Homebrew Embeds and Exploits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lladas View Post
    For the second idea I had thought of one for Psychopomp's that would be similar to a Seance or ouiji board where they perform a cultural ritual to be able to ask a ghost questions.
    Something like this?

Seance (Vocal)
    Many human cultures hold special ceremonies invoking their ancestors or spirits to come and give aid or advice. You know the underlying occult triggers that open up these connections and can momentarily trick such beings into giving some sign of their presence.
    Dice Roll: Manipulation + Persuasion [or Occult, if you prefer] vs Resistance + Rank
    Action: Instant and Contested

Dramatic Failure: You've accidentally funneled too much power into nearby Ephemerals and opened a direct connection to yourself. You have the Open Condition keyed to all nearby Ephemeral entities for the Scene.
    Failure: No Ephemeral elects to make itself known.
    Success: Treat nearby entities in Twilight as if they had the Image Manifestation, which they then use for free. Unlike a normal usage of the Manifestation, the signs cause by this Embed are very weak and only last 1 Turn. Observers must make a Reflexive Wits + Composure roll to notice such subtle phenomena, with their dice rolls capped by the number of Successes rolled on this Embed.
    Exceptional Success: You are able to establish a much stronger connection to Twilight, and nearby beings are now fully visible for the remainder of the Scene (as per a normal use of the Image Manifestation).
    Last edited by Vent0; 03-11-2016, 03:59 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Something like this?

Seance (Vocal)
      Many human cultures hold special ceremonies invoking their ancestors or spirits to come and give aid or advice. You know the underlying occult triggers that open up these connections and can momentarily trick such beings into giving some sign of their presence.
      Dice Roll: Manipulation + Persuasion vs Resistance + Rank
      Action: Reflexive and Contested

Dramatic Failure: You've accidentally funneled too much power into nearby Ephemerals and opened a direct connection to yourself. You have the Open Condition keyed to all nearby Ephemeral entities for the Scene.
      Failure: No Ephemeral elects to make itself known.
      Success: Treat nearby entities in Twilight as if they had the Image Manifestation, which they then use for free. Unlike a normal usage of the Manifestation, the signs cause by this Embed are very weak and only last 1 Turn. Observers must make a Wits + Composure roll to notice such subtle phenomena, with their dice rolls capped by the number of Successes rolled on this Embed.
      Exceptional Success: You are able to establish a much stronger connection to Twilight, and nearby beings are now fully visible for the remainder of the Scene (as per a normal use of the Image Manifestation).
      [Maybe drop the forced appearance, but allow it to combo with Marco Polo to force them to give a sign?]
      Yeah, I think that is in a really solid direction. Do you think that maybe it would be Mundane instead of Vocal just because Psychopomps traditionally worked with ghosts in their angelic incarnations? Also, perhaps the roll could be Manipulation + Occult, to better play on the demon's understanding of cultural customs and symbols that can draw ghosts? I love the Dramatic Failure and Success conditions (perhaps on a success it also draws ghost to the area?). I think for the Exceptional Success you should keep the mandatory manifestation because making it just combo with Marco Polo makes it seem more like an interlock for some cipher. I would say that maybe instead of being visible, the Exceptional Success makes each ghost cause a more significant phenomena than the normal Success such as blood dripping from walls or foggy breath. Maybe on top of that the demon would gain an awareness of how many ghosts there are and what their ranks are?

Comment

Yeah, I think that is in a really solid direction. Do you think that maybe it would be Mundane instead of Vocal just because Psychopomps traditionally worked with ghosts in their angelic incarnations? Also, perhaps the roll could be Manipulation + Occult, to better play on the demon's understanding of cultural customs and symbols that can draw ghosts? I love the Dramatic Failure and Success conditions (perhaps on a success it also draws ghost to the area?). I think for the Exceptional Success you should keep the mandatory manifestation because making it just combo with Marco Polo makes it seem more like an interlock for some cipher. I would say that maybe instead of being visible, the Exceptional Success makes each ghost cause a more significant phenomena than the normal Success such as blood dripping from walls or foggy breath. Maybe on top of that the demon would gain an awareness of how many ghosts there are and what their ranks are?
        The reason behind Vocal was, to me, that it seems more communication related (causing the ghost or spirit to appear or give a sign), as opposed to disguise or normality related. I picked Persuasion due to you trying to "sweet talk" the ephemeral into appearing. Occult could very easily be used as well. It was kind of a coin toss for me. I think combos aren't just reserved for Interlocks - this seems like a case where a follow up use of Marco Polo would work to get the beings to give themselves away. But you might be able to do that with MP anyways. <shrug>.

Bear in mind, this as written isn't limited to ghosts - it can work on Spirits too, at least. Storyteller might need to determine whether it could work on Angels as well. It exploits something inherent to the ephemeral condition, but I can also see Angels having a failsafe immunity.

Comment

Bear in mind, this as written isn't limited to ghosts - it can work on Spirits too, at least. Storyteller might need to determine whether it could work on Angels as well. It exploits something inherent to the ephemeral condition, but I can also see Angels having a failsafe immunity.
          I think that is a solid way to take it by having it effect everyone, but angels which can be spun any way a Storyteller desires. It also fills a badly needed space for demons and their interaction with ghosts.

Comment

I think that is a solid way to take it by having it effect everyone, but angels which can be spun any way a Storyteller desires. It also fills a badly needed space for demons and their interaction with ghosts.
            Agreed, though in keeping with Demon's general weakness/non-interaction with the ephemeral, the Embed is design to "suck" (IE, not be very effective vs Twilight entities, at least in regards to other Splats that can easily surpass them in this arena). Invisible Angels lurking nearby in Twilight is still a big risk. Just now you might be able to tell when they are in the room with you.

Anyone have any Embed ideas that would be ideal for making into Software Gadgets? Not all Embeds are applicable, and it might be nice to have a broad library of tools you can use off your Stockpiled smart phone.
            Last edited by Vent0; 03-11-2016, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Agreed, though in keeping with Demon's general weakness/non-interaction with the ephemeral, the Embed is design to "suck" (IE, not be very effective vs Twilight entities, at least in regards to other Splats that can easily surpass them in this arena). Invisible Angels lurking nearby in Twilight is still a big risk. Just now you might be able to tell when they are in the room with you.

Anyone have any Embed ideas that would be ideal for making into Software Gadgets? Not all Embeds are applicable, and it might be nice to have a broad library of tools you can use off your Stockpiled smart phone.
              It definitely succeeds at evoking that feel. It does seem kind of funny that Demon's are supposed to just generally be weak to the ephemeral as a whole and not just angels. That all being said, this Embed is making me think of an Exploit that could possibly allow for some greater interaction with ephemera. Maybe something called "Reap" that allows for the removal of ephemera for the benefit of the Demon?

About your second point, are you looking for already existing Embeds that can be used as software, or are you looking for the creation of Embeds that lend themselves to the creation of Software Gadgets?

Comment

It definitely succeeds at evoking that feel. It does seem kind of funny that Demon's are supposed to just generally be weak to the ephemeral as a whole and not just angels.
                Yeah, I've tried to add a few here and there (such as Ephemeral Reprogramming or Essence Burn), but don't want to go overboard. Werewolves are better for tangling with Spirits, Sin-Eaters for Ghosts (and Mages can fill in any holes). Angels would be up the Demon's alley, but the nature of their powers raises certain questions if they have too many that are good vs Angels.

That all being said, this Embed is making me think of an Exploit that could possibly allow for some greater interaction with ephemera. Maybe something called "Reap" that allows for the removal of ephemera for the benefit of the Demon?
                Like Ephemeral Cover?

About your second point, are you looking for already existing Embeds that can be used as software, or are you looking for the creation of Embeds that lend themselves to the creation of Software Gadgets?
                Either? Both? Probably makes sense to start with a list of what is there. I just remember reading through and thinking "this can't be made into software, this can't either, this might be, but how, etc.".

I have the plans for an Agency whose schtick is maintaining a library of Software Gadgets, that they sell out the usage of to elite hackers than might be useful.

Comment

Agreed. Your work on those Embeds definitely made the most sense as far as logical steps in closing the gap while not overreaching.

Ephemeral Cover, does exist and what I described wasn't too far from that. It still feels like there is a hole in Exploits for something else to assist in ephemeral interaction considering how many other tools are at their disposal for everyone else.

Great idea for an agency. I felt the same way when I read over software gadgets. One thing that I think might help will be in understanding their framework a little better. It seems that they can roughly be broken down into two different groups based on effects and desired use: 1) App like programs that can exist on a computer or other device that doesn't need to be installed into a system to create an effect. Like an app on the phone that allows you to send a form of Anarchism through texts. 2) Software/code that must be installed into a system to use the benefit. Something like a code form of Download Knowledge that can be used on a mainframe that instantly gets to the knowledge desired. I'm not sure if that helps but it is making reading through the list of embeds more clear.

Comment

Embeds that are applied as Software Gadgets:

Cacophonic
                    • Apple of Dischord. Ensnares those who read something "infected" with it. Best used as a trap.
                    • Anarchism. Affects those who read the "enhanced" media. Best used as a trap.
                    • Breakdown. Messes up those who read affected media. Great for seeding it into system logs and making the sysadmin use Medicine or Occult when trying to diagnose the problem with the network.
                    • Cause and Effect. ??? This definitely seems like it should work, though I'm not certain how exactly.
                    • Combustion. It probably could be Installed, though I doubt many would want to.
                    • Deafen. Trap maybe?
                    • Devil's Advocate. AKA Feeding the Trolls Poison.
                    • Fire Drill. Instant distraction?
                    • Left Or Right.
                    • Lucky Break.
                    • On the Mend.
                    • Password Entropy.
                    • Sabotage.
                    • Shifty Eyes.
                    • Special Someone.
                    • Victory At Any Price.
                    Instrumental
                    • Check Backdrop.
                    • Data Retrieval.
                    • Data Wipe.
                    • Download Knowledge.
                    • Efficiency.
                    • Ellipsis.
                    • Freeze Assets.
                    • Functional Identity?
                    • Fungible Knowledge.
                    • High Of Birth.
                    • Like I Built It.
                    • The Map Is Not The Territory.
                    • Miles Away. Personal Easy Listening.
                    • Momentum.
                    • Open Sesame?
                    • Read Hostility?
                    • Shift Consequences?
                    • Synthesis.
                    • Tag And Release.
                    • Tools Into Toys.
                    • Trivia.
                    • Wasted Time.
                    Mundane
                    • Authorized.
                    • Cuckoo's Egg?
                    • Don't I Know You.
                    • Earworm?
                    • Homogenous Memory.
                    • Identity Theft.
                    • Last Place You Look.
                    • Like The Movies?
                    • Lost In The Crowd.
                    • Meaningless.
                    • Mistaken Identity.
                    • Never Here.
                    • Unperson.
                    • You Can Tell Me.
                    Vocal
                    • Animal Communication.
                    • Borrowed Expertise.
                    • Common Misconception.
                    • Everybody Knows. Yay, Viral memes.
                    • Find The Leak.
                    • Freudian Slip.
                    • Heart's Desire.
                    • Imagine.
                    • The Look? Mesmerizing video, maybe?
                    • Loose Lips.
                    • Mercury Retrograde.
                    • Muse.
                    • The Only Word That Matters.
                    • Remote Link-Up?
                    • Rhetoric.
                    • Social Dynamics.
                    • Social Engineering.
                    • Strength Through Adversity.
                    • Sum Of All Fears.
                    • Tower Of Babel.
                    • Trust No One.
                    • Voice Of The Machine.
                    • Vox? Or is this redundant with decent audio software?
                    So, after listing them all out, was wrong about there not being many Software Gadget options. Also, never piss off Demons that can target your through a chat room or social media, and that Unchained make for great marketing campaign consultants.
                    Last edited by Vent0; 03-14-2016, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0
                      Cause and Effect. ??? This definitely seems like it should work, though I'm not certain how exactly.
                      Maybe a chat app that allows you to use Wits + Computers to accomplish a predetermined type of roll by sending a randomly-generated message to just the right sort of person to set off the correct chain of events?

Comment

Originally posted by ZealousChristian24 View Post
                        Maybe a chat app that allows you to use Wits + Computers to accomplish a predetermined type of roll by sending a randomly-generated message to just the right sort of person to set off the correct chain of events?
                        That has a lot of potential behind it. I eagerly await what comes out from this.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                        Age of Azar
                        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by ZealousChristian24 View Post
                          Stochastic terrorism was the first thing that came to my mind, but that might be a better one for Strength Through Adversity.

Onyx Path Freelancer and Fantasy Author

Comment

Fax (Instrumental)
                            The Demon uses a precise message or pattern to symbolically link two documents together, ensuring that they match perfectly - currently, and copying any changes in the future, as well. Unchained have often used this as a secure form of communication, as well as a method of making Pacts at a distance.
                            Dice Roll: Wits + Academics
                            Action: Instant

Dramatic Failure: The linking between the two documents becomes "leaky", copying their text to a randomly chosen other media near one of the two bound documents. This will most assuredly cause complications for the Demon in the future.
                            Failure: Some mistake in the wording or occult manipulations fouls up the binding, ensuring the two documents remain two distinct documents.
                            Success: The Demon manages to use a specific phrase or message to bind a document to another one featuring the same text or pattern. Alterations to the text on one of them simultaneously appear upon the other, ensuring they remain in sync. The linking last up to Successes in weeks, or until cancelled (such as by ripping up one of the documents), whichever comes first.

Note that the paired document doesn't have to actually exist at the moment the Embed is used - the first physical document that replicates the same message or pattern will be the one the original is linked to. This allows for Demons to pre-arrange a system by which they copy pass-phrases, entangle them, then write out their communications. In the modern age, it also allows them to fax or email such missives. This still must occur within the Embed's normal duration, and counts against the remaining time.
                            Exceptional Success: The binding is more lasting than normal, and is able to exist indefinitely, as long as the two linked documents do.

[Comments: This now lets Demons get in on secret messages and automatic writing. Using a pre-arranged sequence of phrases, one of them can write up and bind a paper, with the other copying the phrase upon another afterward. Then they can communicate using this archaic, but very secure, "chat room". At least, until one of them loses their file...

The Pact ability coupled with the Indefinite duration on exception success also lets an imprisoned Demon craft a message/Pact, then wait for someone to accidentally copy their key-phrase, allowing for mysterious messages, and deals struck from afar.]
                            Last edited by Vent0; 03-14-2016, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Hmm. Would an Exploit that removes Conditions/Tilts be appropriate? Affliction (and other abilities) can add them, but what about "curing" them? Name it Miracle or Eraser? Obviously it shouldn't be able to remove Conditions like Burned or Hunted. Or does this functionality already exist in the form of Pacts, and should remain there? Though a general purpose Remove Condition power would also be able to strip beneficial Conditions too. Or maybe it just lets you swap one Condition for another? Rename to Corruption, then?

Thoughts?

Comment

I could see this being something that an Analyst could do when they Go Loud by combining Affliction and some other Exploit. Maybe Newton's Nightmares so that you could have a variety of affects that could blanket over an entire area? Break to Heal or Eye for an Eye?

Comment

Working...
                                X