Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evil Idea Shop: What if the Demon (the Fallen) were to arrive at a God-Machine world?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evil Idea Shop: What if the Demon (the Fallen) were to arrive at a God-Machine world?

I've been reading a lot of Demon the Fallen, from the (Old) World of Darkness, and been wondering about a mashup. Although it probably would remove the entire point of having the Unchained, or at the very least would shoot them off from the spotlight, I like the idea that the Demons (that at least think or say they came from the Abrahamic myths) who were fallen angels to arrive at earth, after millennia incarcerated in Hell, just to find that God is gone and so are all the other Angels and their Hosts (Gabriel, Michael, etc..).
    But, what they find instead is another god, one not so full of emotion and unknown feelings and wants, but one of metal, electricity and calculus (The God-Machine). Served by strange things that dare to be called Angels, not caring or making more of the Creation, but keeping it as the cesspool of entropy and darkness that it is. It would almost be like Planet of the Apes I guess XD
    Of course, there would be a thousand of inconsistencies and holes, but the idea is still a grand spark of fun for me. Not that the Earthbound wouldn't be a thing, they probably would just try to stay out of the way of the angels, and they would stay out of theirs. Maybe the GoMa would have clues in its Infrastructures and Angels that would answer some questions to the Elohim, and they would be a bit more frenetic in their search for Lucifer, and may even wonder if GoMa did something to him, or maybe even is him. At the same time it would give the Demons a great question about where God is and why its place was occupied by this thing (although its feel and power would be nothing like it of course), and a fairly good starting point. It would also give them a more active antagonist, as they would fill the place of the Unchained in a way. They could be considered something that simply was not meant to be, a glitch, a code that for reasons unknown are off the grid, and were in no way expected or accounted by GoMa. Which would make the Fallen a priority target for surveillance, at the very least.

Any ideas? More connections? Criticisms?

Strange... When coincidence seems too convenient, I prefer to call it fate.

-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain d=

You might be really interested in Demon: Translation Guide. It's an official booklet devoted to crossover between Fallen and Descent - including thematical. It's one of the later Translation Guides, which means the writers started to really play with the ideas available to them, which resulted in a great product.

~

Comment

Originally posted by Teatime View Post
      You might be really interested in Demon: Translation Guide. It's an official booklet devoted to crossover between Fallen and Descent - including thematical. It's one of the later Translation Guides, which means the writers started to really play with the ideas available to them, which resulted in a great product.
      Yeah, the Translation Guides are always full of cool ideas!

Comment

Check out the Inferno book boom you got the demons your asking for

Comment

Originally posted by Basic View Post
          Check out the Inferno book boom you got the demons your asking for
          Hum, hadn't seen it, but the things is, I wanted the setting of D:the Descent with the PCs as the Demons from D:the Fallen, it's not simply "having traditional devils in CoD"

Comment

Sounds like an awesome idea. And I agree, both WoD Inferno and the Demon Translation Guide might be very helpful.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

Originally posted by Banu_Saulot View Post
              Hum, hadn't seen it, but the things is, I wanted the setting of D:the Descent with the PCs as the Demons from D:the Fallen, it's not simply "having traditional devils in CoD"
              Yeah the thing you want is inferno then. Their devils and demons.

Comment

Originally posted by Basic View Post

Yeah the thing you want is inferno then. Their devils and demons.
                Nope, for this one you want the Demon Translation Guide. Inferno is focused around demons as antagonists and temptations, not as protagonists; the playable template provided is a human who's made a faustian deal with a malicious possessing demon. Inferno demons have simplistic traits, their relation to Hell and a society and interrelation between demons is intentionally ambiguous and shrouded in mystery to the point of leaving open the possibility that Hell is purely notional and demons are ultimately just human vices given form, and their activities primarily just revolve around gaining power by enticing humans to sin.

The Demon Translation Guide will equip you pretty well to run the Fallen in a God-Machine setting, complete with reflavored descriptions of demonic form abilities from Descent to integrate as Fallen apocalyptic forms. The closer you cleave to the cat-and-mouse conflict between angel and demon in Descent's model, the better you'll do; the Translation Guide generally does better translating major structural themes from Descent than into Descent. (There's very little detail or attention given to the cultivation of thralls and the harvest of faith, or the threat of losing your anchor to your body and being returned to Hell or consumed. The system provided for testing whether evocations are Tormented or not is inappropriately harsh. Other subjects less directly relevant to the core game structure are handled quite well: support for the different Houses, the Lore evocations themselves, Merits and Flaws.)

Comment

Working...
                X