Antagonists- the Grigori

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antagonists- the Grigori

They had many names. The Watchers. The Irym. The Second Children. The Asura. They mostly refer to themselves as the Grigori, although even that isn't set in stone. Many of them don't even use a name to describe what they are- for it would mean that they accept themselves on some degree, and that would be something that defies their very nature. They are creatures of self hate and loath, who curse their own existence- they are mistakes, created by a failed project of God, and the only reason they don't kill themselves is out of hope that one day, they could spit in the eyes of their creator just as they watch it fall forever, while its perfect mechanical Heaven would burn to ash.

The history of the Grigori is mostly forgotten, for even they don't care much for preserving it. From what that can be gathered, they are an ancient race, born in a time mankind was young and the Machine still didn't installed itself to every place upon Earth. During those times, the God Machine still didn't developed the process to create its own servants, and so like every good scientist it experimented. It wanted something that could sneak into the human societies unseen and manipulate them out of the shadows, and it thought the best way to do so was making humans of its own. Yet, due to its mechanical nature, it didn't understood the necessary process for making such servants- how their brain worked? how strong was their heart? Did they needed to breath? Why? In order to answer those questions, it started using reverse engineering, creating blueprints of the human body and soul while clinically examining each and every organ. After years of research, the God Machine believed it cracked the code and turned its attention to the "lesser" inhabitants of the Earth- the beasts. Engineering flesh and bone, it forced them to evolve to horrifying forms, giving them alien intelligence and powerful abilities. After creating the first specimens, it gave them their mission and sent them to teach the humans, making them to its first angels.

That was a mistake.

While the God Machine understood how the human body worked, it forgot one thing- the soul. Without it, they lacked any higher nature of themselves, and they weren't bound by loyalty to the cruel God who gave them such a painful existence. Some devoured the helpless humans, becoming hidden terrors of the night, Others gathered great cults around themselves, teaching mankind hidden secrets to make themselves kings and warlords. Few even mated with the early humans, spawning whole species of monsters to serve their will. None has followed its mission.

Seeing its former project as a failure, the God Machine has destroyed the Infrastructures meant to birth those monsters and started a new one- this time, using its knowledge about humanity in order to make a new set of servants- this time, using mechanical gears and installing few programs meant to maintain their loyalty considering their lack of soul. After creating its new and improved angels, he sent them upon the communities created by the Second Children and destroyed them all.

Well, almost.

Some has escaped. While it was years ago and they should have been dead up until now, they learned that thanks to their biological nature they could procreate, either with each other or with both beasts and man. Some of those who were born were Cryptids, but from time to time a real Grigori was born. While it is widely believed that the most of the original Watchers has died out, some whisper that a few are still alive- especially the greatest among their kin. Samayaza, the Living Devil.

While one could believe that those monsters could be potential allies for a lonely Demon, that way of thinking ended up with the Demon getting killed more then once. The Grigori hate anything which was spawned from the Machine, and they don't make differences between and Angel which swerves the Machine and one which doesn't. While they sometimes do work with Demons, they usually end up betraying them after they have reached their common goal. The Machine must Fall- even those parts who are already Fallen.

Mechanics

By their most basic aspects of existence, the Grigori function identically to Cryptids unless noted otherwise.

Intelligence: unlike normal Cryptids, the Grigori treat their Intelligence score like a regular human being. Their simple minds have been modified by the Machine long ago to fit their mission.

Rank: The Grigori use Rank like Angels instead of Cryptids. They may have Adaptions, but they can Use Essence instead of Willpower to power them. Unlike Angels, they don't have Numina. Instead, they have an equal number of Demonic Form powers. Also, from Rank 3 and above they suffer one level of Lethal damage per Rank for every week they aren't in Cover as long as they are in the material world. Moving to another realm, or even moving into a Twilight state, would prevent that damage, although without Manifestations it may be a bit hard task to accomplish. They gain 1 Rank per 10 years automatically, although some may gain it faster thanks to mystical events or the consumption of powerful angels and demons.

Cover: like demons, the Grigori can make Pacts and take Covers. They treat their Rank as their Primum Score for determine the maximal number of Covers they can have and the number of Glitches they suffer from, which also usually take a more organic form (like a degrading skin or animal eyes). Yet, they hold over their fake identity is weaker- they can't Go Loud nor do they use their Cover as a resistance trait. They also can't Spoof, enjoying instead their Camera Shy ability as a regular Cryptid. In addition, wearing a Cover doesn't feel natural for them, and their body is degrading it rapidly- for every 11- Rank days they are in cover they must roll for Compromise. For that reason, they more powerful Watchers are eager for making as many Pacts as possible, for as long as they are in Cover they can stay in the material world regardless of their Rank. They can not use Angel Jacking, lacking direct access to the God Machine. A Second Children may gain a Cover also by eating an angel or demon while they are using it.

Soulless: the Grigori lack soul, and as such can't be targeted by Soul Pacts or similar powers. They also use their Virtue and Vice just like a Soulless creature.
    Last edited by LostLight; 03-13-2015, 12:26 PM.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Setting side that the Guardians are the Watcher Angels, and demons, as a whole, are the Asura versus the God Machine angels being the deva, I'm not really sure what purpose these serve. At first blush, they sound like just Stigmatics with a few curious bits, or a demon cult with a thing for taking animal forms, maybe as a specific Interlock.

I'm hard pressed to see what purpose they serve in the game. Obviously, they're antagonists of some kind. But how do they figure into the technostic espionage angle? Do they sense aether and hunt down demons and angels together? How do they find demons when the Unchained just spoof?

What happens when a Messenger gets to work with their Embeds and Exploits? Is there some reason that these hunt demons and angels other than some cultural quirk? Some genetic imperative? Because it seems to me that its easy enough to manipulate them into actually being your friend. Demons are not nice beings.

Comment

I think they are cool. They remind me about the Second Children from The Pain Prophet story in the original WoD book. So they seem to fill a cosmological, and ancient side to the story, exploring the ancient nature as Demons, more than the Unchained's spy-like nature. So I think it should be judged in that light. As for what purpose? Antagonists, and perhaps keepers of ancient lore about the Ancients, and how the God-Machine's beginnings were.

My Homebrew
      Star Wars d10
      The Fallen for Demon: the Descent
      Requiem for a Masquerade: VtR 2e Cainite Conversion (Vampira Roma)

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
        Setting side that the Guardians are the Watcher Angels, and demons, as a whole, are the Asura versus the God Machine angels being the deva, I'm not really sure what purpose these serve. At first blush, they sound like just Stigmatics with a few curious bits, or a demon cult with a thing for taking animal forms, maybe as a specific Interlock.

I'm hard pressed to see what purpose they serve in the game. Obviously, they're antagonists of some kind. But how do they figure into the technostic espionage angle? Do they sense aether and hunt down demons and angels together? How do they find demons when the Unchained just spoof?

What happens when a Messenger gets to work with their Embeds and Exploits? Is there some reason that these hunt demons and angels other than some cultural quirk? Some genetic imperative? Because it seems to me that its easy enough to manipulate them into actually being your friend. Demons are not nice beings.
        Exactly what Dreaminggod said. They are based both on the Grigori story (hence why they are called "Watchers") and the Pain Prophet's Testament. They are meant to show the early experiments of the God Machine and that it can fail- horribly, in their case. As Cryptid, they do have the Aether Sense ability, which helps them sniffing out Unchaind and Angels. They also hold ancient knowledge and secrets they learned (again, look at the Pain Prophet's story. They are meant to be the demon who helped making the Atomic Bomb). And why would they betray demons... you noticed that eating them is the fastest way to get a new Cover, right?

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Well, not saying they aren't good, I just don't see how they would be encountered by demons in a way that makes them stand out, I guess. Like, I'm trying to picture how to use them in a story and not seeing it. How would they set up? Demons already ahve troube encountering each other. How would these find demons?

I'm not trying to be critical here or anything. I really don't get them, and I guess I'm kinda asking for clarification. I really don't get them.

Edit - changed are to aren't in that first sentence.
          Last edited by MCN; 03-14-2015, 12:04 PM.

Comment

"they are like us...but not."
            "nothing like angels...."
            "what are these things?"

Comment

Working...
            X