Pacts and restricted Merits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacts and restricted Merits

Can a Pact grant access to a restricted merit? By restricted I mean two scenarios:
    1. The merit has prerequisites but the character doesn't fulfil them; like Inspiring in a character with Presence 1.
    2. The merit is part of an alternate setting, like the Optical Enhancements merit, from the Storyteller's Guide setting Altered State.
    Thanks
    Last edited by lbeaumanior; 10-01-2017, 04:15 PM.

1. You can give them the extra stats to meet the prereqs, but not ignore them.
    2. Really an ST judgment call. I wouldn't assume that I could do it by default but it's worth asking if you can reskin it, flavor it as Stigmata, etc.

2E Legacy Updates
    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
    Storm Keepers

Comment

If you go with scenario one then the pact would end up with more cost to accommodate the extra needed aspect. Presuming the ST feels it would be alright to do this. Tacking a single dot onto the cost of a merit is likely to be alright. Tacking on a way for a vampire to become a garou and give them 3 dots in str and 2 in medicine before we get to the merit is probably not happening.

Two is an ST call. The ST might decide hey there's a member of the Sons of Ether who wants to test out a some new "tech" and so the pact causes the mage to decide on you as the guinea pig. If not then I imagine there would either be the pact doing its best to approximate it, or the demon would just be made aware that the pact is not viable before signing and thus would be able to stop where it stands.

Comment

Errr no, that's just stupid, you gain access to the merit, not having the prerequisites means you can't use it

Comment

Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post
          Can a Pact grant access to a restricted merit? By restricted I mean two scenarios:
          1. The Merit has prerequisites but the character doesn't fulfil them; like Inspiring in a character with Presence 1.
          2. The merit is part of an alternate setting, like the Optical Enhancements merit, from the Storyteller's Guide setting Altered State.
          Thanks
          1. I'm with Shawarbaaz - they can get the Merit but can't use it. "Not my fault you didn't read the fine print." is perfectly in character for a Demonic deal.
          2. I'd say no - the Merits from alternate settings are based on the nature of that setting. As such, they don't exist‚Äč outside that setting to give. But as Caladriu said, you could just use it as a base for designing your own, if the ST is okay with that.

Bonus: Do note that Demons don't seem to be able to interface with the Supernatural parts of splats. So giving someone High Speech is questionable, dots in Primal Urge are right out. It is vague on Supernatural Merits (they are supernatural, but mortals can acquire them too - and "magic powers from Demonic Pact" are very in theme).

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
          X