Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taidragon
    replied
    Vent0 Ah, yes, that's an excellent point. Ideally, Infrastructure that is set up (or possibly re-set up if you have the means, know-how and luck) in a ways away from civilization or hard to reach area (like in a mountain) would be hit, but otherwise setting up your workshop in such areas is a must. Deep space would be a very nice grab, though with a plethora of issues, not the least of which accessing it and maintaining it while not having a Cover as an astronaut presumed missing/dead. Such an area would be great for avoid Demon eyes too - they'd be bound to look in, and any workshop that has been found/infiltrated is infinitely less defensible. The Safeplace merit may actually be a good place to establish a workshop as well, given it outright penalizes finding/accessing the safe place itself.

Software gadgets are nice if you have it as just a USB or flash card too, since it means you can turn any device they plug into to a temporary gadget and they are far easier to hide than the things they plug into. It still requires careful management though, since such things tend to get filched, and the device needs to run as per normal in order to get to the desired effect. That said, I wonder if a gadget smartphone designed to draw ambient energy from its environment (and thus never run out of battery life) could run a software gadget from a flash card...

Mr.F.I.X. That is an ambitious idea, but I think I would rule it to fail for the same reason as exploited gadgets depleting aether while in a bolthole - entropy does not pass, but aetheric entropy does, and without that last sequence an unfinished gadget is going to simply fall to pieces no matter what you do. Still, I think it'd be an appropriate sort of time bomb to give to your enemies if you were ever captured and forced into gadget making - make an exploited gadget, allowing the fizzing it's doing to at least be excused, and then use it to get out but toss it over your shoulder on the way out, or simply let them keep it as you sneak out, so they get the aetheric bang it produces.

A few people on Discord have noted ideas on how to possibly work around making gadgets in other realms, be it by using gadgets to simulate the mundane realm or simply take a chunk of it there and maintain it, but I think that's missing the point somewhat. It's like trying to bake a soufflé outdoors in a storm. It doesn't matter if the storm is wind, rain or snow, a souffle ain't going to be made. Still, interlocks can and have done stranger things than allow for different locales for gadget creation.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.F.I.X.
    replied
    I'd say you have a good idea to start with but an interesting thing about your plan, 'one shot' creation might work for you. You see, for gadgets if you don't invest the willpower dot the effect fades at the end of the svene but in a Bolthole no time passes. If st rules they function for the scene they after they are removed then you have a great emergency stockpile with minimal investment. If that is not the case then these same gadgets could be made use of within the Bolthole but would break once removed. Of course too, if they function for the scene after being removed oneshot gadgets can actually be useful.

It is too bad though that FoH calls out that gadget creation cannot occur in any realm but the material.

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    Stockpiles and remote locations are your friend. Creating Gadgets can cause weird electrical phenomena, so places where that isn't going to be noticed is ideal. Away from you usual location is a must, so it doesn't bring Angels down on your head. Since you are away from typical Infrastructure, you'll want some Stockpiles of Aether to hold you over.

Software Gadgets are great for portability, since you can access them remotely, and loan them out easily. Don't rely on them, though, so a bad network connection doesn't stop you cold.

Oh, and to do something different, you could always play the Stigmatic agent (Sympathetic or otherwise) of a Demon gadgeteer. Bond to another's Q.
    Last edited by Vent0; 09-09-2018, 05:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X