Angelic Form Abilities?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angelic Form Abilities?

Hey again guys, how are you? After reading Children of a Killer God again, something occurred to to me: It does not talk about angels utilizing form abilities whatsoever. While I realize chapter space limitations were likely the reason; the fact that there isn't even a side box addressing the issue really puzzled me. Angels have them, both the core book and players guide mention that angels do indeed possess form abilities like demons, but the st guide doesn't even give a blurb how form abilities differ from their less powerful demonic versions. I feel like this must be rectified. So, what are you guys' thoughts on angelic form parts and their functions? I would appreciate your thoughts and even some homebrewed examples of modified or wholecloth form abilities if you all have the time. Thanks, and have a wonderful day!

And thanks to Vent0, all the form abilities I have built up to this point have been compiled into a neat and tidy google document for a greater ease of viewing: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.rdyee771nlyl
    Last edited by Korogra; 04-26-2016, 10:16 AM.

They....don't differ?

Seems kind of obvious to me.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
    Working on:Night Horrors: Enemy Action
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

I have thought of one myself; I hope you enjoy them!

Material Conversion System ( Angelic Process)
      Some angels are deployed on harvesting or recycling missions to acquire or require resources for the Machine. With this in built ability, an angel is able to convert rare materials or physical pieces of Infrastructure back into usable fuel for the God-Machine, as well as recharging their own energy reserves.

Appearance: The Angel's midsection has been reprocessed into a matter/energy converter. Perhaps it resembles a glass fronted furnace what burns away physical matter, or a chemical vat filled with etheric chemicals, or even just a highly efficient multi chambered stomach.

Mechanics: The angel can swallow physical matter, and by doing so converts it into essence. The angel rolls it's Rank + Resistance trait - the swallowed object's Durability. Success means the the ingested object is rapidly broken down, suffering one point of aggravated damage per turn until completely destroyed. The angel in return gains one point of essence equal to each point of durability the consumed object possesses. Failing the roll causes the angel to forcibly regurgitate the object, though they are free to attempt to break it down again on their next turn.
      Last edited by Korogra; 04-23-2016, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
        They....don't differ?

Seems kind of obvious to me.
        Some of them very much do, according to descriptions for demonic form abilities. Multiple Images for example states that angels who possess it can make copies of themselves that are capable to taking physical action, while the demonic version creates merely highly realistic illusions/holograms. So there are some differences for at least some form abilities. Now for others, I agree that they probably do not differ much or at all, like Armored Plates or Rivet Arm.
        Last edited by Korogra; 03-19-2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Korogra View Post

Some of them very much do, according to descriptions for demonic form abilities. Multiple Images for example states that angels who possess it can make copies of themselves that are capable to taking physical action, while the demonic version creates merely highly realistic illusions/holograms. So there are some differences for at least some form abilities. Now for others, I agree that they probably do not differ much or at all, like Armored Plates or Rivet Arm.
          Not necessarily. Considering Angels are still plugged into the God Machine and that the fall is rather traumatic on the Unchained it could also just be that the system doesn't work as well for the Unchained who have it. Like if part of multiple image system operated by using the connection to the GM as external hardware then an Angel would be able to pull off more just because no demon has the needed processing power. Or the system tends to get damaged during a fall. That being said I would not be opposed to the idea of evolved tech on Angels with the idea that well upgrades have been made to the system since you fell.

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
            Not necessarily. Considering Angels are still plugged into the God Machine and that the fall is rather traumatic on the Unchained it could also just be that the system doesn't work as well for the Unchained who have it. Like if part of multiple image system operated by using the connection to the GM as external hardware then an Angel would be able to pull off more just because no demon has the needed processing power. Or the system tends to get damaged during a fall. That being said I would not be opposed to the idea of evolved tech on Angels with the idea that well upgrades have been made to the system since you fell.
            That still means that the utilization of their systems is different, even if it is because the God-Machine provides greater processing/ technical capability. Now I agree with angels having access to higher "tiers" of form abilities or more optimized versions of existing pieces, that would be awesome.

Comment

I've used form abilities for angels, I just give them the same number as a demon (4,3,2,1), 1 essence let's them manifest (Rank) form abilities at a time, or go full angelic form, at the cost of dropping any pretense of being inconspicuous. Between Influences, Incepts and Numina, angels have enough meat that they don't need more powerful form abilities, though if you want to do a plot thread in your chronicle about the G-M machine developing new and superior form abilities...

Comment

I've been wondering about how to run the idea of an Angelic Form. Personally, I think that with everything else they've got going for them, even the maximum demon spread is a lot. I've run it as their natural abilities that pop out when they drop Mortal Mask.

I'm curious, how do you guys run Angelic Cover?

Comment

Originally posted by Agentwestmer View Post
                  I've used form abilities for angels, I just give them the same number as a demon (4,3,2,1)
                  As a nitpick, it's 3/2/1/1 and it only ever gets to 4/3/1/2 without Terrible Form, Advance Form, or High Tolerance.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                  Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Assuming that an Angel's form powers are stronger than those of a Demon's does up te ante if you give them said powers in the process. And it'd be pretty interesting to see write-ups for the different form powers in the hands of an Angel, where applicable.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                    Age of Azar
                    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Agentwestmer View Post
                      I've used form abilities for angels, I just give them the same number as a demon (4,3,2,1), 1 essence let's them manifest (Rank) form abilities at a time, or go full angelic form, at the cost of dropping any pretense of being inconspicuous. Between Influences, Incepts and Numina, angels have enough meat that they don't need more powerful form abilities, though if you want to do a plot thread in your chronicle about the G-M machine developing new and superior form abilities...
                      I do agree with Satch that the spread is a little odd with how numbers go, but it doesn't bother me- I would imagine angels would naturally have more bits anyway, they just get sheared off when the Fall happens XD. And I also agree that with their Incepts, Influences, and Numina do cover for a lot of things form abilities offer, sometimes you still need those extra arms or healing protocols, it saves Essence for more important functions after all.

.. And I also agree in finding the concept of the God-Machine outfitting it's units with powerful "next gen" form abilities as it were.. it's a great story hook to demonstrate just how more advanced/cutting edge angels can be compared to their jury-rigged fallen cousins. Huh would you look at that, lots of agreements from me today XD

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                        As a nitpick, it's 3/2/1/1 and it only ever gets to 4/3/1/2 without Terrible Form, Advance Form, or High Tolerance.
                        Always a rare honor to see you posting in threads I start, even if it is to clarify things. I confess, it's a "senpai noticed" moment even if it doesn't directly involve me XD. I do have to ask, what exactly was High Tolerance again? I vaguely remember reading it, but for the life of me can't remember what it entails. Having said that, how do you handle Form Abilities Satch? I'm curious to know what you do with them concerning angels.

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                          Assuming that an Angel's form powers are stronger than those of a Demon's does up te ante if you give them said powers in the process. And it'd be pretty interesting to see write-ups for the different form powers in the hands of an Angel, where applicable.
                          agreed, I was hoping to see the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
                            I've been wondering about how to run the idea of an Angelic Form. Personally, I think that with everything else they've got going for them, even the maximum demon spread is a lot. I've run it as their natural abilities that pop out when they drop Mortal Mask.

I'm curious, how do you guys run Angelic Cover?
                            I personally run Angelic Cover much like normal Cover, though under normal circumstances I do not bother with doing compromise rolls. I figure the God-Machine can patch their Covers on the fly should a potential compromise occur, so their identities are rarely in danger under normal circumstances. That doesn't mean their Covers can't fray; it's just much harder for them to do so.

Comment

I always figured angelic form abilities were covered by a combination of numina, influences and general storyteller fudgery. They're like embeds. They're there, but Angels just sort of use them organically with no fanfare.

Comment

Working...
                              X