Mobile Infrastructure?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Infrastructure?

Can Infrastructure - and more specifically suborned Infrastructure - be mobile? Could a demon, for example, rip out the eldritch engine at the heart of a greater piece of Infrastructure, put it on the back of his pickup and drive away into the sunset, happy in the knowledge that it'll still keep generating Aether?

I would say no, given the level of intricacy involved in Infrastructure and the breadth of variables that allow a given chunk of the Machine to work.

Might serve as a handy stockpile, though.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      I would say no, given the level of intricacy involved in Infrastructure and the breadth of variables that allow a given chunk of the Machine to work.

Might serve as a handy stockpile, though.
      That was my thought as well, but I thought I'd put the question to the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
        Can Infrastructure - and more specifically suborned Infrastructure - be mobile? Could a demon, for example, rip out the eldritch engine at the heart of a greater piece of Infrastructure, put it on the back of his pickup and drive away into the sunset, happy in the knowledge that it'll still keep generating Aether?

I mean, it would depend on the Infrastructure. If it is already mobile, I don't see why the Demon couldn't redirect it elsewhere. If it isn't, then I doubt stripping out parts will keep it working. It might be able to get reassembled elsewhere, but that is... ST and circumstance dependent.

Also, "what is Infrastructure"? Something with the Infrastructure Condition? Because I think people and animals could have it, and those are mobile...

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Some aspects of it may be mobile. A person could be a 'cog' in a piece of infrastructure or a van that is apart of a network man be a piece of infrastructure. The pieces and parts need not directly be machinery and the individual pieces can move so I'd say infrastructure could be mobile but generally is in one place or one area. Plus, as infrastructure is not clearly mapped out, IE no "1+1=2" mechanics it is rather flexible for the ST to use as it is required. A general rule though that seems to hold true is that the more people there are the more infrastructure and the fewer people the less infrastructure or influence.

Remember, infrastructure is more than just a set of papers being tossed off a skyscraper.

Comment

Let me ask you a question what do you mean by mobile. The infrastructure could stay in place or in reality, the universe moves around.

Nothing says an infrastructure can't be a mobile one showing up and moving when needed. Remember all things are possible in the God-Machine just speak with your choice of channeller I mean GM.

Comment

I think a lot of people envision FACILITY to = Infrastructure -- but whereas "facilities are surrounded, created, maintained, and defended by Infrastructure," Infrastructure is ultimately 'just' the Angel equivalent to the Anchor (sorta) and Resonant conditions, iirc.

Complicating the matter is that the book is very unclear as to which is which -- Aether recharge makes reference to hooking up to infrastructure to recharge it, for example. Infrastructure can definitely be a portable object, or even some people. So presumably, demons are able to recharge off people, and "suborned infrastructure" could even be a cultist.

I suspect most references to Infrastructure in DtD are intended to refer to Facilities. Raze Infrastructure sure looks like by RAW that it could be used to destroy even some weird infrastructure -- angels, snipers, and even The Crimson Plague are potential infrastructure, meaning demons could destroy some very, very strange things indeed and put it to very weird places. In at least one God Machine Chronicle storyline, the PCs -ARE- infrastructure, meaning a demon could, RAW, obliterate the party with Raze Infrastructure. So I think most purely mechanical and demon related references in DtD to Infrastructure are supposed to refer to Facilities... but of course, knock yourself out.

I know in my games, I will be using the letter of the law for what infrastructure can be -- basically anything. The PCs, and players, certainly won't suspect the rather clean RAW definition (the angel equivalent of resonant) of Infrastructure.

The most interesting kind of Infrastructure, imo? Someone with the Destiny merit. Strangely, this is a mage specific merit.

Comment

Originally posted by Deinos View Post
                ...Aether recharge makes reference to hooking up to infrastructure to recharge it, for example. Infrastructure can definitely be a portable object, or even some people. So presumably, demons are able to recharge off people, and "suborned infrastructure" could even be a cultist...
                So that's where the euphemism "Hooking Up" came from...

Demon: "Come on, baby, I just need to recharge my batteries!"

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                  So that's where the euphemism "Hooking Up" came from...

*cut to dolphins*

Comment

Basically what I had in mind as well.

Comment

I mean, it would depend on the Infrastructure. If it is already mobile, I don't see why the Demon couldn't redirect it elsewhere.
                      I would also add that the mobility must be critical to its function as Infrastructure. So not just mobile in the sense of small enough to carry or load onto something.

Comment

I do love the Idea of (potentailly) a stigmatic retainer doubling as infastructure. Though in that case it'd be a question of if potent blood would work better than SI or if in tandem with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X