Rewriting the rules for Angels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewriting the rules for Angels

Ever since I saw the Strix, and the Qashmal using personalized ephemeral entity rules, I have always wanted to redo the rules for Angels to take in to account Cover, Angelic form, and their own Power Stat.

I have some rough draft, thoughts on this.

Power Stat: Authority. This sets Max Essence, Essence per turn, amount of Influences, Incepts, and Numina.

Manifestations: All angels have Twilight for, Cover, and Angelic Form.

Cover: Follows the rules for demons. The God-Machine can patch covers. Covers also come with physical stats, and skills based on the angel's Authority. They then use the rules for Claiming to inhabit their Cover. Making an unAngelic form angel still a force to be reckoned with.

Any ideas or thoughts?

My Homebrew
    Star Wars d10
    The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
    Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

Is there a reason for distinguishing the Potency trait from Rank, or just a reskinned name? A strix's Shadow Potency scales their traits differently, and a qashmal's Order is roughly (not exactly) equivalent to setting their Rank to one of two variable levels, or three if you count arch-qashmallim. I'm inclined to suggest that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, whereas if your angels have balancing points to consider that other entities don't, you might get purposeful mileage out of a trait distinct from Rank.

Speaking of which, angelic forms. By that, do you simply mean they can incarnate out of Cover as their visibly angelic selves, or do you mean to give them equivalents to Demonic Form Abilities? If the former, I would suggest that's simply their Twilight Form under the Materialize Manifestation, as with spirits and ghosts. If the latter, be careful in the balancing. Simply using the ephemeral entity rules gives angels a certain edge over demons in a straight brawl, between their high Attributes, broadly applicable Rank bonus to replace Skill ratings, and the fact that demons are, I believe, deliberately hobbled in terms of their access to powers that let them easily monitor and invade angelic Twilight. Add both Incepts and a panoply of form abilities and you may accidentally tune them to be more fearsome than intended. Giving them form abilities still makes sense from both a game and setting perspective, but if you do so, I would lean towards having Authority yield fewer of them than corresponding Primum ratings.

Explicitly baking Cover mechanics into the angelic template is a good idea. It seems to have been the intent in the Storyteller's Guide, rather than the prior assumption (or at least my prior assumption?) that their covers were represented by use of things like Mortal Mask, but that book's text still never quite states it forthright enough to clarify how angelic Cover resembles demonic Cover and how it differs. Consider whether angelic Covers even have a numerical rating at all, whether they can risk compromise or not, and what happens to them if they can and do, since many of the Conditions demons face for compromise are inappropriate for loyal angels. There isn't really a clear-cut right or wrong answer here, but multiple valid directions to take it.
    Last edited by Stupid Loserman; 04-21-2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Potecy being distict from Rank. It puts then a Supernatural Tolerance trait in the same 1-10 range, and not 1-5.

Angelic Form vs Materialization. I choose this mainly because a materialized Angel is basically easy mode as written. A hunter-angel materiazing is a good thing, not an oh shit moment.

Fix? More abilities when materialized, and making their Cover and Angelic form more formidable.

As I see it, an Angel in Cover has increased stats, Numina, and Influence. In Angelic Form they trade low profile for form abilities. This makes them scarier, and then using Incepts are an even more OHSHIT moment

As I see it, no angel should be cannon fodder.

They will have Ephemeral stats, but only if they are in Twlight and get into combat. This is rare, so their epehermal stats are modifiers for their Cover and Angelic Form. Make sense?

My Homebrew
      Star Wars d10

Comment

Pretty sure Ephemeral Beings Dematerialize the first time they touch their bane though? Is this not stopping your players?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
          Pretty sure Ephemeral Beings Dematerialize the first time they touch their bane though? Is this not stopping your players?
          I think the point is, is that Demons want an Angel Materialized, so they can actually hit it. They can't affect it in Twilight without its Bane, and even with its Bane, they can't see it.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Exactly. I enjoy angels being able to be spiritual being, but I want an Angel manifesting in full glory to be a moment of terror.

Also, it does kind of irk me angels are basically Hisil spirits with a new coat of paint. Don't get me wrong Incepts are a great step in the right direction, but other line specific Ephemerals get more detailed rules. Even the idigam do.

My Homebrew
            Star Wars d10

Comment

The easiest way seems to use Form Abilities for power and Cover for flavor, like Stupid Loserman said.

Or, maybe they’re like normal mortals/spirits while in Cover (with Dread Powers and Numina), but can shed it in a way similar to Going Loud? Suddenly they’d have Primum 10 with all that entails, but replace Aether, Embeds, and Exploits with Essence, Numina/Dread Powers, and Incepts respectively.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by Dreaminggod View Post
                Exactly. I enjoy angels being able to be spiritual being, but I want an Angel manifesting in full glory to be a moment of terror.
                One solution is to just fluff the Image Manifestation appropriately. Have the Angel choose an Image that appears to crack and burn the ground beneath its feet, interact with attacks by shimmering past or appearing to deflect them instead of having those attacks just waft through the immaterial body, make attacks with the Blast Numen where the Angel's chosen form of Blast could simply appear to be physical blows with whatever natural weapons it has. Strictly speaking from a player perspective it has all the immediacy and "glory" of the Materialize Manifestation, coupled with all the dread of an unassailable biomechanical avatar of the machine-god (unless the players have done their research and sussed out its Bane, in which case good, that's exactly how you should approach a fight with a Hunter-Killer Angel).

Personally, I try to do something like this with most ephemeral beings when I opt to use the Image Manifestation. Image should still feel real whenever possible, not an obvious holographic projection, unless you are deliberately trying to play up the tragedy or frustration of the being's inability to directly interact with the world around it (which is certainly something I like to play with for ghosts and spirits, but very rarely angels).

Comment

Working...
                X