Person of Interest is now a Demon game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Person of Interest is now a Demon game

As of the third season finalie of Person of Interest, it has become a full fledged Demon: the Descent game. Details spoilered. Go watch the show, it's cool.

The episode ended with a superintelligent and not-friendly (well maybe) computer going online, but it's been hard coded to ignore new identities for our heroes. So, as long as they pretend to be these people properly, they avoid the attention of this new Machine God.

So, yeah, our heroes now have Covers and a true God-Machine to avoid.
    Last edited by BrilliantRain; 05-14-2014, 09:25 AM.

Placeholder

While I'm not up to date on it, it was pretty much "close enough" for the entire show's life :P

Comment

Well the show was one of the recomended TV shows in the book. And after end of 3rd season it became quite awesome.

Comment

Two competing God Machines, one destined to become self serving while the other protective of lesser beings. Sounds good to me and I've been watching the show since the beginning. I like how blind spots were snuck into Samaritan's program and am interested in seeing where they go with the show.

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
        Posts in this color are moderator posts
        Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
        Forum Terms of Use
        the Contact Us link.

Comment

Necropost for the series finale.

So! What inspiration for DtD can we take from POI, and apply to the reverse?

Mr. Finch: is described in the corebook as a Psychopomp Inquisitor, and I'd say that's fitting. Not sure exactly when he Fell...the death of Nathan? 9/11? Earlier?

Mr. Reese: if we assume that he's a Destroyer Saboteur as described in the core, I personally think he Fell after refusing to play a part in setting off the 9/11 attacks... then joined an Agency when it happened anyway, only for the Agency to be revealed as Integrators when they tried to burn him and his partner. His Hell is a world where he can save lives instead of taking them.

Fusco and Carter: mortal allies/Hunters

Root: I would say that Root was a Messenger Tempter when first introduced. Not sure what her Agenda is later on. Her Hell is finding a God worthy of serving again.

Agent Shaw: I want to say Sameen is a Destroyer Integrator... she does see value and purpose in the system and her old mission, even after her masters tried to have her killed.

Mr. Greer: either a mortal agent of the God Machine or possibly an Analyst Integrator...?

Samaritan: is actually an Angel summoned to purge Finch and his agents and reclaim the suborned infrastructure, putting the God Machine properly back in charge.

The Machine: this is an interesting thought that occurred to me...at the end of season two the Machine is finally given a "voice" and a certain degree of free will. By the end of the series it's clearly aware and communicating with its assets directly. So what is it? Did Finch's hubris actually spawn a new, demonic Machine from God's infrastructure, a la Promethean? (Keep in mind I'm envisioning this in terms of adapting POI to the assumed standard setting of a DtD/CoD chronicle.)

Comment

Reese is an Antimonian. He wants to be a Guardian, but he's really, really good at being a Destroyer.

Root is an Exile, or at very least, an Integrator
            Last edited by Agentwestmer; 07-07-2016, 09:57 PM.

Comment

I would peg Finch as an Analyst, maybe. He's especially good with tech, and his Fall Catalyst is definitely his relationships with Nathan and Grace. Inquisitior, without a doubt. Within the last couple of episodes he went Saboteur to a horrifying extreme.

Reese is definitely a Saboteur, but maybe with Tempter leanings- he wants to build a simple life, but it doesn't work out that way. He's quite possibly an Antimonian- he wants to save people so badly, but he's far better at killing than saving.

I don't think Shaw is an Integrator, or not just an Integrator, but she is a Destroyer through and through. Sometimes she seems better at it than even Reese is.

I always thought Greer made a good Angel. Or if not an Angel then a mortal handler for an extremely powerful Angel - Infrastructure system, a virtual avatar of the God-Machine; Samaritan.

The Machine is what happens when a Rank 5+ Exile manages to disconnect Infrastructure from the God-Machine for its own use. When Finch Fell, he suborned the Infrastructure that would produce the Machine, turning it from a Loyalist Angel (the first 42 models) to an Exile. The Machine also displays some Unchained behaviours, what with the Earnest Thornhill identity and his holdings.

Root is an Integrator through and through- all she ever wanted was to become part of God on her own terms. She got it, just not the way she wanted.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

I would peg Finch as an Analyst as well, except that he's more of a planner and builder, which better fits the Psychopomp role in setting up infrastructure for the G-M. Wheels within wheels, as it were... He built the Machine, after all, to do the analyzing for him.

I'm shifted my stance on Reese's Fall. He maybe was intended to be involved in the 9/11 attacks in some way, but Fell for love before he could complete his mission.

Comment

Another potential way to think of the Machine (that popped in my brain over a cup of tea) is that the Machine is an extremely powerful Demon that relies extensively on Embeds/Exploits/Form Abilities such as Dataform, Electromagnetic Vision, Right or Left, Demon House, etc.

Root as an Analogue Interface works as a Sleeve Integrator for a Demon, Finch is clearly a Sympathetic Human to the Sympathetic Demon, the various other characters that are Machine assets are clearly a mixture of stigmatics in various ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenesis View Post
                    Another potential way to think of the Machine (that popped in my brain over a cup of tea) is that the Machine is an extremely powerful Demon that relies extensively on Embeds/Exploits/Form Abilities such as Dataform, Electromagnetic Vision, Right or Left, Demon House, etc.
                    Sounds more like a very, very powerful gadget.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephsy View Post

Sounds more like a very, very powerful gadget.
                      Maybe. Sapient gadgets could make an unusual twist (File that away for future plot-kits).

The thing is that the Machine (and Samaratin) are both intelligent beings....making them a Gadget would be underselling it a bit.

Comment

Which is why I considered the possibility that the Machine could be to the G-M what Prometheans are to the Principle.

Alternatively, what if Finch subverting the Infrastructure in question in order to receive the irrelevant numbers actually caused a portion/subsystem of the God-Machine Itself to Fall, after a fashion...?? (A Devil-Machine on the side of humanity?)

Comment

Originally posted by Knowbody View Post
                          Necropost for the series finale.

So! What inspiration for DtD can we take from POI, and apply to the reverse?

Mr. Finch: is described in the corebook as a Psychopomp Inquisitor, and I'd say that's fitting. Not sure exactly when he Fell...the death of Nathan? 9/11? Earlier?

Mr. Reese: if we assume that he's a Destroyer Saboteur as described in the core, I personally think he Fell after refusing to play a part in setting off the 9/11 attacks... then joined an Agency when it happened anyway, only for the Agency to be revealed as Integrators when they tried to burn him and his partner. His Hell is a world where he can save lives instead of taking them.

Fusco and Carter: mortal allies/Hunters

Root: I would say that Root was a Messenger Tempter when first introduced. Not sure what her Agenda is later on. Her Hell is finding a God worthy of serving again.

Agent Shaw: I want to say Sameen is a Destroyer Integrator... she does see value and purpose in the system and her old mission, even after her masters tried to have her killed.

Mr. Greer: either a mortal agent of the God Machine or possibly an Analyst Integrator...?

Samaritan: is actually an Angel summoned to purge Finch and his agents and reclaim the suborned infrastructure, putting the God Machine properly back in charge.

The Machine: this is an interesting thought that occurred to me...at the end of season two the Machine is finally given a "voice" and a certain degree of free will. By the end of the series it's clearly aware and communicating with its assets directly. So what is it? Did Finch's hubris actually spawn a new, demonic Machine from God's infrastructure, a la Promethean? (Keep in mind I'm envisioning this in terms of adapting POI to the assumed standard setting of a DtD/CoD chronicle.)

Well who's to say that Finch did not split the God-Machine and now he has a part of it and use that to craft a new god he' built for himself.

Comment

Working...
                          X