Tetragrammatica - 4,004 Names For The Machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home (an actual tetragrammaton)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Infrastructure.

Rule #2: Never let the game-mechanics get in the way of a good story.

Comment

The Boss
      Mechanus Mundi
      Dad
      Mom
      Vaterland
      Eretz Ha'Avot

The Spheres
      Headquarters
      Agent 1.0
      The Bureau
      The Puzzle Palace

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Infrastructure.

Rule #2: Never let the game-mechanics get in the way of a good story.

Comment

HAL
        Yggdrasil

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Mechanism
          Control
          RISE
          the Other Side
          Tick-Tock
          the Matrix

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

The Chairman

Comment

Originally posted by DesolateDolly View Post
              Fixed that for you.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                Fixed that for you.
                You sir, you win some internets

Comment

Babel
                  Shattered Ladder
                  Context

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

The Key and the Gate
                    The Nuclear Sultan
                    The Gibbering Idiot Daemon at the Center of the Universe
                    The Outer Darkness
                    The Enemy of Man
                    Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                    The old Technocrat in me makes me want to call it Control, while one of my PCs simply refers to it as "our former employer." Another sees himself as a Christian angel, which makes the Machine a "false divine," "flawed demiurge," and/or "blasphemous idol."
                    Adding on to this:
                    Prince of Lies
                    Lord of the Flies
                    The First and Fallen
                    Lucifer Morningstar

Comment

Zero Point
                      SimUniverse
                      The Celestial Clockmaker
                      demi.rge
                      Dreaming Machine
                      Last edited by SirPants; 07-23-2014, 01:01 AM.

Comment

One thing about God-Machine naming conventions that I feel must be held is that, regardless of what you think of the Machine, it must wear the face of God. Not that it be God, but it must be clothed in that terminology. Not to dispugn Zeal's names(it just got me thinking it), but the God-Machine is not an open terrible thing. The consideration of it must be masked. The God-Machine is neither God nor the Devil, at least in fullness. It is a structure that resembles closely what God is-with cracks. The angel is convincing, until you see the second showing where it moves exactly the same-the God-Machine is that moment when you realize that Disney did not bring Abe Lincoln back to life, they simply made an unthinking machine that repeats lines without thought or question that looks like him. The God Machine is holy commandment without spirit, sacred ordinance without a covenant, and revered scripture without insight. The God-Machine promises apostles without testimony, a plan of salvation without emotion, and a heaven lit not by fire but sterile hospital lights.

Openly calling it the Devil, while fine for some, misses the point.

People who live like machines will only see God.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Yeah I was hesitant to ruin people's fun, but do remember also, folks, that these are supposed to be oblique names - running "the God-Machine" through a thesaurus or tossing out names that would neither fit in with the corebook's matter-of-fact terms nor at least not look out of place in comic-shop discussion or a WoW board misses the point; the Unchained aren't liable to bust out flowery-mouthful titles for the thing they're trying to avoid drawing the attention of.

I mean, if you're infiltrating a cult, that's a different matter, but let's give some consideration to tone, shall we? A little more esoteric or mundane, a little less crass — I could see a Sacred Order of the Ascendant Crane, for instance, but references to less archetypal technology are probably a good indicator that you've wandered into the absurd.
                          Last edited by Satchel; 07-23-2014, 02:13 AM.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

A player of mine once called Angels "The in-Laws" the Machine "My Ex", and the Fall became "Vacation". So, She'd say something like "Nothing ruins a good vacation like running into the In-Laws" or "You'll never guess who asked me on a date; my crazy Ex."

Comment

Now to be fair, there's a lot of room for sardonic naming. And it's worth remembering that some G-M cultists know more than others, so some of these terms fit with them.

Comment

The Organ Grinder
                                The Hand at the Wheel
                                Friend Computer
                                The Propaganda Machine
                                HaShem
                                Sator Arepo (who tenet opera rotas, of course)
                                The Toymaker

Currently playing at Fabula Rasa in the Cold Equations venue; planning an Obrimos for Fallen London.
                                I can also be found at http://darkersolstice.tumblr.com

Comment

Working...
                                X