Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demon Translation Guide

Hi,

I've noticed of late that the Monday Morning blog has been talking about the Translation Guide being in development/writing/etc. now.

It's the book I am most looking forward to seeing, are there any hints of the direction your taking or general ethos or big design decisions you've already made you can share?

Will you be trying to merge Lores into something that uses Embeds/Exploits or rewriting the Lores to work better in an nWoD environment? Will you be doing a direct 'literal' translation of some of the powers available or will you be doing some of the (much needed!) errataing and tweaking that the creaky old D:tF needed?

I'd say that it's best not to get your hopes up, but then I'd be a hypocrite.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Rose has already answered one aspect of your question — Lores aren't being converted into Embeds or Exploits, but are being translated as distinct power trees of their own. I'm interested to see how it turns out too, although the translation guides have been kind of a letdown for me each time so far. But there's always a first time.

Comment

I wouldn’t hold my breath for the DTG being an update to DtF; it’s most likely to limit itself to translating DtD material into terms compatible with DtF and vice versa. It is, after all, a Translation Guide. That said, porting elements of DtF into nWoD has some interesting possibilities: if the God-Machine is, in effect, the Demiurge of Gnosticism, then the God of DtF could be adapted for use as Gnosticism’s Creator.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
          Rose has already answered one aspect of your question — Lores aren't being converted into Embeds or Exploits, but are being translated as distinct power trees of their own. I'm interested to see how it turns out too, although the translation guides have been kind of a letdown for me each time so far. But there's always a first time.
          Alongside That, Torment isn't a power or morality stat, but a third unique stat that you can use right alongside Cover and Primum.

I am all teh excites for this.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
          Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
            Alongside That, Torment isn't a power or morality stat, but a third unique stat that you can use right alongside Cover and Primum.

Oh?

So you could merge Cover with a D:tF style Demon?

I appreciate some of the concepts of D:tD in an intellectual sense and would happily merge them into a D:tF aesthetic game.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
              I would hope not to feel that same way on account of fear of disappointment, but I kind of DO feel the same way. The BIGGEST reason for that feeling is because of how much I learned about Vampire: the Masquerade (a game I'd played for decades) by reading the Vampire Translation Guide's treatment of Clans, Disciplines, etc. in light of them appearing in Vampire: the Requiem. Same goes for Mage Translation Guide. I know the 'classic' Demon game as well as I know Mage: the Ascension, and I'm sure that the Demon book shall only serve to increase how much I know...

Actually, more to the point, the translation books have given me ideas about how either the classic or current World of Darkness games they covered can be enhanced, made more mysterious, chopped and rebuilt. I look forward to seeing how both version of Demon can EVEN be made scarier!

B.I.G. Bird spreads the word: Anybody with a heart votes love

Comment

Originally posted by Phaolan View Post
                I would hope not to feel that same way on account of fear of disappointment, but I kind of DO feel the same way. The BIGGEST reason for that feeling is because of how much I learned about Vampire: the Masquerade (a game I'd played for decades) by reading the Vampire Translation Guide's treatment of Clans, Disciplines, etc. in light of them appearing in Vampire: the Requiem. Same goes for Mage Translation Guide. I know the 'classic' Demon game as well as I know Mage: the Ascension, and I'm sure that the Demon book shall only serve to increase how much I know...

Actually, more to the point, the translation books have given me ideas about how either the classic or current World of Darkness games they covered can be enhanced, made more mysterious, chopped and rebuilt. I look forward to seeing how both version of Demon can EVEN be made scarier!
                One of the coolest things about the Translation Guide series is how it focuses the core concepts the game lines. I "get" Ascension a lot more clearly because of the Mage Translation Guide.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                Podcast: The Breakup

Comment

One thing that would interest me there would be if the august date is doable or not.

Aside from that from the things mentioned so far it sounds way more smooth than the other translationguides to use (and that with the 2 demon rules having WAY less to do with each other than vampires rules or mages rules)

Comment

I’m curious as to whether the Demon Translation Guide will say anything about Inferno.

Comment

why should it? the translation guide is only about converting demons from owod to nwod and vice versa. at max the storyteller guide or something else could be mentioning inferno from what I see (but even that is questionable as a possible conneciton was mentioned in the core but inferno is still a completely different book)

Comment

Why should it? Because there are elements of Inferno that dovetail quite nicely with Demon: the Fallen. In particular, the Possessed from that book are close matches for the Fallen, and might be better recepticles for ports of Fallen’s Lores, Houses, etc. than the Unchained are. There might even be some stuff from Inferno that could be ported into Demon: the Fallen.

That’s why.

Comment

I'm actually looking forward to the translation guide, so I can finally try out this idea I've had. Basically, I want to try converting the Great Houses from d20's Infernum into a game of infernal politics, one where the threat of Angels is constantly hanging like a sword of Damocles as the archfiends try to gain sovereignty over their fellow demons.

nWoD Warhammer Fantasy RPG,
                          WoD Wraith: The Oblivion
                          and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

Originally posted by MrParaduo View Post
                            I'm actually looking forward to the translation guide, so I can finally try out this idea I've had. Basically, I want to try converting the Great Houses from d20's Infernum into a game of infernal politics, one where the threat of Angels is constantly hanging like a sword of Damocles as the archfiends try to gain sovereignty over their fellow demons.
                            I have one player in my game waiting for it sitting on needles. We are using the idea that the angels and demons were originally like those in owod......then when the error was seen that angels are fallable the GM was created (or maybe it IS god even that was never fully decided) and mechanical insteadof "biological" angels were created as machines are not as fallible as biological things (possibly a few angelic cousins of the malefactors and devils doing this). but still need rules there or at least enough info to see if the idea can work with the translation guide or not^^

Comment

Hmmm question is if it is still in the making or not. 2 Monday posts without a mention of the translation guide. And the status update of rose also didn't mention the translation guide at all. ( http://theonyxpath.com/demon-the-descent-updates/ )

Comment

Working...
                              X