Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can angels stay on long-term missions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not "their relevant condition". It's "outside a suitable Condition" and it's written in the Condition whether it offers that protection or not. Anchor is unique because it's the only baseline Condition that protects against Essence Bleed. Otherwise you have use the higher Conditions like Fetter, Materialize, Possess or Claimed. (Which is why spirits tend to become Ridden in Werewolf since they aren't protected by Resonant either.)

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
      It's not "their relevant condition". It's "outside a suitable Condition" and it's written in the Condition whether it offers that protection or not. Anchor is unique because it's the only baseline Condition that protects against Essence Bleed. Otherwise you have use the higher Conditions like Fetter, Materialize, Possess or Claimed. (Which is why spirits tend to become Ridden in Werewolf since they aren't protected by Resonant either.)
      That's a good catch, and something I hadn't caught. I'd assumed that Infrastructure, like Anchor, was a 'suitable Condition' for this.

Comment

Well, I was ready to argue with you on that front but looking into it you are in fact correct. Only anchor says it out right and the essance bleed section does say that the ability would say if it protects against essance bleed.

That is rather interesting but I can only assume that the angel would be designed with some protection from essance bleed by GM design. Perhaps cover as infastructure protects against essance bleed itself and maybe that is it's largest benifit. Though that is not supported RAW so it's a 'maybe' not a 'certainty'. I do wonder if an angel having fettered to their cover would fit better but with the limitations of fetter I'm not so sure.

Comment

You know, I never thought of running Cover as being a mobile instance of the Infrastructure Condition. An Angel who has a mission to protect someone with a Destiny is going to regain a decent amount of Essence, especially if they can stay near their summoning Infrastructure.

Also, regarding Essence Bleed, it occurs to me that Spirits in the Shadow and Ghosts in the Underworld are treated as Materialized and that does protect them from Essence Bleed.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
            You know, I never thought of running Cover as being a mobile instance of the Infrastructure Condition. An Angel who has a mission to protect someone with a Destiny is going to regain a decent amount of Essence, especially if they can stay near their summoning Infrastructure.
            I know I’ve written about this on the forum before but this is more or less correct. Angelic Cover/bodies are basically infrastructure (deliberate use of lower case “i”) operating in a such a focused and small scale way that they don’t follow the same rules for larger scale Infrastructure.

In brief, if an angel has a Cover with a physical body, they have that body full time as long as they want and stay material without Essence bleed. If they don’t have that kind of Cover they are ephemeral and use Manifestations.

Angelic Cover doesn’t have a rating, the God Machine just writes it into reality and it does what it says it does. It also isn’t subject to degradation unless the angel does some really weird outside normal stuff. Even then the angel might have the right Numen to fudge these gross violations, and if the angel is operating without God-Machine instructions the GM will patch it all up anyway with a bit of time.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
            WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
              Angels should deserve their own set of rules😔
              If OPP ever does a Demon 2nd edition and I’m on it, I have quite a lot of ideas around clearing up how angels work.

WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Bunyip when in cover like you say and protected from essance bleed would they still have to pay 1 per day for activity and/or would the cover-as-infastructure provide 1 essance per day and cover base operation?

That is how I've been running it but I'm curious on how one of the writers would view it.

Comment

Bunyip that makes a lot of sense. Can the Angel switch in or out of Cover at will like Demons can? And would they be in Twilight or Materialized? Also- thoughts on using Form Powers as Numina?
                  Last edited by Arcanist; 09-10-2018, 12:44 PM.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Wait - if angelic Cover is Infrastructure, then it has to have a Linchpin, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                      Bunyip when in cover like you say and protected from essance bleed would they still have to pay 1 per day for activity and/or would the cover-as-infastructure provide 1 essance per day and cover base operation?
                      Living in cover takes care of an angel’s daily essence expediture. You don’t need to keep track of that aspect.

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
                      Bunyip that makes a lot of sense. Can the Angel switch in or out of Cover at will like Demons can? And would they be in Twilight or Materialized? Also- thoughts on using Form Powers as Numina?
                      What angelic cover can and can’t do is entirely dependent on what the GM wants it for. Most angels are never going to switch cover because their purpose has put them into a cover to fulfil that purpose. They’ll leave cover when the GM decides the mission is over.

This doesn’t mean that the Storyteller/GM might not come up with a requirement that has an angel switching between covers. But that scenario would still be a specific part of the role.

Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
                      Wait - if angelic Cover is Infrastructure, then it has to have a Linchpin, right?
                      See what I said above about being such a small, focused scale that it doesn’t follow the rules for Infrastructure. At the moment, no, it doesn’t. In a hypothetical future where we explore and detail how angelic cover works, it might.

Comment

Working...
                      X