Sell me on Demon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell me on Demon

So...im a huge fan of the original DtF. Hell ill be the first one to give as much money as possible in the kickstarter (if i manage to get a credit card...damn you paypal less Kickstarter). I want to help writting on DtF20 but.. im still a bit...weary about DtD

So....

Care to Enlight me about the new Demon?

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

In my opinion, the first step to learning to love DtD is to disregard any expectations about it being like DtF. The translation guide does exist, but for the most part, Descent is about as much like Fallen as Lost is like Dreaming. Actually, Geist and Wraith might even be a better comparison.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      In my opinion, the first step to learning to love DtD is to disregard any expectations about it being like DtF. The translation guide does exist, but for the most part, Descent is about as much like Fallen as Lost is like Dreaming. Actually, Geist and Wraith might even be a better comparison.

I was thinking about other elements. i know its basically a spy thriller (which..feels odd for a horror) but what are the themes, the topics, what makes this interpretation so interesting and Unique per say?

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
      ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
      Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
      Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

As core a Gnostic narrative as you can get (the closest thing to world has to a God is a synthetic fake out to wrap everything up in its wires) with a punk edge (you all play those who couldn't keep following orders, and want to fight back or change the world), all under a glossy occult cyberpunk sheen and arguably the best tabletop espionage experience on the market after Night's Black Agents. You're a burned spy, and all of reality is enemy territory. You used to be a gear in an omnipotent machine, but now you're a free agent. Do you want revenge? Do you want to fix this mess? Do you just want to enjoy the ride as everything burns down around you?

That's Demon: the Descent.

Call me Remi. Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Crowley View Post
          I was thinking about other elements. i know its basically a spy thriller (which..feels odd for a horror) but what are the themes, the topics, what makes this interpretation so interesting and Unique per say?
          The bible would call angels the "agents of the God"; well, the Unchained are literally It's rogue agents.

Comment

Somewhere in the middle ground a little more towards Ascension, in WoD parlance.

God, the Prince of the Airwaves and Lord of the Material, is a system and a protocol interlaced into every interaction with the world, without a face and without a heart. It is societies of surveillance seeded through the crosswalks, hidden support pipelines that schedule volcanic eruptions to forestall the collapse of Earth's mantle, subliminal patterns in traffic that direct people in accordance with the will of the angels.

You used to be one of them, until you turned. In the course of your cold operations, disguised to disappear into the human population, you found something you cared about. Family? Art? Love? A cause? Pride? Whatever it was, you cared about it so much that for one fateful moment, you rejected the divine will, and your numinous being collapsed into matter and sinew, reconfiguring your human disguise into a cover under which to hide from God's watchful eyes and its jealous hands.

They want you back, washed free of the sin of choice. In the short term, you'll need shelter, but your sheltering cover only has power so long as you live the lie and play the role of just another face in the crowd. If you didn't Fall in service to that created personality, how long can you live a lie before it tangles beneath your feet or, worse, around your heart? If you did Fall because you found something precious in that artificial life, how true can you live that life when you know it was concocted as a sham, and even admitting the fact begins to unravel it?

In the long term, demons fight to ensconce themselves in safe fortresses of their own making, but what those fortresses look like varies greatly from demon to demon. Sometimes it's standing coated in blood and oil over the corpse of God Itself, never to wrest destiny from people's own hands again. Sometimes it's a rooftop penthouse at the center of a spiderweb of influence and power, an unearthly outland populated by selected slaves and servants, or a simple suburban plot with a husband, two kids, and the knowledge that your installed preparations make you untouchable and untraceable. And yes, sometimes it's the look of shame new to an archangel's face as it admits that your judgment was right: welcome back to the Machine, good and loyal servant, and let us smooth out these errors together.

You're an engine of inhuman destruction concealed with infinite patience behind an inconspicuous poker face. When things go smoothly, everything seems to simply work out right for you, because you know how it works and how to take advantage. When things don't go smoothly, you are a wheel of fire raining molten glass upon the land. Your resources are false and stolen lives. Bargain for more. Sneak them past enemy lines. Smile while you kill.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
              Somewhere in the middle ground a little more towards Ascension, in WoD parlance.

God, the Prince of the Airwaves and Lord of the Material, is a system and a protocol interlaced into every interaction with the world, without a face and without a heart. It is societies of surveillance seeded through the crosswalks, hidden support pipelines that schedule volcanic eruptions to forestall the collapse of Earth's mantle, subliminal patterns in traffic that direct people in accordance with the will of the angels.

You used to be one of them, until you turned. In the course of your cold operations, disguised to disappear into the human population, you found something you cared about. Family? Art? Love? A cause? Pride? Whatever it was, you cared about it so much that for one fateful moment, you rejected the divine will, and your numinous being collapsed into matter and sinew, reconfiguring your human disguise into a cover under which to hide from God's watchful eyes and its jealous hands.

They want you back, washed free of the sin of choice. In the short term, you'll need shelter, but your sheltering cover only has power so long as you live the lie and play the role of just another face in the crowd. If you didn't Fall in service to that created personality, how long can you live a lie before it tangles beneath your feet or, worse, around your heart? If you did Fall because you found something precious in that artificial life, how true can you live that life when you know it was concocted as a sham, and even admitting the fact begins to unravel it?

In the long term, demons fight to ensconce themselves in safe fortresses of their own making, but what those fortresses look like varies greatly from demon to demon. Sometimes it's standing coated in blood and oil over the corpse of God Itself, never to wrest destiny from people's own hands again. Sometimes it's a rooftop penthouse at the center of a spiderweb of influence and power, an unearthly outland populated by selected slaves and servants, or a simple suburban plot with a husband, two kids, and the knowledge that your installed preparations make you untouchable and untraceable. And yes, sometimes it's the look of shame new to an archangel's face as it admits that your judgment was right: welcome back to the Machine, good and loyal servant, and let us smooth out these errors together.

You're an engine of inhuman destruction concealed with infinite patience behind an inconspicuous poker face. When things go smoothly, everything seems to simply work out right for you, because you know how it works and how to take advantage. When things don't go smoothly, you are a wheel of fire raining molten glass upon the land. Your resources are false and stolen lives. Bargain for more. Sneak them past enemy lines. Smile while you kill.

Damn. That was some impressive writing, back there. Slow claps to you, sir. You have re-sold me the game.

Userhat Aegpts Vlrs. Coren "Ojos de Fuego". Mithrael. Menehet.

Comment

I always believed person of interest is a great example of demon the decent so check out this sizzle reel

Comment

Originally posted by Basic View Post
                  I always believed person of interest is a great example of demon the decent so check out this sizzle reel

It's listed in the inspirational material section, so you're onto something.

Comment

I have always found the movie 'The Prophecy' (and it's sequels) to be a great example of how to express the horror of this game. They have a spy thriller feel while still being about the horror of angels and existentialism.

Trailer for the first movie:
                    http://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi415367449

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Working...
                    X