Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working on my Intro game for players, where should I start?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on my Intro game for players, where should I start?

Link to my Session 1 recap.

I ran my players through a Mortals game and we are currently working on character creation right now but any advice on how to introduce them to the setting a bit more would be great.

So far only one of my players has a backstory sent. She was a destroyer angel that failed her mission to kill a child destined to become a mass murderer. I’m going to plan on the God-Machine having replaced her with a Guardian Angel to protect the child, because the plan has now changed. The Guardian Angel I already have an idea, a Teddy Bear that only can move when people aren’t looking at it, but has numina to blind people and help it move quickly.

She also has a friend who fell around the same time as her, for similar reasons. I’m debating whether he is lying or not. My gut is to keep it the truth, but he is leaving something out. Her boss also thinks she is a vampire, but has no clue.

I know where I want them to end up. There is a piece of Command and Control infrastructure somewhere in the city that needs to be taken down.

At the start of the game, the God-Machine has just had a major victory in Boston, MA and Demons are retreating to CT and NH to regroup. The Agency they are apart of will have been getting radio silence for a few weeks now, but they are worried.

Destroying the Command and Control infrastructure will help keep the God-Machine from doing what it did to Boston to them.

My thought is to throw a few stigmatics running a drug operation. I kind of want them to meet a Rank 1 angel antagonist within the next few sessions. But also I really want an Angel like Fairchild from the core book to show up (Hunter Angel who acts as an ally to Demons in hopes of recovering them).

I’ve got a few Angels and Demon NPCs lines up. My favorite so far is the Seamstress a Psychopomp that specializes in clothing based gadgets. I made a quick reference guid for myself, but it’s 11 pages long... Yikes! But it’s necessary to understand how cover and pacts work. It seems weird at Primum 1 that they can only have one cover, but I guess that pushes them to try to get to Primum 2.

So what do you all think? Any advice or recommendations you can give?

My main worries are:
    • What low level antagonist should I introduce my players to?
    • How should I introduce my players to Rings and Agencies? I’m thinking starting with a Free Agency and then have them decide to go either Temporal or Insurgent.
    • Since the city has Demons the expectation is that Angels do have a presence there, but how can I show that the presence is growing stronger?
    • Has anyone played around with Demons not knowing everything about the God-Machine and supernatural world? My plan is that my players don’t know about Vampires, Werewolves, etc... but they are familiar with Infrastructure, Cryptids, and Angels to an extent. They probably don’t know about Imperatives, Echos, and Lares.
    Last edited by DontEatRawHagis; 12-16-2019, 02:49 PM.

I would have started off a little slower and probably not introduce an Angel for a few sessions (5 to 10 sessions). Start off with a Dalgas and Clockwork Servitors as an example. You could have several sessions in just figuring out what they are and what they are being used for. Perhaps they spot an Angel checking in on the Dalgas. Or maybe they find an "obsolete" Dalgas that has been abandoned and trying to survive. Another idea is a Lare. Maybe they think it's a haunting? Or an Echo which would really confuse them.

Ring and Agencies should be very leery about new Demons. Perhaps they send them on a few missions before letting them know more? Think of spy novels and cells.

For a growing presence, if you have someone in Law Enforcement to start finding clues that things are being subtly changed at first and getting larger or more elaborate. It doesn't have to make sense, just grow bigger. Example: vital statistics on certain people change. Small changes like a different first name for someone's wife or husband. Later, people start disappearing Or perhaps a shooting shows 1 person killed but there are 5 unidentified bodies instead.

If this is a fairly new group, then you can do whatever you want. However, if this is a group of players that know about all the genres, use something like Supernatural Lore (under the 1st Edition rules) to limit what a character should know. Here's how I use it: 1 dot: You know about your own species, 2 dot: You know antagonist for your species, 3 dot: You know about the offshoots, more rare facets of your species 4 dots: You know the origins of your species.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Ghostdriver; 11-19-2019, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DontEatRawHagis View Post
      I ran my players through a Mortals game and we are currently working on character creation right now but any advice on how to introduce them to the setting a bit more would be great.

So what do you all think? Any advice or recommendations you can give?

My main worries are:
      • What low level antagonist should I introduce my players to?
      • How should I introduce my players to Rings and Agencies? I’m thinking starting with a Free Agency and then have them decide to go either Temporal or Insurgent.
      • Since the city has Demons the expectation is that Angels do have a presence there, but how can I show that the presence is growing stronger?
      • Has anyone played around with Demons not knowing everything about the God-Machine and supernatural world? My plan is that my players don’t know about Vampires, Werewolves, etc... but they are familiar with Infrastructure, Cryptids, and Angels to an extent. They probably don’t know about Imperatives, Echos, and Lares.
      Don't be afraid to let the players do a bit of the work for you. The most important step (IMO) is having them determine why their character fell. That tells you what their characters value, and that gives you a hook into your narrative. It's also often handy to let the players determine why they know each other, how they met, and make up a bit of the "prequel" to your chronicle. From your short description you might have a newbie demon or two start to make contacts in Boston only to find the Agency they hoped to join is now a smoking crater. Now they all meet in a slightly panicked state and have sketchy contacts to an Agency that is asking them what happened.

Cultists make good initial low level antagonists. For a Chronicle start I have used Cryptids generated as a by-product of a specific GodMachine activity. This gives the players a moderate challenge as well as a hook into the greater storyline. If you are want to give clues of increasing GM presence I would use a spreading cult. This could be anything from head-shaved trans humanists offering "personality tests" on street corners to a multi-level MaryKay-like marketing push recruiting a sales force. Give them a logo of some sort that keeps appearing on pamphlets, and graffiti, and t-shirts and billboards and in video games...

Newbie demons may very well have no knowledge of any supernaturals unless it was part of their activities before they fell. I run Angels as more of a secret police, working very much on a "need to know" basis. So before they fell a PC might have very little knowledge of any GM scheme other than the one in which they were involved.

I recommend avoiding a DnD mindset where you think of the C&C infrastructure as a GodMachine lair, and angels and simulacra are monsters you put in certain locations. DtD is a spy story as well. Think in terms of power relations, and who reports to whom. The higher-ups may be perfectly willing to sacrifice the PC's if they think it will frustrate the GM. NPC's should have hidden agendas and motives hold be unclear. Demon NPC's may have rebelled against the GodMachine, but that doesn't mean that they have to be "good". Maybe they rebelled because they wanted to be serial killers, or want to be worshipped or are obsessed with procuring works of art.

Please post how it goes!
      Last edited by KieranMullen; 11-23-2019, 02:35 AM.

Comment

So far the game hasn't started yet. But all these tips are very helpful!

We've finally finished character creation with almost everyone, but getting everyone together is pretty tough.

I've got 3 players:
        • Tech Bro
        • Detective
        • Politician (I'm assuming he's going to stick with this character type, but it could change)
        Tech Bro and Detective have gone over their character backgrounds with each other, but that's as far as we've gotten.

So far these are the character creation steps we've gotten though:
        • Assigning Attributes + Skills
        • Choosing Merits
        • Choosing Embeds/Exploits
        • Choosing Demon Form abilities.
        • Answering the 5 questions from page 113 in DtD: Core.
        • Selecting Aspirations
        • General overview of their time as an Angel, their Fall, and what they are currently up to.
        I'm really hoping to have played a game before New Years, but the holiday season really screws with people's schedules.

Comment

Are you talking about a live chronicle or it's a play-by-forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Ipergigio View Post
            Are you talking about a live chronicle or it's a play-by-forum?
            Live Roll20, all the players have been playing together for 7 years.

Comment

Ah... then I'm out ^^;

Comment

Working...
              X