Clarification on Ciphers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification on Ciphers

So I am designing a cipher for a player in one of my games and I've come across something I just want to clarify.

In this thread it seems like they are going Embed 1 + 2 = Interlock 1, 2 +3 = Interlock 2, and 3+4 = Interlock 3

But in the Core book on page 240, in the "things to remember" box it says

"An Interlock should merge the themes and purpose of the
    Embeds [on] either side of it in ways personal to the demon, his
    catalyst, and his agenda."

Reading this, and looking at the Cipher picture it sounds like

Embed 1 + 2 = Interlock 1
    Embed 2 + 3 + 4 = Interlock 2
    Embed 4 + 1 = Interlock 3

Any help with the correct way would be greatly appreciated!

Twisted Vespers - A 2e Post-Apocalyptic Crossover RPG
    www.twistedvespers.com

Originally posted by Raeras View Post
    In this thread it seems like they are going Embed 1 + 2 = Interlock 1, 2 +3 = Interlock 2, and 3+4 = Interlock 3
    This is correct. In the passage you quoted, the Interlock is "between" the two embeds, like so:

Embed 1 | Interlock 1 | Embed 2 | Interlock 2 | Embed 3 | Interlock 3 | Embed 4

Now that said, if you have a really cool idea using your pattern, there's no reason you couldn't do it that way. You could even build a mystery around why a particular group of Demons has a unique pattern to their Interlocks for their Cipher!

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Thank you!

Twisted Vespers - A 2e Post-Apocalyptic Crossover RPG
      www.twistedvespers.com

Comment

Something of note: The ST Guide gives examples of there being a possible 4th Interlock in-between Embed 4 and Embed 1. Forgot what they called it but it makes kind of a double diamond ^.^

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

Originally posted by xiongrey View Post
          Something of note: The ST Guide gives examples of there being a possible 4th Interlock in-between Embed 4 and Embed 1. Forgot what they called it but it makes kind of a double diamond ^.^
          It doesn't have an actual name, its just a possible hack of the Cipher.

There is also a system is called the Pentacle and force a fifth Embed into the Cipher, breaks the old Interlocks and creates new Interlocks out of Embeds 1 and 3, 3 and 5, 5 and 2, 2 and 4, and 4 and 1, then changes the entire truth of the Cipher.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
            It doesn't have an actual name, its just a possible hack of the Cipher.
            I called it 'Completing the Circuit', actually. I recommend it wholeheartedly, it makes the first and last Embed matter more.and brings the Cipher-concept full circle.

Onyx Path Freelancer: Demon Storyteller's Guide, Dark Eras, Night Horrors: Enemy Action
            Storyteller's Guide Extra Material
            After the Fall: Bonus Material

Comment

Originally posted by Eremite View Post

I called it 'Completing the Circuit', actually. I recommend it wholeheartedly, it makes the first and last Embed matter more.and brings the Cipher-concept full circle.
              There was actually a moment after the core book came out that a couple people (myself, at least) had assumed it worked this way as written. Matt quoted me and agreed that it probably should have been that way from core.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Originally posted by Eremite View Post

I wont even lie i completely thought that was just the base way of doing it until now

Comment

Working...
                X