Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demon: Night Train Detective Agency (Actual Play)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you very much, Baroness; just let me know if any of the questions are too prying. As I said, I hate asking awkward questions, and I can hardky ask you to reveal all your Storytelling secrets.

Did you have a list of premade infrastructure the players could come across if they were lucky/unlucky enough? Or was that more infrastructure that developed over time to fit certain narrative needs/whims?

What sorts of inspirations did you have for the interlocks the players had? Did you ever run into the problem my ST has had, where ideas for interlock abiities were already covered by existing embeds/exploits?

Last question (went past 'a few' already, sorry!); when Killroy entered the game, he had two Covers, one of Billy Mack and one of Vivian. Was the Vivian cover paid for with merit points, or done as a normal Soul Pact roll (a die roll with Killroy's Primum rating as the minimum value)? I'm presuming that Killroy was made with the optional rule of half the starting merit points in favor of a second dot of Primum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
      Thank you very much, Baroness; just let me know if any of the questions are too prying. As I said, I hate asking awkward questions, and I can hardky ask you to reveal all your Storytelling secrets.
      Appreciate it. I don't mind helping some though.

Did you have a list of premade infrastructure the players could come across if they were lucky/unlucky enough? Or was that more infrastructure that developed over time to fit certain narrative needs/whims?
      Both. I had a number of premade ones, including the Works and the Diablo Dam, and Peterson Chemical. The Water Wheel and Build-a-Bear were added later.

What sorts of inspirations did you have for the interlocks the players had? Did you ever run into the problem my ST has had, where ideas for interlock abiities were already covered by existing embeds/exploits?
      Interlocks were the hardest part for me. I am not good at that sort of thing. I sort of went with themes, honestly. Speed's were all names of Films Noir, I scanned names and chose ones that I got an idea for a power from. Quietus was Blacksploitation movies. Kilroy's were from All Your Base, Fulgur were Hardy Boys titles. Then I filled them out best I could. I showed the players (outside the one whose power it was) the list and got their feedback too. And I absolutely had that problem, especially with Marziel.

Last question (went past 'a few' already, sorry!); when Killroy entered the game, he had two Covers, one of Billy Mack and one of Vivian. Was the Vivian cover paid for with merit points, or done as a normal Soul Pact roll (a die roll with Killroy's Primum rating as the minimum value)? I'm presuming that Killroy was made with the optional rule of half the starting merit points in favor of a second dot of Primum.
      Kirlory's were bought with Merit points, and everyone started around 3 Primum, having spent points on it. They started with more from written backgrounds, pictures, and stuff like Quietus's player making the character sheets.

Hope that helps, let me know if others come up.
      Last edited by Baroness Nerak; 09-05-2017, 03:32 AM.

Onyx Path Moderator
      Forum Rules
      This is my mod voice. This is my goth voice.
      [Geist: Balance of Shadows ][ Vampire: The Conspiracy of Hrad Černá Hora ][ Scion: Bohemian Front][Changeling: Malibu Dream House] [Demon: Night Train Detective Agency] [WoD: The Golden Eagle]

Comment

• Originally posted by Baroness Nerak View Post
        Both. I had a number of premade ones, including the Works and the Diablo Dam, and Peterson Chemical. The Water Wheel and Build-a-Bear were added later.
        I only realized after I'd read your reply that, after having run the game for a good number of weeks, you'd have naturally gotten inspiration for new Infrastructure. It'd make sense for it to be added later, too, given the God-Machine is always making new Infrastructure. Still, good to know.

Originally posted by Baroness Nerak View Post
        Interlocks were the hardest part for me. I am not good at that sort of thing. I sort of went with themes, honestly. Speed's were all names of Films Noir, I scanned names and chose ones that I got an idea for a power from. Quietus was Blacksploitation movies. Kilroy's were from All Your Base, Fulgur were Hardy Boys titles. Then I filled them out best I could. I showed the players (outside the one whose power it was) the list and got their feedback too. And I absolutely had that problem, especially with Marziel.
        Interesting method there. Funny enough, names are the hardest part for me when it comes to powers. Making them is less of a difficulty, which is probably why I enjoy the gadget system as much as I do, though making completely new ones is hardly an easy task. My ST has circumvented the issue somewhat by looking to other gamelines and borrowing powers that work for the character in question, if with a bit of tweaking.

Originally posted by Baroness Nerak View Post
        Kirlory's were bought with Merit points, and everyone started around 3 Primum, having spent points on it. They started with more from written backgrounds, pictures, and stuff like Quietus's player making the character sheets.
        I have to admit, that came as a pretty big surprise to me. I'd presumed that everyone (barring Kilroy for the aforementioned reason) had started at Primum 1, and had gone up to the eventual Primum 6 via interlocks and buying Primum. That everyone had the prerequisite experience dots to buy Primum that high at the start is...well, as I said, surprising, even if everyone simply halved their starting merit dots and started with 5 extra.

Is getting extra experiences for doing that sort of stuff beforehand typical for your games, Baroness? I can't say it's a bad motivation to get those kinds of things going (though in my experience, pictures tend to be expected rather than rewarded for these games).

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
          Interesting method there. Funny enough, names are the hardest part for me when it comes to powers. Making them is less of a difficulty, which is probably why I enjoy the gadget system as much as I do, though making completely new ones is hardly an easy task. My ST has circumvented the issue somewhat by looking to other gamelines and borrowing powers that work for the character in question, if with a bit of tweaking.
          Which is probably a good plan. It's certainly rough.

I have to admit, that came as a pretty big surprise to me. I'd presumed that everyone (barring Kilroy for the aforementioned reason) had started at Primum 1, and had gone up to the eventual Primum 6 via interlocks and buying Primum. That everyone had the prerequisite experience dots to buy Primum that high at the start is...well, as I said, surprising, even if everyone simply halved their starting merit dots and started with 5 extra.

Is getting extra experiences for doing that sort of stuff beforehand typical for your games, Baroness? I can't say it's a bad motivation to get those kinds of things going (though in my experience, pictures tend to be expected rather than rewarded for these games).
          My longstanding system is 2 points for a picture, and up to 5 points for a up to a 3 page background (2/2/1). I usually give out up to 3 for out of game work; Every game in recent history has had custom sheets, with character portraits and names and such hardwired in. We have ~3 players in the extended group who are pretty good at this (one is a graphic designer) and it really helps to have high quality very official looking personalized sheets. Each demon sheet has a backdrop of Seattle at night behind the stats, for example. Other sheets vary...Malibu Dream House has seasonal or time-of-day scenes to match the PCs court, while Golden Eagle has boarders and fonts that vary with the critter type and Balance of Shadows is a back background with foggy ghostly white which is gorgeous. We also have group portrait sheets made which go in the middle of the table (Golden Eagle and Malibu Dream House have good ones, but the one from Balance of Shadows and Night Train are gorgeous, and the one for the new Shadows of the Ravenscrofts game is very, very nice) that also involve a lot of digital manipulation.

Truthfully? I have not had a PC without a picture in one of my games since maybe 06? And I remember because it was uncommon and weird then. Pics have been standard since around the turn of the century. Hell, most/all major NPCs have had pictures for about a decade.

Onyx Path Moderator
          Forum Rules
          [Geist: Balance of Shadows ][ Vampire: The Conspiracy of Hrad Černá Hora ][ Scion: Bohemian Front][Changeling: Malibu Dream House] [Demon: Night Train Detective Agency] [WoD: The Golden Eagle]

Comment

• Originally posted by Baroness Nerak View Post
            My longstanding system is 2 points for a picture, and up to 5 points for a up to a 3 page background (2/2/1). I usually give out up to 3 for out of game work; Every game in recent history has had custom sheets, with character portraits and names and such hardwired in. We have ~3 players in the extended group who are pretty good at this (one is a graphic designer) and it really helps to have high quality very official looking personalized sheets. Each demon sheet has a backdrop of Seattle at night behind the stats, for example. Other sheets vary...Malibu Dream House has seasonal or time-of-day scenes to match the PCs court, while Golden Eagle has boarders and fonts that vary with the critter type and Balance of Shadows is a back background with foggy ghostly white which is gorgeous. We also have group portrait sheets made which go in the middle of the table (Golden Eagle and Malibu Dream House have good ones, but the one from Balance of Shadows and Night Train are gorgeous, and the one for the new Shadows of the Ravenscrofts game is very, very nice) that also involve a lot of digital manipulation.

Truthfully? I have not had a PC without a picture in one of my games since maybe 06? And I remember because it was uncommon and weird then. Pics have been standard since around the turn of the century. Hell, most/all major NPCs have had pictures for about a decade.
            I have to admit, that is a pretty strong motivation to provide for the game artistically. I can remember the feeling when someone had drawn a character of either a computer or tabletop game I was in - a personalized character sheet would very much be great for an ongoing game, even if it was stylized from the base sheet. It's weirdly satisfying to know that such creativity wasn't just limited to the Changeling game. Congrats on having such talented people playing with you Baroness.

In spite of it not being my strong suit, I am curious about doing something like that for my characters, something that is very...them, game-experiences or none. I wonder where I could start on learning that kind of process, not just for the backgrounds themselves but for the sheet to be interactive...probably should start with one of the Off-Topic threads.

On the subject of artwork, it seems that Photobucket has decided against sharing the images posted and linked in most of the threads, or at least it seems to be excluding them from me.

Comment

• I am very fortunate to have my players. Honestly I would have moved somewhere a bit more queer friendly by now if I did not have such wonderful players and close friends. They are great, and we see all sots of wonderful talents.

May be a good thing to ask. One of my players of course got a degree in graphic design. The other two are mostly self-taught, though one of those two is also a great artist so picked it up quicker than we mere mortals.

And finally crap! Thanks for telling me. Can you suggest a better hosting service?

Onyx Path Moderator
              Forum Rules

Comment

• I've been using Imgur for my image hosting - it can be a bit finicky, but it allows for multiple galleries, private or otherwise, and you can set a description as well as a title for the images (though again, the title aspect is finicky). A friend of mine recommended Flickr and Tinypic as well.

Comment

• Thanks I will look into it.

Onyx Path Moderator
                  Forum Rules

Comment

Working...
                  X