Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Legend limited to traits which are only at 0?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Legend limited to traits which are only at 0?

Why is Legend limited to traits which are only at 0?

And I'm not asking about the book explains, I mean from a mechanical standpoint, why was the decision made? It could work to bring your traits up to the Covers, and the penalty could just be the total dots you arrive at, but the decision was made to only allow going from 0. Why?

My Bloodline conversions
    My House rules

At a guess, because the unSkilled penalty and the complete lack of an ability a scaled Merit provides is a more significant hurdle than the difference between Medicine 3 and 4.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

This more goes into when you learn something at 1, suddenly you can no longer Legend stuff, even if you were able to go to 4 a moment again.

And if it's not a hurdle to care about, WHY have the limitation?

My Bloodline conversions
      My House rules

Comment

Originally posted by Griautis View Post
        This more goes into when you learn something at 1, suddenly you can no longer Legend stuff, even if you were able to go to 4 a moment again.
        It is substantially harder to fake doctorate-level knowledge of physics if you flunked out of high school science class. It is much more difficult to lean on mob connections that you don't have than it is to press your luck with such connections at a minimal level.

And if it's not a hurdle to care about, WHY have the limitation?
        A power that exists to help demons pass casual scrutiny under Cover treats needing to not have basic ties to or training in the things the Unchained is cheating their way into as a necessary limitation because it does not exist to bootstrap the Unchained into omnicompetence.

Take a look at how demons' mechanics work: a starting character can use Legend increase their Skills without the ability's dicepool springing a hole up to eighteen times, assuming an incredibly lopsided Skill distribution; meanwhile, the nature of Merits provides a notionally infinite variety of options to borrow from a Cover's backstory, but the Unchained have to keep in mind that most Merits they can have (particularly Social Merits) are attached to specific Covers; on top of this, each time they resolve the Impostor Condition by buying a dot in a Trait they ought to have, they earn a Cover Beat.

It's an incentive to patch up the holes in your skillset and grow your Cover by hitting the basics of its qualifications, not a way to consume the brains of professionals through calculated identity theft.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

It likely has to do with how legend gives you a condition that makes you want to buy up a skill or merit.

Comment

Satchel has some good points on why it makes sense IC. Still quite not sure on why it was chosen OOC.

Deinos, I don't think the condition is relevant here. Even without that limitation, the condition could still be there, still encouraging you to buy up those skills and merits.

My Bloodline conversions
            My House rules

Comment

Originally posted by Griautis View Post
              Satchel has some good points on why it makes sense IC. Still quite not sure on why it was chosen OOC.
              I gave a pretty explicit hypothesis of "Because it doesn't exist as a mechanic to facilitate specialization and rapidly-acquired professional expertise," if that means anything at all.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                I gave a pretty explicit hypothesis of "Because it doesn't exist as a mechanic to facilitate specialization and rapidly-acquired professional expertise," if that means anything at all.

Ok, it makes sense to me now. Thank you.

My Bloodline conversions
                My House rules

Comment

Working...
                X