Questions on President of the United States as Cover Element

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on President of the United States as Cover Element

I'm planning on running a Demon game set in D.C. The tone I'm going for will be something like House of Cards+Supernatural Conspiracy/Espionage Thriller, with all the power players of the World of Darkness fighting to control the halls of power in constant cold wars between opponents who know little about each other.

So, what would happen if a Demon (like one of my PCs) managed to somehow gain President of the United States as an aspect of their Cover through a Patch Job?
    Would all of the many, many records of the election be changed retroactively to reflect this (even with Cover 10)? Would other supernatural entities like the God-Machine notice such a monumental shift in reality?
    Even if the shift took place successfully, I would think there would be a major issue after the transition. Countless qualified parties are constantly investigating the president: journalists, intelligence services, lobbyists, other politicians, average citizens, etc. At least a few of these tens of thousands of people are bound to have a bit of Occult, so would the Cover instantly be shredded to non-existence by the sheer weight of scrutiny?
    If the Cover did collapse entirely, then who would have been the president in the time period between the swearing in and the patching in? Is there suddenly a mysterious gap in the presidency? Is reality rewritten to make it so that someone else fills the role?

I tried to write a reply to this post twice, and both times, when trying to input an em-dash, I missed a key, and with numlock off, my browser interpreted this as a sign to close the tab or navigate it elsewhere, erasing my post in progress. So, through no fault of your own, I'm just going to respond in bullet points this time.
    • Patching POTUS into your Cover is a bad, bad idea for pretty much all the reasons you mention. Be very careful buying status as a public figure, as a demon.
    • Pacts have a limit to the "range" of intimacy and immediacy within which they can alter memories and physical evidence. The limit is intentionally vague but it seems to be there so that you may have to improvise to cover your bases from scrutiny if you run into a random stranger who crossed paths with your pactee. How much of the global populace would fall within this dangerous periphery of knowing about the US President, but not knowing him or her well as a person, is a judgment call for the ST. I would wager, though, it's probably enough to be a significant problem.
    • In addition to directly endangering your newly presidential Cover, the contradictions that add up from the above are likely to attract the attention of occult figures ranging from small to large, including the God-Machine. In this particular case, enough contradictions might easily build up that non-occult figures begin to piece together what's up.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
      I tried to write a reply to this post twice, and both times, when trying to input an em-dash, I missed a key, and with numlock off, my browser interpreted this as a sign to close the tab or navigate it elsewhere, erasing my post in progress. So, through no fault of your own, I'm just going to respond in bullet points this time.
      I blame the God-Machine.

[QUOTE=Patching POTUS into your Cover is a bad, bad idea for pretty much all the reasons you mention.[/QUOTE]
      Yeah, a totally awesome bad, bad idea.

Suppose instead they somehow managed a Soulpact? I would think that would be just slightly safer, albeit still suffering from the issue of more intense constant investigative scrutiny than probably any other human being on the planet.

I was rather hoping that there would be some sort of way around it though, so that "Become POTUS" could become a valid (if megalomaniacal) Aspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by Faust Underwood View Post
        I blame the God-Machine.

Yeah, a totally awesome bad, bad idea.

Suppose instead they somehow managed a Soulpact? I would think that would be just slightly safer, albeit still suffering from the issue of more intense constant investigative scrutiny than probably any other human being on the planet.

I was rather hoping that there would be some sort of way around it though, so that "Become POTUS" could become a valid (if megalomaniacal) Aspiration.
        Honestly, they'd be best off doing it the old-fashioned way.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post
          Honestly, they'd be best off doing it the old-fashioned way.
          My vote's for this (it's one of the things the God-Machine ate twice!). You can build an entire campaign (ha ha) out of this, and while it'll still leave the character stepping lightly to avoid Cover degredation from public scrutiny, starting with some less prominent Cover and then scheming to put that identity into the White House through more conventional means won't leave the massive trail of contradictions. And it's not like demons can't still cheat the race like hell. Imagine what you could pull off campaigning for President with powers like Sermon, Rhetoric, and You Can Tell Me.

If you like crossover, now imagine how the hunter conspiracies within the US government react when they start to suspect an Extra-Normal Entity is running for head of state.

Comment

If you like crossover, now imagine how the hunter conspiracies within the US government react when they start to suspect an Extra-Normal Entity is running for head of state.
            Oh, I've got that covered.
            Task Force VALKRYIE, the Barrett Commission, and Division Six, will be well-represented in the campaign, and they'll have the God-Machine, mages, and some elder vampires lending them a guiding hand.

Comment

For some bonus excitement, certain paranormal informed agencies don't get worked up as long as the ENE in question isn't committing crimes or otherwise being a problem. Not typical player behavior to be sure, but...

"For contrary to common newspaper usage, I am not the Extra Normal Entity candidate for president. I am the Democratic Party's candidate for president, who happens also to be an Extra Normal Entity".

Comment

That would be on hell of a way to shred the Masquerade. "The president is actually a fallen machine proto-god" being disclosed to the public.

Comment

Originally posted by cmwatford View Post
                  That would be on hell of a way to shred the Masquerade. "The president is actually a fallen machine proto-god" being disclosed to the public.
                  Do you count as being born in the States if you Fall there?

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by Faust Underwood View Post
                    I think that a Soul Pact would actually work - but only if you were their Mephistophelean aide-de-camp who had been shadowing them so long that you knew all of their personal details.

Comment

Working...
                    X