God-Machine Project: Project Avatar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God-Machine Project: Project Avatar

I created this as a project that the God-Machine might be moving forward to. Its easy to stop early on in the process, but as it escalates the players should have a harder and harder time trying to win.

Please let me know what you think. I may use this format for future story hooks.

Forge the God-Machine Avatar

This Project is devised by the God-Machine to direct its energies into an Avatar on Earth. Such an entity would create ripples through reality in a way that could spell disaster for Unchained and humanity alike.
    Forging the Body
    • Infrastructure
      • MIdwife - Psychopomp Angel, with the Cover of a fertility clinic doctor. Mission is to collect the material components to forge the body of the God-Machine, though they do not know that is the purpose. Rank 3. Ban, cannot harm children. Bane, scissors that have cut an umbilical cord in the last day.
      • Fertility Clinic - Facility that can generate the body of the Avatar.
    • Occult Matrix
      • Four Components - In order for the Infrastructure of the Fertility Clinic to work the components of the body must be present. Each component is symbolic and is not only one thing, though the quality of the resources can affect the quality of the body.
        • Mother of Water - Symbolic of logic.
        • Father of Fire - Symbolic of fury.
        • Blood of the Beast - A symbol of the Id.
        • Milk of Human Kindness - A symbol of humanity’s morality.
    • The Output
      • Forge the Body - The Mother gives birth to the child in 4 months instead of 9. For all appearances the child is a miracle baby and completely human. However, depending on the material components the body is more durable than an average person. Until the soul is in place the Body has the equivalent of a human soul.
        • The Body will age at an accelerated rate compared to most children. This is determined by the Storyteller. The original intent is that the God-Machine’s Avatar reaches adulthood by the time the 4th Project is complete.
        • The Body is Infrastructure. As such it has a Lynchpin that is difficult to identify. And also can give off Aether that Demons can siphon from. And is easily identified as Infrastructure (But not its purpose) by Demons and those with Unseen Sense (God-Machine).
    Forging the Soul
    • Infrastructure
      • Nanny - Messenger Angel, with the Cover of a nanny to look after the child. Rank 3. Assigned to deliver Command and Control Infrastructure directly into the Body. Ban cannot be outside of a mile of the Body. Bane, baby tooth of the Body.
    • Occult Matrix
      • Four Lessons - In order for the Command and Control Infrastructure to become activated, the Messenger Angel needs to teach the child how to communicate with that part of its Infrastructure body. Each lesson must be completed in one week increments for fear of damaging the Body with this information. The Body cannot repeat what is said, and any attempt at intercepting a lesson results in gibberish/static being recorded/heard.
        • Truth of Reality - The Angel imparts information about the nature of the Supernatural.
        • Truth of the Ally - The Angel imparts information on what angels are.
        • Truth of the Enemy - The Angel imparts information on what demons are.
        • Truth of Purpose - The Angel imparts information on what the God-Machine is.
    • The Output
      • Forge the Soul - The Body’s human soul is replaced with an artificial God-Machine soul. From this point on the Body and Soul are an underpowered Avatar, imbued with supernatural durability and intelligence, but without power.
        • The Avatar understands its relationship to the God-Machine and Angels.
        • The Avatar can command Angels as though it were the God-Machine without risking the Angels’ Fall.
        • The Avatar can sense Unchained if they are in the Cover they started with (i.e. the one the God-Machine gave it).
        • The Avatar can “forgive” an Exiled Angel.
    Forging the Power
    • Infrastructure
      • The Bodyguard - An Angel in a shape that the Body chooses for it. This is a Rank 5 Guardian Angel which has two goals; keeping the Avatar safe. Ban cannot follow the Avatar’s direct orders, must only act in defense (i.e. cannot attack anyone who is not an immediate threat to the Avatar). If discorporated, the Bodyguard will reappear near the Avatar Infrastructure. Bane, being stabbed with a bone or weapon bathed in the remains of one of Lincoln’s bodyguards.
      • Monster Traps - Infrastructure of various types designed to trap Supernatural creatures. This includes but is not limited to vampire havens full of unsuspecting Mortals, artifacts stolen from Mummies, etc...
    • Occult Matrix
      • Four Powers - In order for the Avatar to become more powerful it must take on the characteristics of Supernatural entities. The quality of the Supernatural Entity results in a higher quality God-Machine Avatar. The Avatar has the ability to absorb a Supernatural being’s essence. This usually results in the target being turned into a human.
        • For instance, taking a freshly turned low generation Vampire may give the Avatar access to simple Vampire abilities, but taking on an Antediluvian would be better, except that would risk the life of the Avatar.
        • Creatures born from the God-Machine, such as Angels, stigmatics, and Cryptids cannot be used for this absorption.
        • The Avatar cannot Absorb Demons, this is a hint at the Lynchpin for the Avatar.
        • Special Effects
          • Vampire - Absorbing a Vampire grants the Avatar the ability to drain Mortal lifeforce to heal itself.
          • Changeling - Absorbing a Changeling allows the God-Machine access to the Hedge.
          • Feel free to add more.
    • The Output
      • Forge the Power - The Avatar gains the abilities of four supernatural entities as well as bonus abilities as the Storyteller sees fit. Additionally once the Occult Matrix has been completed the Avatar gains the following:
        • The Avatar loses the ability to Absorb.
        • The Avatar cannot be killed by mundane means, reforging immediately at the nearest Infrastructure that can do so.
        • The Avatar can create the Infrastructure Condition.
        • The Avatar can summon Angels, if there are any nearby.
        • The Avatar can teleport between Infrastructure within a region as long as it is near Infrastructure that is not itself. (Note, it can create Infrastructure nearby to get around this limitation)
    Forging the God
    • Infrastructure
      • The Avatar - The physical embodiment of the God-Machine on Earth. At this stage the God-Machine is powerful, but not omnipotent. Anything short of its Lynchpin will barely affect it. The Avatar is not omniscient or omnipotent, but it's getting close.
      • Finding the Gods - The God-Machine has Infrastructure allowing it to attract God-like beings to it or for it to travel to them. These should be their own projects with their own Occult Matrices to get it there.
    • Occult Matrix
      • Four Gods - In order for the Avatar to become omnipotent the Avatar must complete four challenges to become the God-Machine’s almighty Avatar. The problem is that it must kill other powerful entities to establish dominance. These encounters should likely happen off screen, but with their effects shown through supernatural events such as blood raining from the sky, massive localized thunderstorms, etc... These are giants fighting it out for control, and players seeing such fights will likely see events no mortal has ever witnessed.
        • Note: This is meant to be difficult, getting to this point is end game for Demons in the region.
        • Qashmal
        • True Fae
        • Antediluvian
        • Etc...
    • The Output
      • Forge the God- The Avatar is the equivalent of a God in whichever region it has dominion over (i.e. God of the current city). Here are the abilities and limitations of the Avatar at this final stage.
        • The Region the Avatar is currently in is considered Infrastructure (i.e. if the Avatar was created in Boston, Boston is now considered Infrastructure).
        • The Avatar can sense every Mortal within its Region. Allowing it to identify supernatural beings by process of elimination.
        • The Avatar has omnipotent powers only within its Infrastructure.
    How to Kill the Avatar

The Avatar has many ways to kill it, but as it gets more powerful the Avatar closes off these weaknesses.
    1. Any Stage
      1. The Lynchpin for the Avatar is Demon Blood. As such the Avatar will instinctively avoid getting close to Demons.
      2. The Avatar cannot exist outside the region governed by its creation. Removing it from the region will undo all the work the Angels did to create it. Any Infrastructure created by the Avatar at this point dismantles itself.
      3. Raze Infrastructure is a one-shot kill for the Avatar. But requires the user to be in physical contact with the Avatar as well as hit a bunch of successes as part of an extended check. If done early enough this might turn the Avatar Mortal without any knowledge of the God-Machine. Otherwise the Avatar is eaten by corrosive aether.
      4. Devour Infrastructure directly damages the Avatar as if it were Aggravated Damage.
    2. Stage Zero - Before Conception
      1. Stopping the Avatar’s Body from being forged completely stops the Avatar project from being created. Only one Avatar per region can ever be attempted due to universal laws.
    3. Stage One - The Body
      1. The Avatar’s Body is at its most vulnerable before it learns its nature. Putting enough Lethal damage into the Body will destroy the Avatar. But it is more durable than a normal Mortal.
    4. Stage Two - The Awoken Avatar
      1. The Avatar is still as vulnerable as it was in Stage 1, but has enough knowledge to avoid conflict.
      2. The Bodyguard Angel can take any damage done to the Avatar instead. Acting as a buffer for any attempted attacks.
      3. As the Avatar Absorbs other Supernatural creatures it will gain their Weaknesses for a short time, this counts as Aggravated Damage to both the Avatar and Bodyguard. My opinion is that this weakness should last for at least one day.
    5. Stage Three - The Powerful Avatar
      1. The Avatar loses its Bodyguard, but cannot be killed permanently by Mortal weapons.
    6. Stage Four - The God-Machine Avatar
      1. The Avatar is unkillable except by its Lynchpin or other Any Stage weakness.
    Where are the stats for the Avatar?

My guess would be that the Avatar has a very decent dice pool early on with high defense and health. I don't give any stats in this because I feel like this is subjective to many Storytellers. But here is a brief guideline:
    Stage 1 - 2 - Health 10, Defense 6. Dicepool of 8.
    Stages 3 - Create the Rank 5 Guardian Angel. This will act as a Health buffer for the Avatar.
    Stages 4 and up - The only thing that could kill the Avatar at this stage would likely be another powerful entity that doesn't have any stats at this point in CofD.

Nice Structure. I like how you list was the key actors are, the components necessary for that phase, and the outcome if left unchecked.

What happens if this process is Suborned, rather than halted entirely?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
      or what if one or more of the angels Fall?

Comment

Good questions I'll definitely add sections to my God-Machine Project template to cover these scenarios.
        Nice Structure. I like how you list was the key actors are, the components necessary for that phase, and the outcome if left unchecked.

For Suborned Infrastructure it gets disconnected to generate Aether for a Demon. I don't see mechanics to make Infrastructure Suborned aside from the Merit you can take, but I'd expect that if you can Suborn the Body early enough you can put him into a coma, which will likely tip off any Angels or Stigmatics assigned to protect the Infrastructure. Perhaps the G-M will send out a search party.

If the G-M does find the Body it will try to re-integrate it to continue the process. I don't see any notes that state Infrastructure cannot be returned once its been Suborned so I'm gonna roll with that.

The God-Machine will consider the Project still active though the Angels involved may become Exiles until the Body is found.

Originally posted by TerrorCooper View Post

or what if one or more of the angels Fall?
        As long as the Body is undamaged the God-Machine will likely try to replace any Fallen Angel. Perhaps a new doctor at the clinic, new nanny, or new bodyguard. The Body is irreplacable, the Angels are not.

The Fallen Angels might be good Allies with insight into the plans of the God-Machine. Perhaps not the complete scope of the Project, but enough to know that the child is important.

Comment

What if they suborn the project by subverting the Lessons and turn the Avatar into an Ally?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

What if they suborn the project by subverting the Lessons and turn the Avatar into an Ally?
            If it works for your players’ story I’d go with it.

Depending, the Avatar can a bit too powerful of an Ally.

Comment

So, just a very minor nitpick- Generation and Antediluvians are terms from Masquerade, while Demon is set in the Chronicles of Darkness (so you should use Requiem's terms).

The concept itself is cool, however.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                So, just a very minor nitpick- Generation and Antediluvians are terms from Masquerade, while Demon is set in the Chronicles of Darkness (so you should use Requiem's terms).

The concept itself is cool, however.
                Thank you for clarification. I never really was exposed to VTR. My first exposure was VTM: Bloodlines.

Comment

Working...
                X