Demon: the Decent Kickstarter in the future

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demon: the Decent Kickstarter in the future

with The Contagion Chronicle out for cross over play and the rise in awareness of the 2nd edition / chronicles of darkness on youtube could their be space for a Demon: the Decent 2nd edition that is a standalone book and no longer uses the 1st edition world of darkness source book? I think this would renew interest and you would see them more in cross over games as well. Finally it makes the whole product line more understandable.

I think they are gonna do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      That would be great if they do. I wonder if they will give an eta for the Kickstarter soon?

Comment

It'd be difficult to market it properly. You can't call it a second edition of Demon: The Descent if the primary change is just rewording some of the rules to make it stand-alone.
        And, really, with the rules update appendix, I think it's fully possible to play Demon using only that book, with only a few unfortunate references to the World of Darkness rulebook.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Jadealien View Post
          That would be great if they do. I wonder if they will give an eta for the Kickstarter soon?
          It’s not even in development yet, but they’re already doing Mummy 2e and Demon is the last game to be created under the old 1e rules (except maybe Beast I’m not sure), so it will probably be next.

Comment

Demon is the last game to be created under the old 1e rules
            Demon is the first game to be created under the 2e rules. The IP owners at the time told Onyx Path they couldn't call it a second edition, which obviously changed later on, but the God-Machine Rules Update, most of which is reprinted in Demon, marks the rollout of the 2e ruleset. Demon uses Conditions, 2e weapon ratings instead of 1e weapon bonuses, Aspirations, freeform Virtue and Vice, flat experience costs per dot, all that jazz.

Demon is the last game to be created using the old 1e layout, that is to say Introduction > Setting Chapter > Character Creation > Special Rules & Systems > Storytelling > Signature City. Vampire 2e (initially released as Blood & Smoke: The Strix Chronicle — remember, couldn't call it 2e at the time) was the first corebook to use the 2e layout of Introduction > Splats > Setting > Character Creation > Core Rules > Antagonists > Sample Cities > Storytelling > Lesser/Supporting Template.

As nice as it would be to have a copy of Demon that doesn't require referencing another book and has the core rules in one neat place, I would not personally expect Onyx Path to spend development money and opportunity costs on a Kickstarter to raise buzz for what are basically structural touch-ups for a book that was otherwise already sold in a past Kickstarter. From a business perspective this is kind of like throwing money in a hole.
            Last edited by Stupid Loserman; 08-22-2021, 12:49 PM.

Comment

It’s not even in development yet, but they’re already doing Mummy 2e and Demon is the last game to be created under the old 1e rules (except maybe Beast I’m not sure), so it will probably be next.
              Demon: The Descent was created using the updated rules from the God-Machine Chronicles, which was later formalised into Chronicles of Darkness Second Edition. The book has a typical 1e layout and some references to the 1e core book, but it's ~95% compliant with all the 2e games because it was created based on the same updated rules as Vampire 2e, Beast, Mummy 2e, Deviant, etc.

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post

Demon is the first game to be created under the 2e rules. The IP owners at the time told Onyx Path they couldn't call it a second edition, which obviously changed later on, but the God-Machine Rules Update, most of which is reprinted in Demon, marks the rollout of the 2e ruleset. Demon uses Conditions, 2e weapon ratings instead of 1e weapon bonuses, Aspirations, freeform Virtue and Vice, flat experience costs per dot, all that jazz.

Demon is the last game to be created using the old 1e layout, that is to say Introduction > Setting Chapter > Character Creation > Special Rules & Systems > Storytelling > Signature City. Vampire 2e (initially released as Blood & Smoke: The Strix Chronicle — remember, couldn't call it 2e at the time) was the first corebook to use the 2e layout of Introduction > Splats > Setting > Character Creation > Core Rules > Antagonists > Sample Cities > Storytelling > Lesser/Supporting Template.

As nice as it would be to have a copy of Demon that doesn't require referencing another book and has the core rules in one neat place, I would not personally expect Onyx Path to spend development money and opportunity costs on a Kickstarter to raise buzz for what are basically structural touch-ups for a book that was otherwise already sold in a past Kickstarter. From a business perspective this is kind of like throwing money in a hole.
                Makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post

the pitch is to renew interest and bring in new people and also remove reservations to buy print on demand. Bring the book inline with the others as they did with vampire the requiem and why not fix or alter any issues that still remain in the current version? It is all about thinking from the customers point of view. Do customers want out of date formatting and extra books required to mess about with? Do they want clear branding so they understand something is in the current game line ie 2nd edition via label on the front cover? Do they want to do that cross over and zoo game with books that appeal to them using contagion chronicles, which currently sets it apart from world of Darkness? I am sure if the book was relaunched improved and fixed and made as a standalone youtubers and websites would review it and start to run streams of actual play and people would pick it more for cross over games also.

Comment

Originally posted by Jadealien View Post
                    I am sure if the book was relaunched improved and fixed and made as a standalone youtubers and websites would review it and start to run streams of actual play and people would pick it more for cross over games also.
                    Demon 1e came out eight years ago, not long after Mummy 1e, which delivered the last of its Kickstarter stretch goals less than five years ago.. Mummy 2e core is almost in its finalized state now, after running its Kickstarter nearly two years ago.

If you're going to put up a Kickstarter for a "relaunched, improved, and fixed" version of a book that came out at the start of an edition that's now nearly as old as the edition that came before it, you might as well just make a Kickstarter for a new edition of the line, at which point you might as well wait until the next edition of the franchise can get a core rulebook out and avoid the whole mess that led Demon to need to include a copy of the Rules Appendix in the first place.

Resident Lore-Hound
                    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Honestly even if the core rules (as in 2e) don't change, I would dig a Demon 2e anyway.

Keep it on the chronicles system but do a pass over all the mechanics and flavour. Integrate some of the stuff from the expansions into core, rework angel rules to work more in the Demon context (Angels mechanically work great in God Machine Chronicle games, but are very odd in Demon game imo. I feel they should be more like Horrors with Dread Powers and Angel forms instead of ephemeral beings). Add more mechanics around concepts such as infrastructure making them easier for players and GM's to plan and structure.

I love Demon, easily my top WOD game, period, but I could never get my head around it until reading the player and storyteller guides. I find the corebook is so rich on ideas its hard to concretely put something together - that plus the muddled layout from being a 1E but actually 2e book just make that harder.
                      Last edited by LordofIron; 08-24-2021, 06:54 PM.

Find my Homebrew so far here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
                      So far its Demon Merits, Vampire 1e to 2e ports and a Knowledge collection mechanic for the Ordo Dracul!

Comment

Based on what? Apart from wishful thinking?

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Working...
                        X