Pacts an external people...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacts an external people...

As you all know I really like DtD, but many details about it's mechanics puzzles me a lot. One of these is about pacts.

Let's say I'm a demon and I'm sealing a pact with a man for his dog's ownership.
    When all will be said and done, the reality reshapes and I will be the new owner of the dog.
    But according to the manual, only those involved into the pact will be affected by it.
    So what will happen to people urelated to the pact, like the man's wife, maybe?

She'll wonder what the hell happened to Skippy.

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post
      She'll wonder what the hell happened to Skippy.
      Which is why Demons need to exercise discretion when dealing for Pact elements. Grab someone too well known, and you are asking for Compromise.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

But then, where's the meaning or benefit to perform such pacts if they're so dangerous?

Comment

Originally posted by Ipergigio View Post
          But then, where's the meaning or benefit to perform such pacts if they're so dangerous?

You find a dog owner that doesn't have a wife. The man then has to make excuses to anyone who knew he had a dog to maintain your secret (I mean, he could tell his wife the dog died too, that's just harder to keep up as a lie).

Backer #2010

Comment

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post

You find a dog owner that doesn't have a wife. The man then has to make excuses to anyone who knew he had a dog to maintain your secret (I mean, he could tell his wife the dog died too, that's just harder to keep up as a lie).
            Exactly. You don't Pact for the spouse when both are involved with the same crowds of people - too many questions. You pick the ones that are mostly uninvolved with nearby friends and family, so the discrepancies can be explained away.

These discrepancies are where investigators start unraveling your Cover.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

And is the same even for a job? Or in this situation co-workers are involved into the pact too?

Comment

Originally posted by Ipergigio View Post
                And is the same even for a job? Or in this situation co-workers are involved into the pact too?
                I think the demon would show up to work the next day, go to his new cubicle and introduce himself as Phil the new graphic designer or whatever job he had just taken. The people in the office would accept it ("It's true, we do have graphics designers!") while those in competing firms might be a little confused they didn't see a job posting looking for a new graphic designer ("That's funny, I would have applied for that job if I saw the posting.") That's fine for a cog in the machine, but if you take the job of an important CEO the rest of the world might start to wonder how Gigantic Corp hired Clarice the CEO without a big candidate search.

Comment

Most patch work covers are built around shitty elements of people weaved together. Abuse? Drug or alcohol abuse? I'll take those elements (plus whatever else you'd bargain for if the lack )

Comment

Working...
                  X