Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Soul Pacts (human)

Greetings,

Reading the Pact system, I got a doubt, if is there any restriction on a person selling his soul to multiple demons simultaneously a-la Constantine?

Pretty sure they metaphysically can't. I don't remember if it is outright listed, but I think once you sign in blood for one Pact, other Demon's can tell it isn't up for sale.

Granted, you can sell off other portions of your life still (I think) and leave your life in a sorry, dangerous state for whatever Demon comes to collect.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Speaking of that. For non-Soul Pacts, can the Demon delay taking the piece of the person's life till later like they do in Soul Pacts?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
        Granted, you can sell off other portions of your life still (I think) and leave your life in a sorry, dangerous state for whatever Demon comes to collect.
        Such a mortal would be playing with plasma and inevitably get burned, but he could possibly convince the Demon who has his Soul to help him skirt the negative aspects of his other pacts so that the Demon can keep his trust fund Cover nice and cosey. That's sort of a constant

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Additional question: when a demon claims a Soul Pact, what cover rating does it get? Cover 10 since you are replacing what it is a whole real person?

Comment

Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post
            Additional question: when a demon claims a Soul Pact, what cover rating does it get? Cover 10 since you are replacing what it is a whole real person?
            The system for soul pacts and the Cover rating gained is written on pages 116-117.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Would be interesting for a story to change the soul pact rules for a one shot. A few agencies have a soul pact with a very important person. So now the players have to go all smoken aces to get it under the orders of their agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                Speaking of that. For non-Soul Pacts, can the Demon delay taking the piece of the person's life till later like they do in Soul Pacts?
                Yes. The specific rules for this can be found in Interface, the short story collection, on page 124 onward. They can not only delay until they touch the pactbound as with a soul pact, they can also (for a small price) put specific timers and/or conditions on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                  Pretty sure they metaphysically can't. I don't remember if it is outright listed, but I think once you sign in blood for one Pact, other Demon's can tell it isn't up for sale.
                  Brieflo looking through the system, it says that soulless people can't make soul pacts, but signing one doesn't make you soulless, So I couldn't see anything to say a mortal couldn't sell their soul to multiple demons - though most would probably assume they can't. But I also couldn't see anything to suggest it would do said mortal any good - it would just offer more opportunities to be obliterated from existence. After the fact, the other prospective beneficiaries might be disgruntled at the actual one, but that won't help the mortal.

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
                    Brieflo looking through the system, it says that soulless people can't make soul pacts, but signing one doesn't make you soulless, So I couldn't see anything to say a mortal couldn't sell their soul to multiple demons - though most would probably assume they can't. But I also couldn't see anything to suggest it would do said mortal any good - it would just offer more opportunities to be obliterated from existence. After the fact, the other prospective beneficiaries might be disgruntled at the actual one, but that won't help the mortal.
                    That's my reading too. There isn't anything in RAW explicitly allowing or preventing it. Logic could go either way too, so you can default to the usual Storyteller question. What makes a better story? If it's too much to track multiple soul pacts and is slowing down the game, stick to just one soul pact per person. If the politics surrounding multiple demons soul pacting with one person seem interesting, allow it. If it seems like an interesting mystery to explore, allow some people to make multiple pacts and some to only make one.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

That's my reading too. There isn't anything in RAW explicitly allowing or preventing it. Logic could go either way too, so you can default to the usual Storyteller question. What makes a better story? If it's too much to track multiple soul pacts and is slowing down the game, stick to just one soul pact per person. If the politics surrounding multiple demons soul pacting with one person seem interesting, allow it. If it seems like an interesting mystery to explore, allow some people to make multiple pacts and some to only make one.
                      Well, as I posted I was thinking of Constantine, 3 powerful demons all soulpacted to a mortal, and none willing to lose face by ceding the mortal's soul.

Comment

None willing to plunge the entirety of hell into war as it would only serve to weaken them all. Unchained demons doesn't really have that riding on demon-to-demon conflicts that doesn't necessarily involve violence.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                        X