Homebrew Cryptids and Adaptations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew Cryptids and Adaptations

Here's your one stop shop for all crowd-sourced, home(micro)brewed Cryptids and Adaptations. We'll try to assemble everything in this post, once finalized, for easy viewing. And/Or create a Google Doc for copying. Feel free to cross-post any Cryptids you may already have, or just discuss and development them below.

[Placeholder for finished Adaptations]

[Placeholder for finished Cryptids]

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

[Personal placeholder for the following ideas]

<Angel Eater - Adaptation - Based on Ghost Eater and Essence Thief, but targeted towards Angels>

<Aether Dependency - Adaptation - Models Hellhounds Aether needs as an Adaptation>

<Soul Eater #1 - Cryptid - Thing that eats Cover Elements/Dots, or parts of a human's Pact-able features when Covers aren't available.>

<Soul Eater #2 - Cryptid - Human -> Stigmatic -> Grafted to Form Gadget -> Cryptid, that needs to eat others' souls (Soul-less Condition) to alleviate their own Soul-less Condition>

<Blood of Creation - Adaptation - Develop for certain Aurel Cryptids, Cryptid's blood/remains can Install an Embed or Exploit into an object>

<Death Curse - Adaptation - Reflexively uses an Exploit upon the Cryptid's death - note: not limited to harmful Exploits>

<Aether Transference - Adaptation - Allows Cryptid to transfer Aether to and from sources>

<Aether Collector - Adaptation - Cryptid can gather ambient Aether, like Demon-Blooded, for use or storage>

<Symbiosis - Adaptation - Material version of the Claim Manifestation>

<Aether Beatles - Cryptid - Moves around, storing spare Aether into Stockpiles like a squirrel stores nuts. Used to explain why Exploited Gadgets might not have decayed after long periods left alone.>

<Deal Maker - Adaptation - Allows the Cryptid to make Pacts with other similar to a Demon. Might not need documents, however.>

<Accursed Bite - Adaptation - Attacks from the Cryptid inflict Glitches upon targets (even non-Demons). Not restricted solely to bite attacks, despite the name.>

<Legion - Adaptation - Cryptid is merely one part of a larger creature. Can be used to represent appendages, avatar manifestations, hive-minds, etc.>

<Imprinting - Adaptation - Material version of the Fetter Manifestation>

<Tiresiades - Cryptid - Aurelian Cryptid. Mad, Blind Seers sought out for advice despite the costs>

<Veykhas - Cryptid - Aurelian Cryptid. Collector of lost things. Can recreate objects and even people lost, for a price>

<Kerberan Hound - Cryptid - Aurelian Cryptid. Spotted canine, only a little smaller than an adult human. Fierce guardians who Imprint (via Imprinting) upon their wards. Ahk variants are particularly prized for possessing Amorphous as well.>

<Inhabit Mask - Adaptation - Cryptid can assume pre-existing Covers>

<Myth-Weaver - Cryptid - Uses a combination of Urban Legend (as Adaptation) and Inhabit Mask to spin stories and dramas to feed off of.>
    Last edited by Vent0; 03-29-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Cross Contamination of Hybrid? (Adaptation) - Cryptids can take on characteristics/abilities of other supernaturals.

Nest (Adaptation) - A Cryptid form of a Bolthole.

Spawning Cycle (Adaptation) - A multi level adaptation that determines how quickly a Cryptid can reproduce.

Myth (Adaptation) - Local legends and superstition surround the Cryptid giving it access to its own version of Legend.

Comment

Hmm. I'm thinking of making an Adaptation for allowing a Cryptid to count as Mortal (such as for picking up Supernatural Merits, and Abjuration, etc.), but I'm not sure it is even really necessary? Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
          Hmm. I'm thinking of making an Adaptation for allowing a Cryptid to count as Mortal (such as for picking up Supernatural Merits, and Abjuration, etc.), but I'm not sure it is even really necessary? Thoughts?
          I like the idea of it. I could see it being used for those cryptids who hide among humanity. Maybe it would allow them access to social merits. I am curious why you would want them to be mortal to pick up supernatural merits when you could make adaptions to cover them?

Comment

Originally posted by lladas View Post

I like the idea of it. I could see it being used for those cryptids who hide among humanity. Maybe it would allow them access to social merits. I am curious why you would want them to be mortal to pick up supernatural merits when you could make adaptions to cover them?
            I've got notes/plans for a Demon Shard/Setting, which is basically a standard-ish Fantasy setting (baring the "Gods" being potent Demons, and the world being stitched together from Infrastructure-folded space) - this would have been for Elf/Dwarf/Whatever-equivalents, if desired. Model them as a Rank 1-2 Cryptid (for inherent traits), but are otherwise mortal. They'd only have the Adaptations inherent to their "race", but have to pick up other Merits as normal.
            Last edited by Vent0; 04-07-2016, 05:47 AM.

Comment

I've got notes/plans for a Demon Shard/Setting, which is basically a standish Fantasy setting (baring the &quot;Gods&quot; being potent Demons, and the world being stitched together from Infrastructure-folded space) - this would have been for Elf/Dwarf/Whatever-equivalents, if desired. Model them as a Rank 1-2 Cryptid (for inherent traits), but are otherwise mortal. They'd only have the Adaptations inherent to their &quot;race&quot;, but have to pick up other Merits as normal.
              Well, that is an amazing idea. Reading that then I think you can just set it up that they can pick up merits per usual. That rule could just pertain to that shard and I don't see how you would have much issue from there.

Comment

<eMauler - Cryptid - A Badger "enhanced" with Hellhounds Exploit to have at least the Data-Form (Demonic Form) Adaptation, for when you need to maul someone over the internet.>

<Modulus - Cryptid - An amorphous blob with the Amorphous (Demonic Form) Adaptation, letting it, well, adapt to whatever it needs (at least, Demonic Form-wise).>

<Hunter-Seeker - Cryptid - A bloodhound with at least Tag & Release (Embed), Rip The Gates (Exploit), and Special Someone (Embed) as Adaptations, for tracking a target wherever they hide.>

<Deal Maker - Adaptation - Cryptid can make Pacts just like a Demon can. Most don't use Cover (though ones with Inhabit Mask can), but some "eat" these elements, and while Demon's can't get Benefits as Assets, nothing says Cryptids can't. Penalties for destroyed/broken Pacts remain and if the Cryptid lacks Cover, it always takes the damage itself.>
                Last edited by Vent0; 06-30-2016, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Since cryptids can have adaptations based on such a wide variety of powers why not also look at the horror section for inspiration?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                    Since cryptids can have adaptations based on such a wide variety of powers why not also look at the horror section for inspiration?
                    What do you mean?

Comment

What do you mean?
                      The core book for CofD that was released after demon had been has a section for horrors, generic monsters. They have some unique and interesting powers. I'm just concidering if a cryptid could have adaptations based on the powers those horrors have.

Comment

You mean the Dread Powers? I'd think so. They can have Supernatural Merits, Demonic Form Abilities, and Numina as it is. Why not Dread Powers?

Comment

Oh right they did call them dread powers. I was wracking my brain trying to remember what they were called n thought that dread powers was wring because hunter often uses that term.

Comment

Hunter used it first, in 1E. Then Vampire 2E used it for Strix, and Werewolf 2E for Idigam, then CofD Core for the general Horrors section.

<Illuminated Guardians - Cryptid - Used to protect older tomes and manuscripts, these Cryptids possess Collapsible and [the 2D Demonic Form Ability] to hide themselves in the illuminated artwork of books, until an intruder tries to read a restricted section. Then they become fully sized and 3D, and attack.>

Now I'm wondering if you could do a "Kryptonian" as a Cryptid? Laser Cutter for Heat Vision, Inhuman Strength, Wings (modded for unsourced, general flight), Armor... even give them a Bane to a particular form of rock/radiation...
                            Last edited by Vent0; 07-01-2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

This was a bit of Infrastructure that I created, which included some new cryptoflora.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...ew-cryptoflora

Currently working on: [REDACTED]

Comment

Working...
                              X