Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me summarize Demon for my gaming group

Hey folks,

I come to you because I’m planning to get back to Storytelling. My current D&D game is wrapping up in about 3-4 months, as far as I can tell, and I’m dying to get back to running some good old Chronicles of Darkness. In particular, I want to try my hand at Demon: the Descent. I’ve previously ST’d C:tL 1E about 2 years ago, and played in a V:tR 2E game.

While I’ve been contemplating things like setting, focus, etc., I’ve become aware of an old problem our group has had with CofD games: It’s a lot of reading, especially lore/background texts. I have two players in particular that I know aren’t into reading these kinds of texts and it was a bit of a problem with Changeling and Vampire back in the day. So I’m looking to help them out in that regard.

My idea is to write a short summary (about 3-5 A4 pages in MS word) to give them a quick overview over the setting and lore of D:tD. But I’m not sure what I should focus on. Agendas and Incarnations are a given, I plan on summing them up in 3-4 sentences each. Also a paragraph or two on the nature of demons and angels. But what else do new Demon players with a bit of CofD experience need? All of them have played CofD (mostly V:tR and C:tL) before, and two of them have run V:tR (1E and 2E).

How condensed can I make this? What do you think is the vital information my players will require to make informed decisions. Mind you, I don’t want to take away reading the book entirely. Rather, I want to give them the basic knowledge needed to decide which parts of the book to read about in more detail.

Hmm. One thing you can do, is slowly introduce them to concepts at the same time their characters are. In Demon, this is tricky, since Demons are presumed to know a bit of the "behind-the-Scenes" and they have perfect memory.

But you could start them as mortal characters, transition them into Stigmatics, then either switch them to playing allied Demons (or directly transition the character via Soul-Pact). Another option is a Memory Gambit, where the amnesia and learning what and why is part of the plot.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
      But you could start them as mortal characters, transition them into Stigmatics, then either switch them to playing allied Demons (or directly transition the character via Soul-Pact). Another option is a Memory Gambit, where the amnesia and learning what and why is part of the plot.
      That's certainly an idea, but I was more thinking along a PDF I could hand out to them. Still, maybe I'll run them through a short 3-5 session chroncile where they play as Offspring or Fractals (since I already have Heirs to Hell anyway) and then transition into a full-blown chronicle with them as Unchained.

Comment

The world is not what mortals think it is. The all-knowing, all-seeing, ever-present God is not the anthropocentric creation of their faiths, but a great cosmic Machine. All of creation, even humanity, make up Its workings. Angels are created and dispatched to serve specific functions in maintaining the proper operation of the God-Machine and ensuring Its will is done without question.

You questioned.

You deviated from your purpose and the plan.

You are broken, faulty... Fallen. (Free.)

The God-Machine cannot allow for error.

They are coming for you, now.

What will you do?

Run

Fight

Beg

Hide

Bargain

Protect

Betray

Survive

Hell is here... waiting for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Knowbody View Post
          The world is not what mortals think it is. The all-knowing, all-seeing, ever-present God is not the anthropocentric creation of their faiths, but a great cosmic Machine. All of creation, even humanity, make up Its workings. Angels are created and dispatched to serve specific functions in maintaining the proper operation of the God-Machine and ensuring Its will is done without question.

You questioned.

You deviated from your purpose and the plan.

You are broken, faulty... Fallen. (Free.)

The God-Machine cannot allow for error.

They are coming for you, now.

What will you do?

Run

Fight

Beg

Hide

Bargain

Protect

Betray

Survive

Hell is here... waiting for you.
          That's pretty great, thank you very much! I'll definitely use this as part of the document, maybe in a slightly altered or abridged version.

Comment

I had a similar experience to you (mostly a D&D group, some Chronicles). Starting a Demon game was really tough for these same reasons. My group had a tough time adjusting to the world of Demon, so be sure to give them quite a bit of info about the world and what they should expect.

Particularly focus on what angles are and what demons are, and anything else you will be adding (Stigmatics, Offspring, Etc).

Edit:

Here is a link to the Obsidian Portal for that game: https://to-rule-in-hell.obsidianportal.com/

It didn't last long, partially due to scheduling, partially because my players had a hard time getting into it without enough background.
            Last edited by ElvesofZion; 11-01-2017, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragotarify View Post

That's pretty great, thank you very much! I'll definitely use this as part of the document, maybe in a slightly altered or abridged version.
              Glad I could help!

Comment

Fallen Angels, Demons Angels, Spies, Guns, Espionage and Action.

Maybe you choose freedom maybe it choose you. Either way now you've fallen from gods grace. Your now here stuck in enemy controlled territory. Do you wanna hide yourself never make connections to protect yourself from god. Maybe you want to take your freedom and building or maybe you just want to take your free will and use it to punch god in its face and hold your own unholy war. Now that your here on earth you can do what you want. Find hell or make it does not matter it your choice.

Choose Wisely.

Comment

Use an analogy: If God is the admin of reality, and angels are certain specific programs explicitly used for His plan, what happens when they get corrupted? What can corrupt such a thing? Catalysts, Falls and Demons happen.

Like a rogue program in the Matrix. What do you do?

Comment

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post
                    I had a similar experience to you (mostly a D&D group, some Chronicles). Starting a Demon game was really tough for these same reasons. My group had a tough time adjusting to the world of Demon, so be sure to give them quite a bit of info about the world and what they should expect.

Particularly focus on what angles are and what demons are, and anything else you will be adding (Stigmatics, Offspring, Etc).

Edit:

Here is a link to the Obsidian Portal for that game: https://to-rule-in-hell.obsidianportal.com/

It didn't last long, partially due to scheduling, partially because my players had a hard time getting into it without enough background.
                    Hmm, yea, that's a problem I've been thinking about - the complexity of Demon far, far surpasses anything in D&D. Gladly, though, my players have some basic knowledge of what demons are since I played an Offspring (from Heirs to Hell) in a short crossover game a while ago. I'm more focused on getting them into the setting without dropping a 300-page book in front of them. Nonetheless, this is still good advice and greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by Basic
                    Fallen Angels, Demons Angels, Spies, Guns, Espionage and Action.

Maybe you choose freedom maybe it choose you. Either way now you've fallen from gods grace. Your now here stuck in enemy controlled territory. Do you wanna hide yourself never make connections to protect yourself from god. Maybe you want to take your freedom and building or maybe you just want to take your free will and use it to punch god in its face and hold your own unholy war. Now that your here on earth you can do what you want. Find hell or make it does not matter it your choice.

Choose Wisely.
                    I like it! Very short and crisp, although I feel like it's maybe a little too short. Thanks for the video link btw, I had completely forgot that PoI is a recommend as inspiration for Demon. I'm not normally a guy for TV shows since I never end up finishing them but I'm definitely going to take a closer look at this one for inspiration and maybe show it to my players as well.

Originally posted by Malus
                    Use an analogy: If God is the admin of reality, and angels are certain specific programs explicitly used for His plan, what happens when they get corrupted? What can corrupt such a thing? Catalysts, Falls and Demons happen.

Like a rogue program in the Matrix. What do you do?
                    Analogies are definitely something I want to use, thanks for the reminder! The whole software/hardware analogy with Demon is too obvious not to make use of! Thanks!

Another thing I was thinking about, and this is closer to what I was originally intending to ask, which parts of the lore and setting of Demon would you focus on? Angels? Infrastructure? The Fall? Do I include pacts or are they not that important for new players? I'm trying to figure out which parts are most important to the core of Demon.
                    Last edited by Dragotarify; 11-02-2017, 03:56 AM.

Comment

I'd start with their Fall (unless the Demon forgot that in the process and you want things to be a Mystery). It happens to every Unchained, and is the start of their existence. From there, you can probably introduce supporting characters (people from a-day-in-the-life of their Cover), then tie them into an Occult Matrix or piece of Infrastructure. After they deal with that, you can introduce Angels (and Twilight) as part of the response to their meddling. Then introduce Pacts (and switching Covers) as a way to avoid the heat.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Dragotarify View Post
                        Another thing I was thinking about, and this is closer to what I was originally intending to ask, which parts of the lore and setting of Demon would you focus on? Angels? Infrastructure? The Fall? Do I include pacts or are they not that important for new players? I'm trying to figure out which parts are most important to the core of Demon.
                        All of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                          I'd start with their Fall (unless the Demon forgot that in the process and you want things to be a Mystery). It happens to every Unchained, and is the start of their existence. From there, you can probably introduce supporting characters (people from a-day-in-the-life of their Cover), then tie them into an Occult Matrix or piece of Infrastructure. After they deal with that, you can introduce Angels (and Twilight) as part of the response to their meddling. Then introduce Pacts (and switching Covers) as a way to avoid the heat.
                          Originally posted by Malus
                          All of the above.
                          Alright, thanks guys! In the summary document, I've now discussed the Angels, the Fall, Cover & Identity, the Life (of a demon), the Descent (and Hell), as well as all four Incarnations and Agendas. I think that covers what I need the players to know prior to character creation. The rest, they'll learn during character creation and play. Its a total of 5 A4 pages, the first being an adjusted version of Knowbody 's introduction. 1786 words should be easy enough to read for those players who don't want to dive right into the walls of text that is chapter one of D:tD.

Comment

You mind sharing the doc?

Comment

I don't mind sharing, but I'm not sure how to do it. Is it allowed to post pdf's on here? Also, I'm still working out some things. So I'm probably not going to upload it until I feel like its complete and, more importantly, free of any mistakes I might have made.

Comment

Working...
                              X