Clarification: Ephemeral cover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification: Ephemeral cover

After reading over the exploit I have a few questions.

1- Ok so I understand that your highest pow, fin and res trait becomes your effective trait for determining rank but do you really use this established Power, Finesse or Resistance trait in rolls made while in this ephemeral cover? Even embeds and exploits?

2- If you chose to build a spirit can you elect to be size 5 as usual or would your size be tied to your rank?

3a- For the manifestations you gain access to I assume all costs are Essence = aether?

3b- For some manifestations a certain condition is required that is achieved through an influence. Now is this hand waved or are you limited to a certain degree of what you could do without influences?

4- If you chose to create a spirit cover would you have to worry about being pushed from the material into the shadow?

5- On the other hand if you chose to build a ghostly cover would you have to worry about an anchor at all? ( I assume no)

6- Does the exploit take 1 corpus no matter the damage and 2 on an exceptional success or corpus equal to successes.

7- As long as there is no warding or prevention in place you as a spirit or ghost in twilight can move through walls or obstructions unimpeded?

Planning to have my demon character build a mechanical snake spirit as a cover and feel it'd be best to find these answers out ahead of time.

1. Yep. Welcome to one of the peripheral attractions of the power.

2. Your demonic form registers as a spirit of the appropriate Rank and that Size note is a guideline in the absence of certainty about spirits of abstract or enormous things.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
      After reading over the exploit I have a few questions.

1- Ok so I understand that your highest pow, fin and res trait becomes your effective trait for determining rank but do you really use this established Power, Finesse or Resistance trait in rolls made while in this ephemeral cover? Even embeds and exploits?
      Correct.

2- If you chose to build a spirit can you elect to be size 5 as usual or would your size be tied to your rank?
      Whatever is appropriate for your Cover. This is no different than a Cover as someone with the Giant merit having size 6, and someone smaller being size 4 for another Cover. Rank has nothing to do with size in spirits, so it won't for a demon.

3a- For the manifestations you gain access to I assume all costs are Essence = aether?
      A reasonable assumption, since you retain your aether pool and don't use essence.

3b- For some manifestations a certain condition is required that is achieved through an influence. Now is this hand waved or are you limited to a certain degree of what you could do without influences?
      You are wearing a Cover. Being a ghost is nothing more than a mask that the demon wears and not his true nature, so no, I don't think they're bound by the same Conditions that actual ephemeral beings are. However, that would absolutely qualify as a compromise, since you're acting grossly out of character for an ephemeral being.

That said, if you had Show of Power, I'd say you could (and should) use Influences to effectively mimic the Condition creation process.

4- If you chose to create a spirit cover would you have to worry about being pushed from the material into the shadow?
      Maybe? This is crossover related, and with everything crossover related, I put it entirely on the ST to arbitrate. Personally, I would say no, because again, just a quantum-based mask, not a real spirit. I wouldn't say that higher-Ranked ephemeral beings can agg-damage you either automatically.

5- On the other hand if you chose to build a ghostly cover would you have to worry about an anchor at all? ( I assume no)
      IMHO, it should be part of your Cover, and suffer Compromises for not using the anchor rules. You can not worry about them, but at a cost.

6- Does the exploit take 1 corpus no matter the damage and 2 on an exceptional success or corpus equal to successes.
      It seems successes. Exceptional Success says "No further effect beyond the greater amount of stolen Corpus." That's consistent with other powers that rely on number of successes.

7- As long as there is no warding or prevention in place you as a spirit or ghost in twilight can move through walls or obstructions unimpeded?
      So long as the appropriate ghost/spirit can. The rules for existing in Twilight are weird, since they can walk on physical floors, other times fall through them. Ask your ST how they want to handle it, since they'll interpret the rules differently.

Planning to have my demon character build a mechanical snake spirit as a cover and feel it'd be best to find these answers out ahead of time.
      Cool. Good luck and have a blast!

Comment

Ty for the feedback, just had to make sure I hadn't missed something obvious.

Show of power to mimic influences is not something I'd considered so thank you for that.

Also thanks for answering my questions as you could you both.

Comment

I have a query related to this Exploit too, and this seems like the best place to ask...

He can Manifest like a ghost or spirit of comparable Rank.

The Exploit doesn't really get into how to determine the Cover's Rank. Is it comparable to the demon's Primum, is it roughly eyeballed based off their Power/Finesse/Resistance attributes, or does it work like a patchwork Cover (ie, pick one donor for their Rank contribution) or can the demon just decided "This is a Rank 8 Spirit Cover" and then hope the Cover rating doesn't get Compromised to oblivion?
          Last edited by Zahaqiel; 08-21-2019, 12:40 PM.

The Yozis are right (and you should suffer and obey for all eternity).

Comment

Rank definitely is not proportional to Primum or other player template potency traits; Rank 6+ entities start to get into territory that transcend dot ratings. Example Rank 8 spirits include Lunathat Luna, the one who adopts the Wolf-Blooded, progenitor of all Uratha. That doesn't necessarily mean demons shouldn't be able to adopt Rank 6+ Covers, but it does mean it's not a situation you have to plan for much, because it's almost always a terrible idea. Few, if any, Unchained are nigh-omnipotent enough to convincingly mimic the gods of Shadow.

Of your list, I'd treat it closest to the patchwork Cover, in that I'd just eyeball an appropriate Rank for whatever kind of spirit your Cover is, and that Rank is probably around the same Rank as the average spirit you wove it from. Maybe a little higher if you want it to be and you wove it from lots of spirits.

Comment

That'd be why I said "and then hope the Cover rating doesn't get Compromised to oblivion". 'Cause a Rank 6 showing up in Bazra nearly decimated the Shadow and caused a massive werewolf bloodbath.

The Yozis are right (and you should suffer and obey for all eternity).

Comment

Working...
              X