Sample Ciphers and Interlocks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
    You can give the animal a message and command it to bring it to X, though. Or use Special Message beforehand on the animal. It just seems... redundant.
    I don't know how to tell you this, but "give a coded message to a living being that can then seek out a target" is not, in fact, redundant with "tell an animal to do a thing it would normally do" or "hide a message in a piece of art," considering that it combines bits of at least three different other Embeds to accomplish the specific effect of "use an animal to deliver a message."

Special Message isn't going to work on an animal you haven't marked or trained in some way and Animal Communication isn't going to give an animal any ability to find a target without you telling it where to go. Animal Messenger sends an otherwise normal animal to a target you need no special awareness of to convey a message through non-linguistic means. That is the specific thing that is does, and it does it without needing to buy another Embed or do the legwork needed to prepare the vector of delivery to reach its target.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
      As for the pacting animals aspect, I can appreciate a few problems with that (the lack of a signature, for one). I was mostly wanting to give Ms. Wilds the ability to create a cat cover for herself, since Wtiches and, well, Cats were major themes for her character. That said, making the power limited only to cats felt a little much, so I expanded it to all animals while limiting her to one language at a time.

Thanks for the feedback.
      The other problem is that soul-less things can't make Pacts. Or rather, they aren't enforceable. Soulless humans, Beasts, and other Demons are exempt. Apparently, Vampires, Werewolves, etc. have something equivalent enough to work, though.

If you are into cat forms, may I interest you in a bit of homebrew?
      Last edited by Vent0; 06-20-2018, 03:43 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

The other problem is that soul-less things can't make Pacts. Or rather, they aren't enforceable. Soulless humans, Beasts, and other Demons are exempt. Apparently, Vampires, Werewolves, etc. have something equivalent enough to work, though.

If you are into cat forms, may I interest you in a bit of homebrew?
        The homebrew is indeed interesting, but I was under the impression that animals had souls? Further, judging from the situation for Miss Thermal from Night Horrors: Enemy Action, the sticking point was that the avians and cryptids Miss Thermal wanted to pact had no language for her to work off of. That is what this interlock addresses.

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post

The homebrew is indeed interesting, but I was under the impression that animals had souls? Further, judging from the situation for Miss Thermal from Night Horrors: Enemy Action, the sticking point was that the avians and cryptids Miss Thermal wanted to pact had no language for her to work off of. That is what this interlock addresses.
          Animals still might? Or something equivalent enough to work with? It might depend on the ST and setting. I'm just pointing it out as a possible concern.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
          X