Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternatives to WP Dot cost for crafting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to WP Dot cost for crafting?

So!

The gadgets system is super cool. Players want to make cool stuff, but we hate the Dot of WP to actually create the things, especially one shots - it feels like an XP tax to doing what a character would want to do regardless if they built their character for it...

I was thinking something along the lines of a condition perhaps, or just changing the cost to be more Aether + Willpower points or whatever. Do people have any alternatives that they've used that might be helpful? Obviously want to avoid the ability to throw out custom super-powerful equipment constantly, but I don't want to feel like I'm punishing my players by frittering away their XP on WP dots to actually make things.

The operative questions here are, "What do you want gadget-making players to do in the narrative proximity of making a gadget?" and "What do five Beats usually translate to in your average story runtime?"

There's also a subsidiary question — speaking from the position of having given my players large numbers of options that they went on to never use — which is "How much of their Installation is necessary to the game relative to just being fun hypothetical exercises that don't translate to in-story utility?"

And then of course there's the much, much smaller question, which is "How much does having the rotation of gadgets be permanent matter relative to just applying Sanctity of Merits so they can deconstruct their creations later to reclaim the Willpower dots sustaining them?"
    Last edited by Satchel; 10-19-2017, 12:51 AM.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      The operative questions here are, "What do you want gadget-making players to do in the narrative proximity of making a gadget?" and "What do five Beats usually translate to in your average story runtime?"

There's also a subsidiary question — speaking from the position of having given my players large numbers of options that they went on to never use — which is "How much of their Installation is necessary to the game relative to just being fun hypothetical exercises that don't translate to in-story utility?"

And then of course there's the much, much smaller question, which is "How much does having the rotation of gadgets be permanent matter relative to just applying Sanctity of Merits so they can deconstruct their creations later to reclaim the Willpower dots sustaining them?"
      Those...are actually questions I really should be asking myself when I ponder gadget ideas. I have tons of ideas with them, but many are fanciful ones that mirror either fiction I enjoy or are simply ideas I like. Pondering on them being in regular use...hmmm.

Comment

Hmm, as a baseline applying sanctity of merits rules for the WP dot would be okay. Ultimately though I think I would like them to narratively be something to solve a problem - prep type tools for heist style sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenesis View Post
          Hmm, as a baseline applying sanctity of merits rules for the WP dot would be okay. Ultimately though I think I would like them to narratively be something to solve a problem - prep type tools for heist style sessions.
          Sure. Have specifically appropriate materials (or pieces of Infrastructure) wave the Willpower cost. They can spend WP to force it, or get the right materials.

You might also speed up One Shot creation so they can be created on the fly for a WP point. (Though I could be misremembering stuff on this point.)
          Last edited by Vent0; 10-19-2017, 08:51 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
          X