No announcement yet.

How do Demons actually find each other?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do Demons actually find each other?

Given that a Demon will spend a great deal of time in their Cover to hide from the God Machine, and any display of power or allegiance can also blow their cover, how do Demons actually find each other to get organized? Do they have a way of detecting each other that I missed? Also, there is a risk that, when exposing yourself to another demon, that other demon can be a Integrator waiting to betray you...or just another demon waiting to betray you. How would a demon make his presence known in the local community he is in? I am just curious because it seems that every demon wants to stay hidden from the God Machine and revealing your nature to anyone can be a potentially fatal mistake.

I thing that Stigmatics can have Unseen Sense which can be specified to Demon. Can that be a Demon detector which can be used to detect demons in Cover. In addition, do Angels have methods of detecting demons who are in cover?

Originally posted by maryshelly View Post
    Given that a Demon will spend a great deal of time in their Cover to hide from the God Machine, and any display of power or allegiance can also blow their cover, how do Demons actually find each other to get organized? Do they have a way of detecting each other that I missed? Also, there is a risk that, when exposing yourself to another demon, that other demon can be a Integrator waiting to betray you...or just another demon waiting to betray you. How would a demon make his presence known in the local community he is in? I am just curious because it seems that every demon wants to stay hidden from the God Machine and revealing your nature to anyone can be a potentially fatal mistake.
    Falling creates a lot of "noise", that put local Aetheric sensing beings (like Demons) on alert. Unless the newly Fallen Angel knew of some Demons beforehand, or had some prior thinking about this, they will probably get noticed eventually by either Angels (in which case, they won't last long enough to learn the trade), or Demons (in which case, they _might_ last long enough to learn the trade). I think someone pointed out that stuff like Special Message might also serve as "So, you just Fell and want to learn the ropes...".

But, yeah, anyone can screw you over - that's the risks of association. But going solo means you don't have much resources to fall back on. It sucks and is one of the key reasons Unchained are paranoid, manipulative dicks.

I thing that Stigmatics can have Unseen Sense which can be specified to Demon. Can that be a Demon detector which can be used to detect demons in Cover. In addition, do Angels have methods of detecting demons who are in cover?
    Unseen Sense isn't going to detect Demons in Cover. Nearly nothing is - that's the point of Cover (and Spoofing). If it was that easy, there wouldn't be any Unchained floating around. Cryptids can sense Aether, and that can be (and has been) used to track Demons, but even that isn't certain.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

My response in the simple question thread.

Originally posted by ArcaneArts
      In theme with the system of safe-setups for meetings, I imagine that Agencies arrange for points of notice-things that will catch the attention of newly fallen angels and will probably, eventually, investigate in ways that will be apparent to them. From there, it's a dance of experimentation and faith-building between the Agency's representatives and the fallen, until the new demon can willingly choose to get in enough to be on the roster for the first circle of communications and safe spots.

If you want to shortcut that though, remember that new demons are more prone to standing out as demons-the game assumes you've gotten past the phase of being awkward and now can play the game of the Agency, but starting from the surge of weirdness that comes with a fall to those initial moments of figuring out mortality, there's a brief period where they probably stand out, and it's easy to have a representative come in and, through the process of reining the new one in, also get them into the circle of connections.

Once first contact is well and over, it's all a matter of keeping up to date on the codewords, signals, drop boxes, couriers and safe spots of the agency, which is "simple" enough even with mundane methods-and that's before accounting for the various ways Embeds let demons improve on the network.
      It can't be overstated how much the initial Fall is a signal to the Unchained to come and act, and how confusing that first bit of mortality is. It makes a very easy access point for new demons to enter into an agency.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
      Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

But if a newly fallen Angel gives off a signal, wouldn't Angels pick it up too and begin hunting them?

Comment

But if a newly fallen Angel gives off a signal, wouldn't Angels pick it up too and begin hunting them?
          Yes. Welcome to the table. The House almost always wins.

Do note, though, that the G-M like compartmentalization, and the act of Falling co-opts your Cover generating Infrastructure. So even though Exampiel in the Cover of Bob the Janitor Fell, it no longer knows Bob the Janitor exists, as a Cover it made.
          Last edited by Vent0; 11-24-2018, 07:22 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

There's also the (perhaps unhelpful) answer that the demon PC's in your game survived for the same reason that the characters in D&D didn't die of diphtheria when they were infants: if you they didn't survive they wouldn't be PC"s.

On a slightly more helpful tangent, that gives you something to think about when you generate a PC - why did your character survive their Fall? Did they get help? Luck? Did some other demon die to save them? Maybe an angel? Or is it a mystery to them that bothers them to this day.....

Comment

I would think it would be like the uncanny valley for humans. If a demon lives their cover perfectly the god machine won't notice the demon. But who can live a perfect life like that but a demon trying not be noticed. Humans are full of little inconsistencies and to a experienced demon someone who fits their role perfectly must stand out like a clown at a wedding.

Comment

Short answer? Yep. The first little bit of a demon's life is harrowing.

Long answer? Welllllll yes and no. Here's the thing: The Fall itself generates a lot of chaos that demands investigation, BUT with the Fall also takes the Infrastructure that make up your initial Cover with it. What this means is that the God-Machine actually loses the information about the agent it had in place-Falling actively rips out the part of the God-Machines 'mind'* where the fallen angel is concerned. So for new demons, the ball is at least in their court-angels know something has happened, but don't know what the epicenter is, and therefore don't know exactly what they are looking for. More established demons, by contrast, are in a better position to understand what has happened to the infrastructure because of their experience on the outside of the systems. Some critical questions can usually answer what Fell out of place, and from there, it's a matter of courting the newly fallen angel while maintaining the Cover of that demon. Since a new demon is much more prone to panic and other such reactions, having someone come in and provide direction in their free-falling state is a bit of comfort and familiarity(Remember, these are people who are used to living within dictations) as well as a good way to get a bead on how things work now.

It's definitely a dangerous time, and the reality is that a Fall is time when things go sideways for a lot of people-not only do a lot of Demons fail to survive their Fall, but many take others with them. But in a way, the Fall is designed to be the sort of event that almost ensures the likelihood of a fallen angel getting to slide sideways neatly into not only their new existence, but into the fractitious power structures that will support them.

It's one of those things make you wonder about the purpose for Falling, in the scheme of things-is this all a serendipitous accident, or is the strange convenience of it all actually designed?

*Such as it is.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

There was a post made by Eremite over a year ago gives another to this subject; this is the relevant part of it to the conversation, but the entire post is very worth a read.

Originally posted by Eremite View Post
                  A big part of fostering this is building your setting. If you're starting as freshly Fallen, newbies demons, Special Message might be useful for a demon who acts as a local 'welcoming committee' to introduce you to local Unchained politics. Agencies might want recruits. My own demon settings generally have demons falling into discrete roles in an Unchained society - information brokers, Cover and Pact-suppliers, extradimensional real-estate experts (ie, boltholes and Splintes), Infrastructure- archaeologists, bespoke Gadgeteers, smugglers, spies-for-hire, muscle for hire, demonic cryptozoologists... Players might speak to, or hire, these experts or be hired in turn.

Comment

Demons and cryptids (and maybe demon blooded?) can sense the burst of aether produced, angels can't. As a result, they're more inclined to be found by the former than the latter.

The rare angel (or angels) that have a pet cryptid or an integrator or demon blooded patsy are going to be serious trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Deinos View Post
                      Demons and cryptids (and maybe demon blooded?) can sense the burst of aether produced, angels can't. As a result, they're more inclined to be found by the former than the latter.

The rare angel (or angels) that have a pet cryptid or an integrator or demon blooded patsy are going to be serious trouble.
                      1) For the Fall, that Burst of Aether is also something of a reality rewrite, with kind of noticeable changes. At the most extreme, we're talking Quickening levels of fuckery.
                      2) Directly having an Integrator or Patsy might be rare, but angels definitely take advantage of cryptids this way.

Comment

Working...
                      X