Designing Cryptids as a player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designing Cryptids as a player

So, an idea I have recently had as a player in a game is that I could potentially turn a car into a cryptid - a living, stigmatic vehicle with its own mind, awareness and cognitive movement, while still being able to be driven. Naturally I would want such a being to be friendly, if a bit like a steed, but I wonder if such a thing is reasonable for a player to do. On the one hand, it would be a character I would like to at least give some input on for creativity. On the other, it is the GM's game and resposibility to manage such a character, and it makes sense for them to design it.

I trust me GM to not turn this idea into an utter nightmare (though I appreciate that it would be fair to), and that the idea is pretty insane even (or especially) for a Demon to do. Still, it's the general principle I am wondering on. If a player wishes to create, both conceptually and in-game, a Cryptid they wish to be friendly, how much freedom should they have?

Naturally it should all be within reason - I would hardly create this Cryptid just to give my Demon a bragging right, nor would I make it a rank 10+ entity that ate Angels for breakfast. Still, I'd prefer it not be something that I would regret even thinking about once executed...

This is all a bit rambly, I know. That is what posting at 1am, about an idea one gets after watching clips about a 1968 Disney racing comedy, will do for you.

Maybe ask your GM for permission to buy this Merit?

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
      So, an idea I have recently had as a player in a game is that I could potentially turn a car into a cryptid - a living, stigmatic vehicle with its own mind, awareness and cognitive movement, while still being able to be driven. Naturally I would want such a being to be friendly, if a bit like a steed, but I wonder if such a thing is reasonable for a player to do. On the one hand, it would be a character I would like to at least give some input on for creativity. On the other, it is the GM's game and resposibility to manage such a character, and it makes sense for them to design it.

I trust me GM to not turn this idea into an utter nightmare (though I appreciate that it would be fair to), and that the idea is pretty insane even (or especially) for a Demon to do. Still, it's the general principle I am wondering on. If a player wishes to create, both conceptually and in-game, a Cryptid they wish to be friendly, how much freedom should they have?

Naturally it should all be within reason - I would hardly create this Cryptid just to give my Demon a bragging right, nor would I make it a rank 10+ entity that ate Angels for breakfast. Still, I'd prefer it not be something that I would regret even thinking about once executed...

This is all a bit rambly, I know. That is what posting at 1am, about an idea one gets after watching clips about a 1968 Disney racing comedy, will do for you.

Please tell me you are naming it KITT?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
        Maybe ask your GM for permission to buy this Merit?
        A very interesting idea; I shall run it by them. I should note, though, I have not yet gotten the means to make cryptids reliably, much less turn a vehicle into one, so I wanted to get the groundwork estavlished first. This seems like a good step though...

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
        Please tell me you are naming it KITT?
        I was thinking something like Kage, but KITT is an interesting idea. It rather depends on how the cryptid and its stigmata play out.

Comment

Cryptids are generally living things that become stigmatic. I could see trying to wrangle a vehicle spirit into becoming stigmatic after finding a way to make friends with it. It might be easier to try and change a vehicle into a Gadget, though, and grant it a mind and extra capabilities that way.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
          Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Working...
          X