Homebrew Demonic Form Abilities!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Demon the Descent, page 196
    Modifications are small subroutines that affect the demon’s ability to perform a task, such as a bonus to a roll with an Attribute or a Skill bonus.
    Moses's Tounge

Harkening back to tales of Biblical times before the Tower of Babylon and Expulsion from Eden, animals and Man spoke and played and lived as one. Indeed, Man is but one kind of animal, and vocal language is not a characteristic unique to Man. Updating for the modern times, this Modification is placed into Angels whose missions require them to converse with animals. Demons who retain or develop this Modification find it useful for information gathering, gathering of servants and allies more trustworthy than humans, and setting up surprises for beings who don't consider the animal kingdom a threat.

This Modification only allows conversing with animals, it does not grant any supernatural influence over them. However, utilizing Social Maneuvering (The God-Machine Chronicle, page 188) against animals is a simpler prospect than against humans. Animals in general have no Virtues or Vices to get involved, and their Aspirations are highly simplistic (typically "Protect my master", "Defend my nest", or "Acquire a mate"). Soft leverage can be as simple as a hunk of meat, rather than a Resources 3 wad of cash. Rolls are made with either Presence or Manipulation plus Animal Ken.

Keep in mind that only medial animals have the intelligence individually to converse. Base creatures, such as insects, would need to be operating as a hive to be intelligent enough to converse. Generally, if it has Stats, it is able to be conversed with this Modification.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Infrastructure.

Rule #2: Never let the game-mechanics get in the way of a good story.

Comment

Very Devourer, that last power. I like it! Reading about it and thinking about the good old Demon: The Fallen, i landed in another angel character, embodied by the Neberu. Have you though, for instance, in translations of powers like Interconnections (Fate •) or The Sybil’s Sight (Fate •) (speaking about Modifications) or even more impressive feats like Divination (Time •••)? This last, i'd have it like a Process, given its potential power.

There's something about Fate/Time powers and Perception/Abjuration powers that fit Angels (and Demons) so good.

Userhat Aegpts Vlrs. Coren "Ojos de Fuego". Mithrael. Menehet.

Comment

I would love a "cockpit" Demonic Form power, allowing a "pilot" to climb in and ride the Demon around, maybe having some kind psychic merge going on that makes them even more powerful (assorted potential mental/physical/spiritual consequences for the pilot mandatory).

And with Terrible Avatar you could pilot yourself! Imagine the possibilities!
        Last edited by Geckopirateship; 07-15-2016, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
          I would love a "cockpit" Demonic Form power, allowing a "pilot" to climb in and ride the Demon around, maybe having some kind psychic merge going on that makes them even more powerful (assorted potential mental/physical/spiritual consequences for the pilot mandatory).

And with Terrible Avatar you could pilot yourself! Imagine the possibilities!
          Demon Car Exploit on a Mech.

Or, I devised a Lambda that had Demon Car and Merge to create demonic Voltron.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Demon Car Exploit on a Mech.

Or, I devised a Lambda that had Demon Car and Merge to create demonic Voltron.
            That second idea is awesome. The problem with the first is that it requires that mecha exist and are available to the characters.

The idea of a "cockpit" Technology really intrigues me because of all the places you could go with it. Have a Stigmatic or another supernatural being pilot you and share your power, make sure lots of wires and LCL are involved. And in a dark eras game, before cars even existed, you can blow some medieval wizard's mind by turning into a giant brass golem and offering him a ride. Not sure how it would work with Demon Car, other than it would be awesome. Demon Car requires that the Demon be driving, and I'm not sure if it lets you fully turn the car into a mech. Though, say a Demon used it and then used a power to possess the car...

In terms of other powers, I think we sorely need a Propulsion that turns the demon into electricity or even data, letting you travel by zooming around on power lines or emailing yourself to somewhere else. Speaking of, Demon needs an equivalent to the Digital Web or the Grid, though I do like the idea that to the GM, reality itself is a virtual world.

Comment

That second idea is awesome. The problem with the first is that it requires that mecha exist and are available to the characters.
              But Mecha do exist now. They aren't very elegant, but that doesn't really matter much with Demon Car.

The idea of a "cockpit" Technology really intrigues me because of all the places you could go with it. Have a Stigmatic or another supernatural being pilot you and share your power, make sure lots of wires and LCL are involved. And in a dark eras game, before cars even existed, you can blow some medieval wizard's mind by turning into a giant brass golem and offering him a ride. Not sure how it would work with Demon Car, other than it would be awesome. Demon Car requires that the Demon be driving, and I'm not sure if it lets you fully turn the car into a mech. Though, say a Demon used it and then used a power to possess the car...
              Demon Horse existed before Demon Car, I believe. There a storage Form ability, I think. In the Demon's chest. Otherwise, Sleeve Integrator give you the merge thing. If you want the human to drive (for whatever reason), you could give them Usurp Control.

In terms of other powers, I think we sorely need a Propulsion that turns the demon into electricity or even data, letting you travel by zooming around on power lines or emailing yourself to somewhere else. Speaking of, Demon needs an equivalent to the Digital Web or the Grid, though I do like the idea that to the GM, reality itself is a virtual world.
              There's the Data-Form Process already.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Ah, that's the problem. I was looking under Propulsion. But an electrical form Propulsion could still work as an alternative.

I'm still going to be working on the Cockpit idea, since I'd like to be its own thing instead of a refluffing of disparate other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                X