Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob/Dumb question about Gadgets that I got.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob/Dumb question about Gadgets that I got.

Hey I was asked by my player in a changeling game who plays a demon if you need to know the embed/exploit you use as a basis for making the gadget. I argued that yes one does, but he thought it makes Gadgets pointless for embeds as embeds are more reliable and safer to use than a gadget version. Wut be the consensus here?

Originally posted by Caedus View Post
    Hey I was asked by my player in a changeling game who plays a demon if you need to know the embed/exploit you use as a basis for making the gadget. I argued that yes one does, but he thought it makes Gadgets pointless for embeds as embeds are more reliable and safer to use than a gadget version. Wut be the consensus here?
    You need to know the power. The point of them is that you can lend them out to mortal agents and other demons, tweak the effect with near-field gadgets, develop lambdas, and so on, none of which you can do by just having the power yourself.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

While yes, you do need to know the power to make the gadget you don't need to know it to use the gadget. So, you could potentially have it commissioned via another demon or through an agency.

Gadgets are also more restricted in their abilities than the power they utilize. So, in a way yes a gadget is potentially more reliable as it does what it does but as a result it loses out on the flexibility of the embed in question.

Then ya, as satchel say there is a fair amount open to gadgets than just you making one you made. Give it to a mortal. Twist it with a near field effect to do something you otherwise can't. Then there is the fact of aether usage, 1 aether per month for an exploited gadget is far cheaper than per use.

Gadgets are flexible in their approach. There are a fair few things that gadgets can be designed to fulfill that are out of a demons reach otherwise.

Comment

As noted here, Embeded gadgets may not be the most power of items, but they have some substantial benefits that Exploited ones simply don’t have.

Embeded gadgets don’t require aether to function, and unless invested with aether like any other object they don’t ping on aetheric resonance. They also don’t change appearances unless you really tweak the effect, and even then it’s only enough to make them look a little weird by comparison. If you have a gadget that can run remotely or autonomously then you can reliably get an effect going without having to even be in the same city. You could even set such a gadget up to protect someone without their awareness, or harm them. Oneshots even let you set up traps in this manner that you can set and forget, without leaving evidence behind. You could even take an item belonging to someone, turn it into a gadget and put it back without them ever realizing it’s different until they notice strange things happening (and even then they may not attribute it to the actual gadget).

Near-fields are also great for embeded gadgets because you can take an effect you know and tweak it enough that it resembles what you know but goes in a new direction. While exploited gadgets can also do this, embeded gadgets are great because, as noted, they’re subtle in appearance and can be really tricky to find if you hide them right.

Finally, programmed gadgets can only be embeded, which is a whole new class of gadget that you can utilize simply by opening a program on a flash drive or accessing a particular website. Suddenly any device you can open this gadget on becomes the hardware for it, and then once you’re done you just drop the website or unplug the flash drive and you don’t have a gadget on hand.

Comment

Working...
        X