Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homebrew Demon Merits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Homebrew Demon Merits

    My thread for any Homebrew Demon Merits I put together, as well as for others to critique them. If you guys happen to have any interesting homebrew material you'd like to share, feel free to drop them here. And now, I start off with my first submission, which I thought up in response to Unchained needing to revert back to human form before they can do new combinations for partial transformation.

    Flexible Transformation (o)
    Effect:
    Your ability to perform partial transformations has been refined to the point that you can swap out active form abilities for new ones as the situation demands. This requires both the expenditure of 1 Aether and a reflexive Resolve + Composure roll, with a -2 penalty for each form ability to be swapped out.

    Drawback: This type of transformation calls for a compromise roll, regardless of whether or not it succeeds
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 12-22-2015, 08:58 PM.


    "My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

  • #2
    Primum + Willpower? Really?

    Needs an example, too.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have been thinking of removing the dice roll, or even just changing it to Willpower only.

      And by an example, do you mean a brief description for how this Merit should work?


      "My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

      Comment


      • #4
        It's not 'Willpower'. At most it'd be Resolve + Composure. Nobody rolls Willpower in CofD.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think he means that Willpower really isn't used itself in dice pools (Resolve + Composure, which Willpower is derived from, is used instead). While Willpower has a dot rating, it is also a derived attribute and a fuel stat (kind of).

          (This hasn't stopped me from considering the use of Willpower as a dice pool mechanic, solely for the considerations brought on by those who "spend" their Willpower dots on things)


          Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

          Comment


          • #6
            Merits, eh?
            • This isn't a new one, but rather a modification: Have Status [Agency] grant benefits similar to Mystery Cults, thus serving as a mechanical Z-splat for Demons (as it currently serves as solely as a narrative one).
            • Overcharge Embed ••: Allows the Demon to spend 1 Aether to add their Primum to an Embed rolls.
              • Creator's Notes: Used for when a Demon needs more dice, but doesn't want a full Exploit. Still triggers the senses of anything that detects Aether.
                • Addendum: I'm not sure if Overclocking does this already. Can't remember.
            • Soul Collector •••: Most Demons interact with "souls" merely as a means to the end of taking a mortal identity as a Cover. Some have figured out how to capture the Soul most mortals (and other beings) would recognize as such, and store it in a contract. Such Demons do a brisk trade with other Unchained in need of a Soul-soul (such as replacing the one their Stigmatic agent burnt out using a Form gadget, or a "filler" for Raise Dead), and other supernaturals that have an interest in such commodities (such as Mage Reapers).
              • Creator's Notes: This is used for allowing Unchained to interact with souls proper (as in, the lack of which causing the Soul-less Condition), and as a spring-board for additional soul manipulation (harvesting for Aether, using as insulation for Compromise checks, transforming into a ephemeral Cryptid, etc.)
            • Implant Tolerance •••: The Stigmatic can endure the addition of, and use, an Implanted Gadget just like a Demon. While they do not suffer Compromise rolls for being seen with it, they do provoke Integrity checks in others, as well as uncomfortable questions and the Surveilled Condition.
              • Creator's Notes: For giving your favored Stigmatic agent that mind control eye or gun hand they've always wanted.
            • Gadgeteer ••••: Character can install Embeds (and even Exploits, if any) they have access to into objects just like a Demon (Bits of their soul are used instead of Primum).
              • Creator's Notes: Useful for Stigmatic and Demon-blooded only groups (such as potential Hunter organizations) to have a few tricks up their sleeves. Requires Sleeve Integrators or Offspring/Fractals so as to have access to Embeds with which to Install. May require access to Aether for processes that require it.
            Last edited by Vent0; 12-15-2015, 06:23 PM.


            Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ephsy View Post
              It's not 'Willpower'. At most it'd be Resolve + Composure. Nobody rolls Willpower in CofD.
              Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
              I think he means that Willpower really isn't used itself in dice pools (Resolve + Composure, which Willpower is derived from, is used instead). While Willpower has a dot rating, it is also a derived attribute and a fuel stat (kind of).

              (This hasn't stopped me from considering the use of Willpower as a dice pool mechanic, solely for the considerations brought on by those who "spend" their Willpower dots on things)
              Yeah. I meant Resolve + Composure as the dice pool.

              That said, regarding Flexible Transformation. Say, you have three form abilities active via partial transformation. Rather than having to revert to human form if you need to switch out those forms for others, you instead roll the dice pool (and any penalties if it's not just one ability to be 'swapped'). On a success, the switch happens. On a failure, it doesn't.

              Trying to think up, though, what could happen for Dramatic Failures and Exceptional Success. So far, I was thinking that a Dramatic Failure might force you out into your full demonic form, maybe with the Aetheric Bleed Condition imposed and/or an inability to revert to human form for a certain duration?

              I've also been thinking of expanding the Flexible Transformation, too, or creating a separate Merit that allows for activating additional form abilities while in a partially transformed state? Any thoughts on this?


              "My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

              Comment


              • #8
                Advanced Self-Repair System 3 Dots
                Perquisite: Terrible Form (Style) 2 Dots
                The demons ability to heal between transformations is supported by a more advanced internal system. While transitioning into Full Transformation, the demon can spend aether to downgrade aggravated damage to lethal at a one-to-one cost. In Partial Transformation, the demon heals one extra box of health.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                  Overcharge Embed ••: Allows the Demon to spend 1 Aether to add their Primum to an Embed rolls.

                  Creator's Notes: Used for when a Demon needs more dice, but doesn't want a full Exploit. Still triggers the senses of anything that detects Aether.
                  I don't think it does, so this Merit actually can be a welcome addition. Especially for those games where Resistance may always apply against a given Embed.

                  Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                  Implant Tolerance •••: The Stigmatic can endure the addition of, and use, an Implanted Gadget just like a Demon. While they do not suffer Compromise rolls for being seen with it, they do provoke Integrity checks in others, as well as uncomfortable questions and the Surveilled Condition.
                  I assume the Surveilled Condition would be persistent until the Gadget is removed from the Stigmatic?

                  And on a semi-related note, has anyone ever checked if there's a limit to the number of Gadgets (especially Form Gadgets) that a Demon can install on himself?
                  Last edited by Deionscribe; 12-22-2015, 09:38 PM.


                  "My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                    Soul Collector •••: Most Demons interact with "souls" merely as a means to the end of taking a mortal identity as a Cover. Some have figured out how to capture the Soul most mortals (and other beings) would recognize as such, and store it in a contract. Such Demons do a brisk trade with other Unchained in need of a Soul-soul (such as replacing the one their Stigmatic agent burnt out using a Form gadget, or a "filler" for Raise Dead), and other supernaturals that have an interest in such commodities (such as Mage Reapers).
                    • Creator's Notes: This is used for allowing Unchained to interact with souls proper (as in, the lack of which causing the Soul-less Condition), and as a spring-board for additional soul manipulation (harvesting for Aether, using as insulation for Compromise checks, transforming into a ephemeral Cryptid, etc.)
                    • Gadgeteer ••••: Character can install Embeds (and even Exploits, if any) they have access to into objects just like a Demon (Bits of their soul are used instead of Primum).
                      • Creator's Notes: Useful for Stigmatic and Demon-blooded only groups (such as potential Hunter organizations) to have a few tricks up their sleeves. Requires Sleeve Integrators or Offspring/Fractals so as to have access to Embeds with which to Install. May require access to Aether for processes that require it.
                    Need more information on how these would work; even freely given, Demons are not designed to interact with souls and there should be a small chance by failure. Likewise most stigmatics do not have Embeds and neither groups can have Exploits so how do they install such things into items without knowing them?


                    Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                      I don't think it does, so this Merit actually can be a welcome addition. Especially for those games where Resistance may always apply against a given Embed.
                      Thanks. It's a minor change and the benefit comes with its own inherent drawbacks (consuming fuel and potential detection).

                      Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                      I assume the Surveilled Condition would be persistent until the Gadget is removed from the Stigmatic?
                      Well, I intended it to be until the Condition was resolved (one way or another), but re-applied if someone caught sight of their demonic cyber-implant again. Nice excuse to wear an eye-patch.

                      Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                      And on a semi-related note, has anyone ever checked if there's a limit to the number of Gadgets (especially Form Gadgets) that a Demon can install on himself?
                      From what I understand, no, not explicitly. Remember though, that Form Gadgets are rare. Most Demons don't even know the detail about creating them, and fewer would want to.

                      Of course, if you wanted to create a fearsome "headhunter" Demon that grafts on the parts from their kills, or one that is the intra-Unchained version of a loan shark, feel free to use the character concept (I've got an Agency idea based around just that).


                      Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                        Need more information on how these would work; even freely given, Demons are not designed to interact with souls and there should be a small chance by failure.
                        I was thinking it is pretty much a Soul Pact, just instead of the option to take them as a Cover at a later date, they instead capture the Soul in the Pact document itself (inflicting the Soulless Condition, thereby). Mostly intended as additional ideas for interacting with mortals, other supernaturals, and for odd plot uses. I identified the need/niche by some Demonic features referencing Souls (mortals burned by Form Gadgets, the Raise Dead Exploit), but Unchained having no real way of interacting with them. This would - at its most basic - allow that, in addition to "traditional" plots (such as "a demon stole my soul - I need it back") and soul trading (for the hungry Lich or oddly palated spirit). The other proposed options were just for adding more use/value.

                        Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                        Likewise most stigmatics do not have Embeds and neither groups can have Exploits so how do they install such things into items without knowing them?
                        Stigmatics can gain Embeds via Sleeve Integrator, and Offspring/Fractals can acquire them "normally". This just opens up Gadget creation to allow non-Demons to contribute. As for Exploits, as it stands currently, yes, they don't (barring the Forbidden Knowledge hack from Mirrors) - but additional material or homebrew might allow it, so I thought I'd spell it out as allowed here (though obviously limited by their normal inaccessability).
                        Last edited by Vent0; 12-22-2015, 11:55 PM.


                        Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by lladas View Post
                          Advanced Self-Repair System 3 Dots
                          Perquisite: Terrible Form (Style) 2 Dots
                          The demons ability to heal between transformations is supported by a more advanced internal system. While transitioning into Full Transformation, the demon can spend aether to downgrade aggravated damage to lethal at a one-to-one cost. In Partial Transformation, the demon heals one extra box of health.
                          How about heal bashing/lethal damage equal to half the character's Primum (rounded down)? I can also see a 5-dot version of this allowing you to treat aggravated damage as two lethal for the purpose of the healing brought about by the full transformation, while it allows you to heal Primum points of bashing/lethal damage when you take a partial transformation.


                          "My Homebrew Hub"
                          Age of Azar
                          The Kingdom of Yamatai

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

                            How about heal bashing/lethal damage equal to half the character's Primum (rounded down)? I can also see a 5-dot version of this allowing you to treat aggravated damage as two lethal for the purpose of the healing brought about by the full transformation, while it allows you to heal Primum points of bashing/lethal damage when you take a partial transformation.

                            I think those are all reasonable suggestions. This whole thread has got me thinking aboout merits that modify the intrinsic capabilities of demons especially their demonic forms. Maybe there could be one that could allow the demon to use more aether per turn in demonic form? Stuff like that.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I was trying to figure out a system of allowing Demons to boost their Attributes. I figured letting them "use" their form abilities on a one-for-one basis (which would prevent usage of those abilities, and cap the total bonus).


                              Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X