Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Pockets for Disarming people?

Hello,

One of my players suggested a use for Deep Pockets, that is, to take weapons away from what they have.
    To me, it feels like a very broad way of using it, to an extent where I feel like it shouldn't be possible. Most powers are fairly specific in what they do/do not, and to me, this power feels like it should enable you to get for when you need it, not take stuff away.

Anyways, what do you think?

My Bloodline conversions
    My House rules

Well, as long as they can picture what they are trying to steal, then it is fully inside Deep Pockets' power as listed in the text.

What Deep Pockets does is let a Demon pull through an object they can visualize out of another aperture. Which means they can jack the gun off an opponent's back by pulling it out of their duffel bag.

Related, I've used Cuckoo's Egg to replace the bullets in an opponent's gun with blanks before.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
      Well, as long as they can picture what they are trying to steal, then it is fully inside Deep Pockets' power as listed in the text.

What Deep Pockets does is let a Demon pull through an object they can visualize out of another aperture. Which means they can jack the gun off an opponent's back by pulling it out of their duffel bag.

Related, I've used Cuckoo's Egg to replace the bullets in an opponent's gun with blanks before.

Pulling it out of their bag sounds cool to me. Pulling it out of their hands is what icks me the wrong way.

My Bloodline conversions
      My House rules

Comment

You could do something like In My Pocket (one of the example prerequisites) and disallow taking things that are directly observed when the Exploit is activated. Unlike In My Pocket you should still be able to grab stuff that you couldn't have had on you at the time or couldn't have had access to since the last time it was observed, but you couldn't take the gun out of someone's hand or even from their pocket or holster if the weight of the gun noticeably presses against the person.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Griautis View Post

Pulling it out of their bag sounds cool to me. Pulling it out of their hands is what icks me the wrong way.
          Well, Deep Pockets is normally not resisted or contested. You could allow a "right out of their hands" option if it was.

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
          You could do something like In My Pocket (one of the example prerequisites) and disallow taking things that are directly observed when the Exploit is activated. Unlike In My Pocket you should still be able to grab stuff that you couldn't have had on you at the time or couldn't have had access to since the last time it was observed, but you couldn't take the gun out of someone's hand or even from their pocket or holster if the weight of the gun noticeably presses against the person.
          Unless you combo it with something like Cuckoo's Egg, to prevent them from noticing?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

(Oops. Wrong Exploit)
            Last edited by KieranMullen; 12-27-2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
              Unless you combo it with something like Cuckoo's Egg, to prevent them from noticing?
              If you have two instant actions to spend, sure. Otherwise you could base a Interlock on the concept, combining Cuckoo's Egg and In My Pocket as Keys.

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

This is actually functionally the trick used by the main character of Simon R. Green's Nightside series. He would reach into his own pockets then reveal his hands to be holding all of the bullets in the guns of his opponents. Once, when particularly upset he did the same thing with their fillings.

Comment

I can appreciate your annoyance with using the exploit this way, but I have a couple of things to bring up;

One is that the players are paying Aether for using this power, rolling a die pool and either giving up a point of Willpower or rolling a Compromise check. That is either using two rolls that could easily fail and spending a dot of a resource they otherwise can’t easily get back, or spending two resources that aren’t easy to get back and making a roll that could easily fail. That’s a good amount to spend to simply make sure a single enemy isn’t pointing a weapon at them, and not a guarrentee that the threat the enemy poses is neutralized, especally if they have a partner who is also armed.

Another thing is that if you really, really want to make it hard for players to do something like this, simply make it a contested roll after the exploit is used to wrestle the weapon from them. After all, you’re literally pulling it out of their hands, and in some cases it can make the area you’re gripping dangerous - ever tried to pull a knife from someone’s hands by the blade?

Comment

Working...
                  X