Finally getting to run a Descent game but I had a few small questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally getting to run a Descent game but I had a few small questions

So I've owned the books for a while, but I finally found a group who wants to play, but there are a few small things I was curious about and just hadn't managed to find them in the materials or on the forum already.

1. Would sneaking into an Infrastructure, even if you're not caught, be considered a Breaking Point for a Cover (Think something like a Soccer Mom or Middle Schooler)? I would say no, but the book brings up murder, but doesn't specify whether it's any murder, or just a murder you're known to commit.

2. Does a Pact fix inconsistencies or are they just ignored? For example, Say the Demon's Cover was a white Scotsman who makes a Pact and his side of the bargain is the humans sister, but she's Korean. Does the Pact make everyone around ignore the fact that the sister is racially different from the rest of the family? Does it make people fill in some story like that she's adopted? Does it change the sister to match the cover? Does it change the Cover overall to match the new piece? If it does remain an inconsistency in the Cover, does it cause a compromise when noticed by agents of the G-M?

3. Say there was a fight with a cult because a plan went wrong, would every Compromise be rolled, or would there just be one roll after the event was over?

4. When using multiple Covers, do the people that are a part of your Cover not notice you're gone if you spend a lot of time in the other Cover?

5. How does a Demon build up a five dot cult without a massive amount of Compromises? Once they become part of your cult, do the members stop causing compromises?
    Last edited by Badger King; 10-05-2017, 08:47 PM.

Originally posted by Badger King View Post
    3. Say there was a fight with a cult because a plan went wrong, would every Compromise be rolled, or would there just be one roll after the event was over?
    That depends heavily on the compromises.

4. When using multiple Covers, do the people that are a part of your Cover not notice you're gone if you spend a lot of time in the other Cover?
    They notice. This is a specific draw of low-maintenance burner Covers — nobody bats an eye if the vagrant who lives beneath the overpass isn't seen for a month or two, but the always-on-time corporate executive taking a week off is going to raise some eyebrows.

5. How does a Demon build up a five dot cult without a massive amount of Compromises? Once they become part of your cult, do the members stop causing compromises?
    Consolidating the group and your key revelations before you give them is the big one — giving a small cadre of loyal stigmatics the full functional rundown takes one roll and then never happens again in relation to that group unless they tell somebody or you look to expand your secret conspiracy.

Also, Mundane Embeds help a fair bit, as do Pacts.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

So I've owned the books for a while, but I finally found a group who wants to play, but there are a few small things I was curious about and just hadn't managed to find them in the materials or on the forum already.

1. Would sneaking into an Infrastructure, even if you're not caught, be considered a Breaking Point for a Cover (Think something like a Soccer Mom or Middle Scholer)? I would say no, but the book brings up murder, but doesn't specify whether it's any murder, or just a murder you're known to commit.
      I usually get Facades to infiltrate infrastructures - the machine won't bat an eye at me for looking like a nondescript version of one of it's cultists, then again sometimes those get sacrificed, and which one's a better sacrifice than the guy nobody knows? And compromise over actions is based on perception. The shooter in Las Vegas didn't had a traffic ticket - pulling that off with such a cover would call for compromise on account of everyone going WTF? Then again, you also gotta get caught doing that stuff in the first place to be compromised.

2. Does a Pact fix inconsistencies or are they just ignored? For example, Say the Demon's Cover was a white Scotsman who makes a Pact and his side of the bargain is the humans sister, but she's Korean. Does the Pact make everyone around ignore the fact that the sister is racially different from the rest of the family? Does it make people fill in some story like that she's adopted? Does it change the sister to match the cover? Does it change the Cover overall to match the new piece? If it does remain an inconsistency in the Cover, does it cause a compromise when noticed by agents of the G-M?
      IIRC, only the pact bound and those directly affected by the pact get their recollections altered to fit the pact. So the sister's neighbors will go "what the fuck? Did they adopt this guy?". It was a plot in a game of mine, this agency was selling covers, seemingly good one (good rating) but the patchworks had that sort of fatal flaws. Basically they just attached a bunch of lives together without giving a fuck about context and profited on it. At least they made for great covers to burn into Going Loud.

Each compromise gets rolled separately. Say I get singled out in the facility as the pseudo cultist and they wanna sacrifice me and I go "aww hell no" and transform. Compromise. Then I return to one of my original covers, but I get detected in the facility without being supposed to be there, then I roll again.

By pact is the most expedite way.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post

Consolidating the group and your key revelations before you give them is the big one — giving a small cadre of loyal stigmatics the full functional rundown takes one roll and then never happens again in relation to that group unless they tell somebody or you look to expand your secret conspiracy.
        To ask for some further clarification, would you get a compromise for suddenly trying to create a cult, even if you're not revealing you're the entity that is being worshipped? Example being, Billy Batson from the high school baseball team and a member of the Christian Student Union suddenly invites his classmate Darla Dudley to join him in worshipping Ansurael the Devourer. Does this count as out of the ordinary for Compromise purposes?

Originally posted by Malus View Post
        It was a plot in a game of mine, this agency was selling covers, seemingly good one (good rating) but the patchworks had that sort of fatal flaws. Basically they just attached a bunch of lives together without giving a fuck about context and profited on it.

I love this idea and I'm likely going to steal it.

Comment

To ask for some further clarification, would you get a compromise for suddenly trying to create a cult, even if you're not revealing you're the entity that is being worshipped? Example being, Billy Batson from the high school baseball team and a member of the Christian Student Union suddenly invites his classmate Darla Dudley to join him in worshipping Ansurael the Devourer. Does this count as out of the ordinary for Compromise purposes?
          Usually getting people into cults relies in subtler tactics. You display the benefits of the cult as a lure (all these motherfuckers won the lottery? how in the hell?), and conceal the sacrifices and drawbacks of belonging to them while making them crave the social validation that comes with it. But yes, if you act so bluntly, particularly by inviting someone who you didn't run a background check on, you'll have a bad time. Prospective members need to be vetted. Again, if you get a cult out of a pact, the cult will magically flock around the person who formed the pact with you.

I love this idea and I'm likely going to steal it.
          Getting the necessary intelligence on how to make those covers work from the agency carried a premium, which they seldom divulged to first time costumers, having them rely on them more and more and more eventually getting them to work at the agency or watch their covers crumble into dust. And if that happened, they came after your ass themselves cuz you were too much of a liability if caught by the Machine.

Comment

Working...
          X