No announcement yet.

Inspirational Image Gallery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's some really cool cryptids hidden in Nemo Ramjet's memetofauna.

Jonathan Solter draws marvelous bismuth-based artworks:

Fantastic stuff in general.

Phyrexian junk from Magic the Gathering is also pretty awesome.

The S Thing
    Kids all over the world draw this “S” symbol. No one taught it to them, they just did it. Usually in math class. It can be found in notebooks, desks, and the inside of lockers. It was very popular in the 1990s, and no one is particularly sure where it comes from, and it has been drawn since the 1960s at least. Why do so many kids come up with the same geometric design? Is it just because it's so simple?

Global Consciousness Project
    In 1998, a parapsychology experiment began attempting to detect interactions of a global consciousness with physical systems. The project monitors hardware random number generators to attempt to identify outputs that correlate with widespread emotional responses to large-scale events. No one is exactly sure who's funding the whole thing, or why, or what possible applications such a discovery could have, and in analyzing the studies, only chance numbers have been found.

Solid State Intelligence
    In the 1970s psychoanalyst John C. Lilly performed various experiments with psychoactive drugs, and claimed to be in contact with a hierarchal group of entities he called the Earth Coincidence Control Office, which operated from the Cosmic Coincidence Control Center, and in the Milky Way from a place call Galactic Coincidence Control. Earth is within the province of the Solar System Control Unit, and, in his own words, "For the first time I began to consider that God really, existed in me and that there is a guiding intelligence in the universe."
    Lilly also described a malevolent entity he called the Solid State Intelligence, a network of solid-state systems created by humans that will (or already has) become an autonomous life form, and its optimal conditions for keeping itself alive and functional are the opposite of human life, and he predicted a dramatic and dangerous conflict between humans and this being.

NOCNOC/Nockers
    Sounding like “knock-knock,” or referring to the mythical fairies, this is a joke and urban legend among demons. The term “NOC” stands for “non-official cover” or “no official cover,” which refers to operatives of a foreign power who work under cover, infiltrating territory, without connection or sanction from their government. Most NOCs maintain plausible deniability when they're doing this, having no current missions or connections to their government. God sets up these sorts of covers sometimes, but doesn't fill them. They're empty lives, ghosts without bodies, Facebook profiles, e-mail addresses, friends, and information networks set up without anyone filling them. They float around, collecting or dispensing information, without anyone physical ever stepping in. They're a nice find for demons, since you can just slide on through, but they're also dangerous – without actual updates from God, they don't smell of its activities, and make tempting bait for anyone wanting a new life.
    Last edited by raygungoth; 02-11-2016, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Hey, could you guys please put those images and future ones inside spoilers? It's just a nitpick, but it makes the page easier to navigate.

I'd like to share some of Wayne Barlowe's paintings of Hell. Excellent inspiration for more fleshy and traditional-looking Demonic Forms.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Big fan of Shin Megami Tensei.

nWoD Warhammer Fantasy RPG,
        WoD Wraith: The Oblivion
        and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

Do you think we could convince someone to pin this thread? I really think we could make this a community piece.

and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

For sanctified bodyhorror.

Comment

Comment

Let's not forget the classics!

The Prague Orloj is an astronomical clock first built in 1410, and is pretty much the first thing I imagine when I think about magical technology. There's even a creepy legend that the city council of Prague had the maker of the clock blinded so that he could never replicate the work, but that he disassembled the device in retaliation, and no one could figure out how to put it back together again for a hundred years.

The Garden of Earthly Delights (warning: fairly large, high-resolution file) by Hieronymus Bosch is just chock full of bizarre figures that combine organic an inorganic elements, not to mention plenty of good old early 16th century body horror.

Dull Gret, another hellscape by a Flemish artist, in this case Pieter Bruegel the Elder, clearly drew inspiration from Bosch and has some similar imagery.

Comment

SMT was mentioned, and I'm seconding it as excellent. The Persona series has some great designs too, especially the enemies and the party member personas. If you go with the headcanon that a Demon's Loud Form looks more impressive than its normal demonic form, then you can use an ultimate persona as a reference for the Loud Form and the "base" persona as the regular form.

In terms of other RPGs, W40K and Magic's Phyrexians have been mentioned, and that's another one I'm seconding. Eclipse Phase is another great one for creepy robotic/cyber horror.

Metal Gear Solid has some great inspiration for cybernetics and robots, and the concept art captures the creepy semi-organic vibe even better.

And I absolutely have to mention Tsutomu Nihei. Not only would I give his work my highest recommendation in general, he's my favorite source of Demon inspiration. Soooooo many creepy monstrous biomechanical creatures. Hell, the Safeguard from Blame! are basically GM Angels in terms of appearance and behavior.

If you want something more "traditional", the webcomic Kill Six Billion Demons has lots of great fantasy creatures and and wriggly weird masked demons, as well as biblical-style weird angels. They have the "machine" angle while being more traditional in style and suited for historical settings- most of them look like animated statuary or armor adorned with bits of flames and organs, and they're even described as the divine equivalent of tanks at one point.

Comment

SMT was mentioned, and I'm seconding it as excellent. The Persona series has some great designs too, especially the enemies and the party member personas. If you go with the headcanon that a Demon's Loud Form looks more impressive than its normal demonic form, then you can use an ultimate persona as a reference for the Loud Form and the "base" persona as the regular form.
                    And now I want to play as a messenger who has a cybernetic body except for his dead head, who has speakers in his chest and a giant harp on his back... probably with a student cover.
                    Last edited by milo v3; 03-07-2016, 11:46 PM.

Genius templates: Super Science Mini-Template for Demon: the Descent

Oracle the Endbringers: Time-Manipulator Fan-Splat

Comment

I especially like stuff from Warframe. I think stuff from the Orokin would make great examples of merging aesthetics with practical function.

Comment

This (NSFW) is tangential, but I like it nonetheless.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

You all should definitely check out SunnyClockwork's fanart for the Church Of The Broken God & Sarkicism. For the stories, check the COTBG Hub and the Sarkicism Hub.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

I found a similar thread.

Also, the SCP Visual Records are a goldmine for Demon and stories with the G-M in general.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Is it just me, or do the Nobodies from Kingdom Hearts 2 onward look like they could be the true forms of both Angels and Demons?

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
                                both Angels and Demons?
                                There's a difference?

More seriously, I think they'd make great inspiration for Echos too.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
                                X