Looking for inspiration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for inspiration

I just got the book in my hands, i haven't open it yet.. but i been told that things such as The Terminator and The Matrix are HUGE inspirations for the new Demon (i love the classic OWoD version of it)

but i would like some ideas or inspirations for it.
    someone told me that Mr Robot is a HUGE example of the potential of demons and what not. any other examples?

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

The show itself is more like...WoD Demon vs. CofD Demon, but the new gods in the TV adaptation of American Gods made me think a lot of Demon: The Descent.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
    Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
      The show itself is more like...WoD Demon vs. CofD Demon, but the new gods in the TV adaptation of American Gods made me think a lot of Demon: The Descent.
      There's not an indecent argument that it's actually more like the Unchained versus the Begotten.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
      Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Person of Interest for the spycraft and secrets. Having a vast nigh-omniscient machine with its own reasons helps, of course.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Tv shows
          Person of Interest
          Neon Genesis Evangelion
          Counter Part
          The Americans
          Lucifer
          Black List
          Blind Spot
          Strike Back
          Black Lagoon
          Jormungand
          Mr Robot
          Travelers
          Steins Gate

Movies
          Atomic Blond
          American Ultra
          Evangelion
          Hellraiser
          John Wick Movies
          Man on fire
          Nightcrawler
          The Accountant
          They Live
          Tiner Talor Solder Spy

Books
          Joe Leder Series
          Good Omens
          H.P Lovecraft
          Influx
          Snow Crash
          Paradise Lost (All Three Books)
          The Sigma Force Series
          Something More Than Night

Youtube videos
          https://youtu.be/aVaBzBvVaUs

The youtube videos I found help me look at the god-machine a bit different. A lot of people get stuck on the machine part and can't get past it to realize the god-machine is systems of everything. It can be the systems that govern the movements of all reality and anything else.

read about the ideas of ​ Synchromysticism

Last edited by Basic; 03-15-2018, 07:37 AM.

Comment

The books actually list inspirational media (most if not all has probably been covered by previous posts) right near the start.

Onyx Path Freelancer: Demon Storyteller's Guide, Dark Eras, Night Horrors: Enemy Action
            Storyteller's Guide Extra Material
            After the Fall: Bonus Material

Comment

Originally posted by Basic View Post
              The youtube videos I found help me look at the god-machine a bit different. A lot of people get stuck on the machine part and can't get past it to realize the god-machine is systems of everything. It can be the systems that govern the movements of all reality and anything else.
              This. So. Much.

As I see it, this is more important than specific media. I swear, the next time I see/hear someone claiming the God-Machine and its angels aren’t “real,” and not out of sincere religious belief but just because They Are Machines And Thus They Don’t Look Spiritual Or Divine, I’ll faint from high blood pressure.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by Basic View Post
                The Sigma Force Series
                I will add something more substantial to this thread in a bit, but I have to second this. James Rollins is fantastic and Sigma Force hits the exact "weird science + religion" niche that is perfect for Demon!

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

This. So. Much.

As I see it, this is more important than specific media. I swear, the next time I see/hear someone claiming the God-Machine and its angels aren’t “real,” and not out of sincere religious belief but just because They Are Machines And Thus They Don’t Look Spiritual Or Divine, I’ll faint from high blood pressure.
                  Building on this line, the more recent analysis of old myths and philosophical tradition through modern perspectives is something that provides plenty of inspiration. Techgnosticism is the declared core behind the God-Machine aesthetics, but there's plenty more.

The quality varies: you have actual poignant examinations of the patterns of the universe in a both spiritual and pseudo-scientific way as much as you have absurd conspiracy theories and programs about aliens being behind everything. But it's all material to use. The whole deal can be resumed in a nutshell as "the Great Mysteries of the cosmos haven't changed but the ways we look at them and the names we gave them did"

When Alan Moore comes down from the mountain to preach, Grant Morrison goes to its surreal place and Warren Ellis brings out the big guns are good examples of this modern tradition that are fairly approachable and easy to find (and read through enjoyable medias) without having to delve into the matter too much .
                  Last edited by Cinder; 03-21-2018, 10:54 AM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

I feel that any literature pertaining to the perceived phenomena of Gangstalking is PERFECT for the mood and feel of Demon, the Cheiron Group even does a Truman Show style thing to try to analyze and break demons since they cannot pierce their lies.

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                    There's not an indecent argument that it's actually more like the Unchained versus the Begotten.
                    That sounds great actually especially since I've had a hard time getting a feel for beest vs demon rivalry. Incidentally, playing Beest really reminds me of DtF as far as reaping, high/low torment, fancy shapeshifting that provokes extreme reactions, et cetera.

Comment

ok. girlfriend asks "Would Devilman CryBaby count as inspiration?"

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).

Comment

Originally posted by Crowley View Post
                        ok. girlfriend asks "Would Devilman CryBaby count as inspiration?"

That seems more Beast.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Ok i might be VERY HIGH buuut i started to think about cyberpunk and gave me a few ideas for inspiration. but i would like some corraboration

Ghost in The Shell: Both the movies and anime.
                          I cant stop thinking on Makoto Kusanagi working for some part of the God Machine (This one being the ministry of internal security/ section 9) and how proyect 2501 AKA The Puppet Master could perfectly be a Fallen One who gained conciousness.

On Stand Alone Complex this role would be taken by The Laughing Man. now trying to proof a conspiracy against Serano

Second Gig i dont see it much as Demon the Descent..or perhaps a bit, considering the background of Kuze and his emotional development as not only a revolutionary agent and freedom fighter..Hell, Gouda would perfectly be a Corrector now that i think about it

Innocence: This one gave me some interesting insights on side effects. but specially on the idea that now the major not only descended after merging with the puppet master, but on how certain elements of judeochristianity can be involved with some basic technological ideas.

----------------------------------

Blade Runner/ Blade Runner 2049

Group of rogues trying to find their life purpose and define it. The idea of The Creation Killing God. and a corrector send to kill them...Sounds like The Descent to me

Blade Runner 2049 goes into deeper insight. the way that K starts descending and questioning his own nature as a Replicant makes me think A LOT of the descent itself. and how the other replicants assassins could perfectly be correctors trying to hide the true nature of K. Kudos on Jared leto playing a high emisary of the God Machine.

------------------------------

Ok. im leaning more on the short story than the novel but...Would the Adjustment Bureau by Philip K Dick work ?. the idea of an omnisient agency of Beings who shape fate and destiny in the way that the Divine Plan shows? the movie its a romantic story with hints of one of the characters slowly descending after admiring love for humanity but yeah.

Hell, now that i think about it Philip K Dick could perfectly fit within the lore of the game..or as a big inspiration

So..did i do a far stretch or did i knock it out of the park?

Comment

Working...
                          X