What's the inspirations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the inspirations

Considering the VERY unique take on demons and angels here, what movies, literature, and possibly games did they take inspiration from

That's discussed in the core rulebook. p.25-26

Some big ones include The Matrix, the works of spy-turned-author John le Carré and some of Neil Gaman's stories that concern angels.

Comment

Also Paradise Lost, always and forever.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
      Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

And on the other end of the spectrum, Demon also draws on Hellraiser and the Hellbound Heart, especially when the Cenobites talk about being angels to some and demons to others.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Also pretty much anything from the spy genre and similar thrillers. And those wacky government/ new world order conspiracy stories.

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
          Also Paradise Lost, always and forever.
          I’m torn apart. On one hand, always and forever like you said. On the other hand, considering that the broad aesthetics of Paradise Lost is what “critics” (who apparently read only themselves instead of the book) usually mean when they say Descent doesn’t have “real” angels and demons, well...

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
            Also pretty much anything from the spy genre and similar thrillers. And those wacky government/ new world order conspiracy stories.

I’m torn apart. On one hand, always and forever like you said. On the other hand, considering that the broad aesthetics of Paradise Lost is what “critics” (who apparently read only themselves instead of the book) usually mean when they say Descent doesn’t have “real” angels and demons, well...
            Hey, what are we to do when people don't read the book critically?

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Start writing things down on ofudas and nailing them to peoples’ doors?

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

Start writing things down on ofudas and nailing them to peoples’ doors?
                The cops told me to stop doing that.

Comment

I would strongly recommend The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell to add to the above. I've always really liked it as a Chronicles of Darkness inspiration in general, as it feels like a good depiction of how most mortals would experience the supernatural as this background presence in their lives. The handful of chapters that put the supernatural front and centre however include a clear example of Infrastructure, as well as a campaign of espionage between two supernatural factions including one group who adopt new faces and lives with some frequency. The way those characters behave rang very true for Demons, particularly their paranoia being equally split between expecting mundane and supernatural forms of attack on their person.

It also arguably recontextualises the Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoat into a continuation of the same plot, and Mitchell's more recent Slade House is a more supernaturally heavy, horror-themed story using the same "monsters", but the Bone Clocks is the one that rings the truest as Demon inspiration for me.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply (Had work). Thanks very much guys. So spy thrillers, worldwide conspiracy the idea of horror movies where the demons are intelligent creatures, like hellraiser and the brutal look and existence of hellbound heart

21C Hermit do people not realise that angels and demons are not simply what one looks like aesthetically, but more of an idea? Because if it's seen that way than they truly are demons and angels. Besides one of the angels in the bible is literally described as a burning wheel with eyes, so classic demon angel aesthetic be damned

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                      Sorry for the late reply (Had work). Thanks very much guys. So spy thrillers, worldwide conspiracy the idea of horror movies where the demons are intelligent creatures, like hellraiser and the brutal look and existence of hellbound heart

21C Hermit do people not realise that angels and demons are not simply what one looks like aesthetically, but more of an idea? Because if it's seen that way than they truly are demons and angels. Besides one of the angels in the bible is literally described as a burning wheel with eyes, so classic demon angel aesthetic be damned
                      Yeah, many don’t. It probably doesn’t help that Descent deals more with Gnostic angels than Judeo-Christian ones, which adds to the unfamiliarity.

Comment

I'm not gonna lie, I was disappoint that the descent is not the judeo Christian variety, but upon reading about it I grew to love it

Enough to where I'm too lazy to read the fallen, which I've heard is the Christian kind, also is that one good

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                          Enough to where I'm too lazy to read the fallen, which I've heard is the Christian kind, also is that one good
                          Yes, might be my favorite of the classic World of Darkness, it's a toss between it and Werewolf. Loved all its books, ran it for a long campaign and I keep going back to it from time to time just because I enjoy it.

But, and here I expose myself to danger in a way I almost always avoid, Descent is a way better game. There, I said it.

Nothing less than going after all the Infinity Stones and use them to make them understand. Then, finally have a rest.

(Sorry, it's this week's mood. Carry on)
                          Last edited by Cinder; 05-02-2018, 12:29 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Once more I will state person of interest is good inspiration for demon .

Comment

Tim Powers' Declare

Dark City

Comment

Working...
                              X