Show of Power and Mage Spell Factors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show of Power and Mage Spell Factors

So Show of Power lets you use another types supernatural power as if you rolled one success on its activation, 3 if you exceptional the Show. That works well enough for many Vampire and Werewolf powers, where successes often define effect.
    But what about Mage Spells?
    In 2E. successes no longer determine the overall effect when casting; factors are calculated before the roll, and the effect is based on those. The successes, at most, determine if you exceptional and get an unexpected bonus.
    But then, if I am using Show of Power to emulate an instant-cast spell that I witnessed or was subjected to, what determines the factors? I do vaguely recall duration may cap at a scene by the wording of the power, but scale and potency? Reach? Do they default to base values (often 0 save the primary factor)? Does the demon set them (unlikely but not completely impossible)? Or does the demon replicate the exact spell, recreating and emulating the same reach, potency, scale, and duration as the original casting?

If this has been answered already and someone can point me to the answer, I would appreciate that, and apologize for the re-ask!

The intent of Show of Power feels to be to recreate a weak version of the spell (any contested rolls will just fuck you over, after all), as such, I would lean towards the lowest possible factors to make that possible. If we're throwing a fireball, it's the weakest possible fireball for it to still be thrown. With lowest scale and potency.
    That power mostly feels like "some utility, but mostly being able to pretend any supernatural splat you've witnessed"

My Bloodline conversions
    My House rules

Comment

Originally posted by EndlessKng View Post
      Or does the demon replicate the exact spell, recreating and emulating the same reach, potency, scale, and duration as the original casting?
      In my play experience, this is the only sane way to run it where replicating mage abilities is concerned.

Comment

RAW looks like you duplicate whatever the mage just did, at 1 success. No particular reason why mage abilities are special.

Comment

Originally posted by Deinos View Post
          RAW looks like you duplicate whatever the mage just did, at 1 success. No particular reason why mage abilities are special.
          The reason it's special is because this power was published back when the strength of mage abilities were (in part) determined by the number of successes. Then Mage 2e came out and you could cast a ridiculously powerful spell by adjusting spell factors prior to casting (via resource expenditure and dice bonuses and penalties) and pull it off with one success.

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
          Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
          Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

I don't see a problem. Mages should be careful of pulling too powerful of spells in a public place, you never know who may be watching.

Also the only kind of roll that's supposed to vary by number of successes in 2e are Resisted, which are supposed to be for things like direct damage. Most other things are just dfail/fail/success/exsuccess. There are lots of powers, like most Mummy ones, that don't require any at all.

Comment

Working...
            X