah, High Speech isn't really a conversational language so much as a "language" for describing Supernal concepts in order to bring them into Fallen reality. It's only useful for spellcasting and nobody knows it as a native tongue so it wouldn't do demons any good.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post

This was his thought process as a player and myself had a disagreement so I figured I'd get other responses. I personally don't think a Demon could speak High Speech as it's not really a language; but I can see the arguments made for it .

Comment

The core book specifically states demons cannot speak High Speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Volke View Post

This was his thought process as a player and myself had a disagreement so I figured I'd get other responses. I personally don't think a Demon could speak High Speech as it's not really a language; but I can see the arguments made for it .
                    It also isn't established if that method woulds actually work or not for the record. It's a rumour among unchained that was never truly tested. You see though, the bigger issue is the requirement, how could one force a baby to awaken, would the child be able to survive it and finally how does the demon intend to control it? After all, I don't imagine a baby with the power of a god will really be capable of maintaining their wisdom and not decend into one of the mad potentially dying to the abyss/paradox before the demo's desired results are acquired.

Comment

Working...
                    X