No announcement yet.

Night Horrors: Enemy Action on DTRPG!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all! What a rabbit-hole I've found myself in. I think I read about Verney already, but I don't have Beast's Night Horrors. Thanks! Will look into this :3 ((unrelated note, maybe not discussion worthy since out of topic, but, I'm thinking the contagion sounds like the abyssal spin on divine fire! Or just my interest in China Meville's concept of "torque" ;3 ))

Comment

Heeey looks the PoD for this bad boy will be ready to go on Wednesday!

Comment

It is indeed, with errata incorporated! Here you go: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/...iate_id=182989

Matthew Dawkins
        In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: http://https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Should get my copy by tomorow. I haven't bought the PDF, so it's gonna be all new for me. But I do expect great things
          Last edited by Cinder; 04-26-2018, 05:19 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Got mine yesterday. The circle is complete.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Alright, now that I have the book within my hands, I can say for certain it's a good one. One of the most solid of the Night Horrors series, and that's meant as a high compliment. Skimmed through it all and read Cryptids and Angels (what can I say, being a modular book I go first to what I enjoy more), and liked most of what I've seen.

Some I actually loved more than others, like Beelzebub (which is a great antagonist) and Alban (which I want to hug) and Ophelia Adder and Unwashed Isaac, but overall the books filled with cool content and lot of hooks and ideas, both explicit and implied.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                Alright, now that I have the book within my hands, I can say for certain it's a good one. One of the most solid of the Night Horrors series, and that's meant as a high compliment. Skimmed through it all and read Cryptids and Angels (what can I say, being a modular book I go first to what I enjoy more), and liked most of what I've seen.

Some I actually loved more than others, like Beelzebub (which is a great antagonist) and Alban (which I want to hug) and Ophelia Adder and Unwashed Isaac, but overall the books filled with cool content and lot of hooks and ideas, both explicit and implied.
                I’m glad that you liked Beelzebub and Alban. I was very proud of both of those. On the subject of Alban, now that a lot of people have had the chance to read the book, I can speak a little bit about what I was thinking when writing him. Specifically, I’m going to answer the question that everyone has been desperately trying to figure out (by which, of course, I mean that there may have been a person who vaguely wondered about it in passing and then didn’t think of it ever again). So, why exactly did I decide to give the goat purple eyes? Despite what most people would probably assume, it wasn’t just random weirdness. It was, in fact, a small tribute to a dear friend of mine that passed away a couple years ago. Blind Eric was a pretty cool guy. I’ve got tons of stories about him, but rather than completely derailing the thread, I’ll just say that he was knife collecting, Odin worshiping blind man with a twisted sense of humor and a love of role playing games and martial arts. Eric had two glass eyes, and he wasn’t opposed to having a little fun with them at other people’s expense. He sometimes mentioned that he wished he could afford to purchase some high end, custom glass eyes, and one of his dream pairs would be a set of purple goat’s eyes. When I started writing Alban, I decided very early on that I would give the poor creature the eyes that Eric always wanted, as a small nod to my departed friend. And now you all know the answer to the question nobody asked, but that I wanted to answer anyway.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res. Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action; C20 Anthology of Dreams
                Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

So I have the writing in me, but I need a break, so it occurred to me I never told the story of Wednesday. So, let's do that.

Actually, no, first, context on why Wednesday is in Enemy Action.

So back when the bids for who got what were going on, my original bid was for a demon and a stigmatic. The Demon was always going to be Sanjha, as I've been wanting to get a rakshasa(or rakshasi, as it turned out being) in Descent for forever and a day, and the stigmatic was going to be someone cribbing on the magical girl aesthetic because I have also been wanting to get a magical girl into Chronicles forever and a Stigmatic has actually always been my preferred take on it. Sanjha was very different in the original thought process, more directly tackling a Hindu interpretation of Descent's lore, having her directly confront the God-Machine as the incarnation of the Samsara and employing her Covers as a means of hacking the wheel of incarnation to directly confront reality on multiple layers in pursuit of Nirvana for herself and a select few.

HOWEVER, I got thwarted by the most mundane of vectors: When I replied to the request for what I was bidding on, I replied to a fellow author instead of doing Reply All to stake my claim, and so at the end of the day, I got two demons instead. And I, for a brief bit, had no idea who the second demon was going to be....until the obvious stared me in the face. I had played the character that deserved to be the second demon.

Which is funny, because Wednesday was not a demon when I started playing him. He was a bird.

Back in the first year of attending BYU-I, I had been part of a Mage the Ascension game, with the party being this small cadre of Mages who were also really just drug addicts and dealers. In that game, we had the Ecstatic, Aaron Black, drug dealer and teacher of enlightenment who aspired for the elevation of humanity on the whole, Lydia Megan [last name here](called Megan 2), who was a newly Awakened mage taking lessons from Aaron and generally kind of a clean kid, and finally the Verbana Witch Megan Calloway(called Megan 1), a heroin addict and homeless woman whose mentor-and-only-real-father-figure was mysteriously killed. Matt, the guy who played Megan, wanted to have a Familiar, but was having trouble divvying up the points for his Spheres in a way that satisfied him and got it. So, instead, Megan inherited the familiar, a raven, from her mentor Gregory Calloway.

And because that sounded cooler and weirder than the paladin I was planning on, I decided I was going to play that familiar.

In case you ever caught one of the light arguments I've had about the playability of familiars in Mage, now you know why. I fleshed out the raven by saying that it was inhabited by a time spirit called Twisted-Hours-from-Broken-Seconds, the result of a drug trip meeting an Awakening, and proposed the name Wednesday because I had gotten Matt to read American Gods recently and liked it better than Huginn or Muninn. I also gave the bird Amnesia and Dark Fate, because I didn't want to think too hard about what led Twist to this place.

The first half of the game was basically us dicking around, selling drugs, looking for a Node of our own, occasionally running foul of the the mobs in Seattle, resolving tensions with werewolves who are responding to the growth a thousand year old tree in five years, stuff like that. It was by and large just a group of broken people hanging out and becoming a surrogate little family as they tried and failed at a lot of random things. We snuck into a Mormon temple and had to help Megan 2 out because her shyness kept her from saying no to these weirdos who somehow had a Node, we scared off a heavy addict, had an awkward dinner party with a recovering addict, we botched a drug deal, Me and Aaron got high to discover some secrets and then flooded the house because we thought it was one fire, I had legitimate cause to say "I am the terror that flaps in the night!" once and discovered pork rinds, stuff like that. It was fun shenanigans.

That all started to change when circumstances forced us to investigate the Calloway Manor. Greg's body was still in the main entry way.

It turns out a lot of things that were starting to happen, that were changing, that were moving in response to something, were rooted in Greg's murder, and the ambition behind it. We soon discovered there was a demon who was moving around, building a base of power and arranging things in anticipation of a celestial convergence that was going to change the game for a lot of people-in other games, it let the Order of Hermes wage unholy war with the vampires of Los Angeles and kick off a new mage/vampire war, and it also allowed for a mass resurrection in New York- and that Gregory Calloway had helped the demon to figure out what to do with it.

On my own side of things, I learned from the god of the forest that my character was fundamentally broken, missing parts of himself. In fact, I think that was the final straw that led us to the Manor-I went in before anyone else. Upon discovering the shadow man who had killed Greg, I started tracking him down, and I found him. I found the demon named Cacus, and he had found me. I found him because I was time.

He found me because he had other parts of me, and he gave them back to me. I became whole in a way I didn't know was missing. Not completely whole-but enough to know how much more I was broken.

Turns out, Wednesday wasn't a spirit, but a demon-a Fiend named Zrvaniel, who was one of a few who had managed to find a way out of the Abyss really early on and also managed to avoid becoming Earthbound, and had incarnated over the ages as all manner of things, including Persian Gods and Roman Commanders, Greek Monsters and Norse Sages-and more. Zrvaniel had a problem, though, where the War in Heaven had left him fragile-death caused his fragmented essence to scatter, and time was mostly needed for him to come back together. In the meantime, he mostly believed that he was whatever he was inhabiting at the time. Gregory Calloway had bound him as a familiar, and because of the way bonds work, the death of Greg had also fragmented Zrvaniel, and should anything happen to Megan now, Zrvan would also scatter.

And it was Wednesday who had come up with the plan to defeat God-using the psychic guidance and pressure of an elder demon, Wednesday, Cacus, and Nothiel(who was the recovering addict, actually) would elevate humanity into Awakening, and continue to nurture them until they could collectively overthrow the Demon, at which point, with the alliance of the Fallen to them, they could overcome God. Cacus saw them as generals over humanity even in their Awakened state, Wednesday felt they were more shepherds and closer in alliance than that-but either way, they all were determined to pit the whole of Humanity Awakened against God and win.

This....was a problem. Megan 1 was vehemently against Cacus for killing Greg, and determined to ruin all his efforts, Megan 2 in the meanwhile had been raised Christian and had trouble trusting that anything coming from a demon was good. On the opposite side, it was my plan, one I committed to because, like the other demons in the war, I loved humanity and desire to see their inheritance come to pass. Meanwhile, Aaron Black was infiltrating the cult of Nothiel, and was mostly on board with the Awakening of all mankind since that was his MO anyways, though he was skeptical.

It was a rough time. Megan 1 nearly killed me with a book, one time we thought Aaron was being a traitor so we tortured him by popping limbs out of sockets until he revealed he was about to tell us all the truth anyways, eventually a demonologist yanked me together into a whole being and Megan bound me with my name, I took posession of a human, we discovered the randomly growing tree was the earth's response to the ritual coming up, etc. etc.

The family basically ended.

In the end, we had to make decisions. Wednesday decided to put faith in humanity by trusting Megan to allow the ritual to happen, but turned on his partner since the dawn of time and murdered him for her revenge in order to try and make that happen. Aaron went full on into the cult and committed to the ritual. The Megans teamed up with Mormon Celestial Choristers and wiped out Ritual spot one, and then basically shot the essence of the tree into the ritual, shattering the elder demon and killing all but Aaron, who became a host for a shard of the elder, but at the cost of Megan 1 falling into a coma. Wednesday would have committed suicide and abided in the Abyss until the end of days, except that the spell that cancelled out the ritual shatter him again, leaving him as a confused young man, who Megan 2 decided to take care of and watch. Aaron said goodbye to Megan in her coma, and then left to wander the earth, searching for the elder demon's shards.

By the way, this in a world where our other games are following the journey of the Antichrist and leading to inevitable End of the World. We recommitted to finishing the Desdemona Chronicle this year, in fact.

Wednesday is one my best characters, and his humanist-driven probably-world-ending ambition was basically too good to pass up for in Enemy Action, someone whose motivations and goals are all too twisty to neatly name him villain and protagonist, and therefore someone who fit the bill of book perfectly. His issue with memory and the way that affected his relationship to humanity was also a unique vector that I thought would make him different from the others-in the end, I never could get that to quite look like I wanted it to, since I also wanted to provide player tools with my characters and the two desires clashed, but I did what I could. He's also an important character for me personally, because it was playing as him that solidified the friendships with the people I'm living with even now.

So, yeah. I admit, he might not be the most interesting of the demons in Enemy Action (there are a lot of cool characters in there, no lie), but once I got that pitch, I think you can see why I had to put him in. Hope you all can find as good a use for him in your games as he ended up serving in our best game.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

ArcaneArts That is a seriously cool origin, and it goes a ways to elaborate on Wednesday's personality and the dangers therein. I'm presuming that his alternate Covers are further references to this game - highly approve of that. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
                      ArcaneArts That is a seriously cool origin, and it goes a ways to elaborate on Wednesday's personality and the dangers therein. I'm presuming that his alternate Covers are further references to this game - highly approve of that. Thanks for sharing it with us.
                      Actually, the only direct reference is the raven. Alexander Wayfarer ties into how the capabilities of Mages heavily informs the theory and basis he works from (While the rules kept me from making a full crossover villain, it has always been my intent that Wednesday be a character who can act as a villain in a lot of the other gamelines), and while Wendy was the familiar's nickname, Wendy Odile Elian was my initial answer to how Wednesday would operate in the world of Descent. At the end of the Mage game, he had possessed a young man with black hair, and some of that got gender swapped into Wendy.

THAT SAID, you'll note that the third major hook is basically me trying to jam in as much of the original story in as possible, and if you want me to provide a definitive answer for how old Wednesday is in Descent, consider how he might interact with the Sundering, or what role he had in the First Legion if you take that as canon.

And above all else, it's important to note: Wednesday could have won that game. While definitely fraught with problems following the initial success, both of the storytellers handling that individual game(BRjedi, for those who remember him), and the Desdemona Chronicle(Matt, not one y'all know) affirmed that Wednesday could have taken down God with the results, with the major remaining question being how much of the world would be left. Hell, once he gets a proper look at the board with Dessie and the changed world, he still might be able to win against God (Matt once noted that the option I offered of Wednesday restructuring the Old World into the Chronicles World wasn't outside the realm of possibility). In Descent terms, he is a full Arcane Physicist, and while he may need stars in alignment to succeed, this is a Demon who, along with Cacus and Nothiel(Who I'll chat about more sometime), had to be stopped by Hercules(Assume the story of Cacus as we know it to be severely truncated). While Wednesday can, and should, play part in local, regional, and global tiers, the threat of his ambitions are always Cosmic.

Wednesday's child is full of woe indeed.

EDIT: Also, again, it can't be overemphasized-his ability to both forget and dive deep into living his Covers is always a big part of what forms his convictions. Wednesday is an object lesson in how the distance and isolation of the Unchained(and the Fallen) is as much a blessing as it is it's own torment.
                      Last edited by ArcaneArts; 01-26-2019, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X