Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens when an Angel fills its track of Bashing damage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens when an Angel fills its track of Bashing damage?

The Chronicles of Darkness manual states:
    Physical attacks on a Manifested entity that would normally cause lethal damage only cause bashing damage unless the attack utilizes the entity’s bane. Despite appearing to the naked eye and being solid, a Manifested spirit, ghost, or angel doesn’t have any internal organs to injure.
    I'm imagining a situation where an angel is taking multiple Lethal attacks each round, which cause only Bashing damage. What happens when the angel's Corpus track fills up with Bashing damage?
    • Do they have to make a reflexive roll to stay conscious?
    • Do the subsequent Lethal attacks then act as Lethal?
    • If that track gets filled again, do they take Aggravated damage?
    I am trying to determine if any attack that does not involve their Bane can stop (even temporarily) an Ephemeral.

Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
    Do they have to make a reflexive roll to stay conscious?
    Nothing objectively says they're immune to this, but it doesn't really make any sense for this to be the case, so I would say no.

Do the subsequent Lethal attacks then act as Lethal?
    This would be the most logical reading of the rules.

If that track gets filled again, do they take Aggravated damage?
    Generally not an issue, but yes, wrap around damage would continue to proceed as normal. Ephemeral entities that fill with lethal damage while Manifested immediately discorporate; and the same happens with Aggravated damage anyway (Agg is just more likely to permanently kill them or at least extend their recovery time even longer).

I am trying to determine if any attack that does not involve their Bane can stop (even temporarily) an Ephemeral.
    Yep, it's just a lot harder.

Comment

There's a reason why splats who do have inherent edges over their ephemeral foes are big deals, like werewolves. For demons and anything else dealing with angels, part of the point is that nothing really has an edge over them. The host of Heaven are principalities and dominions and thrones given form, not some scrabbling guard of rats or lonely little reality warpers.

Angels be tough, yo.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
        Yes. If you're not able to fill its Corpus twice over to reach full lethal (which is pretty unlikely), you've at least started the process with the first strike. Just keep going at it until you've done enough damage. It's preferable to have buddies around who can help.
        If you're asking about whether a single attack does any difference, then no, but that's generally true for everyone unless you use the optional beaten down rules. CofD combat can be dangerously lethal, but only humans going against things out of their league tend to go down in one hit.

Alternatively, you can find some non-Bane means of dealing aggravated damage, such as the Hellfire Exploit for demons.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
        X