Homebrew Cryptids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew Cryptids

I don't want to start new threads willy-nilly but I couldn't find one on cryptids and their design. I thought that it might be useful to have one to learn about other cyptids people have designed.

I need help designing a cryptid and I don't know the best way to do it in the rules. I want it to be a hive mind made from a flock of pigeons. (The rationale will be below if you care). Does it take the "Swarm" form? Is it "Huge"? How do I model that it is easy to hit but hard to kill? It will have the Aether Eater adaptation so that even if it scratches a victim it consumes Aether. What other abilities are appropriate? Flight?

Story rationale: I want to create a "watering hole" situation where Aether run-off from local Infrastructure trickles in. It's located in plain view in a city plaza or park, near some appropriately ominous statue or fountain. There is never very much there and it takes a while to refill, but it is one of the few places a demon can reliably find Aether if they really need it, without having to sneak into guarded Infrastructure. The problem is that there is a mysterious cryptid that sometimes seems to kill demons who refuel there. However, it's never been identified. There's lots of opportunities for misdirection as to the nature of the danger to the players.

The idea is that of the hundred or so pigeons there a few of them are affected by the Aether. If enough of them congregate, the hive mind forms and the whole flock become a swirling Aether feeding cryptid. Otherwise, they just don't show on the radar of angels or demons. And it's impossible to kill without wiping out all the pigeons. It just takes a while to reform. It doesn't appear every time the players refuel, but they do know that something is there and that every now and then a demon who went there is never heard from again.

This is old, and large lacking content, but here: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...nd-adaptations

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
    X