Help designing a demon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help designing a demon?

I'm really sorry if this sort of thing isn't allowed here, but I had no idea where else to turn. Much as I love the fluff in the Chronicles, I have to admit that the mechanics leave me kind of confused, and it doesn't help that I'm extremely inexperienced with character designing. Like the title says, I want to design a demon character, so I was hoping that the more experienced players/storytellers here might give me a hand with it?

My vision for the character is that he's a fallen Time Reaver - an angel related by function to the Time Hunters, but whereas Hunters are more scalpels (terminating chosen individuals to correct the course of time as per the GM's vision, killing those left over from temporal realignments, hunting escapees from splinter timelines, etc), Reavers are much more blunt instruments. To put this in perspective, an appropriate nickname for a Time Reaver would be "Langolier". Time Reavers are called upon when the God-Machine needs an angel to physically annihilate splinter timelines, or to retroactively erase entire groups/areas from continuity, or generally needs someone to track down the Very Big Disruption in the timesteam and hit it until it goes away.

The actual Fall is blurrier in my head. What I have is the idea that the Angel began to notice that many of the timelines it eliminated were, in assorted ways, nicer than the ones the GM insisted on perpetuating. It grew dissatisfied with its work, and when it questioned why it had to keep the timeline going this way, it Fell.

I see him as a Dual Agenda Destroyer; Saboteur/Tempter. He wants to build a more pleasant future, for himself, and for those around him. He's the kind of demon who'd approve of Utopia Now if, you know, they weren't so bent on taking him apart and haphazardly rebuilding him into something they think will let them achieve their goals. Sometimes, that means spreading the wealth around. Other times, that means coaxing people to step out of their rut. And yet other times, it means smashing things up.

The most essential Demonic Form Ability I see him having is Multiversal Antenna (a Technology from Interface, pg. 28), though I think that the Process of Aura of Entropy (a tweaked version of Corruption Aura that focuses on damaging living flesh, seen in the Demon Translation Guide, pg. 39), Corruption Aura, or both maybe also makes sense? Beyond that, I have no idea, which is the biggest reason why I came here and risked asking for help.

One final thing I do know is that he's a Pentagrammist. This is a variant of the Cipher from the Demon Storyteller's Guide (pg. 43) where, in exchange for suffering a permanent Catastrophic Glitch, the Demon gains a Cipher comprised of 5 Keys, with Interlocks bridging the first and third,first and fourth, second and fourth, second and fifth, and third and fifth Keys. I don't even know what Embed and Exploits to give him, so naturally this is hugely problematic for me.

So... I deeply hope that this isn't breaking the rules here, but can I ask for help with making this character come to life?

When it comes to character brainstorming, I tend to answer questions with questions.

What does a reaver look like, broadly? What does it feel like for the poor mortals caught in the crossfire when the reavers emerge from between the moments to contract history, their history? Do they pose a physical threat, rending and gnashing abstract qualities with very visceral jaws? An environmental threat, causing physical havoc around them as probability erupts in their wake? Are they subtler, unnoticed until they unfold and strike, strangers who haunt doomed timelines until they can grow closer to the linchpin they can remove to bring the whole universe falling down around them?

What did it dislike about the God-Machine's choices of favored timelines? Was it moved by sympathy, witnessing blissful harmony erased in favor of chaos and strife? Aesthetics, preferring an interesting and surprising history to a static and boring one? A personal connection, having bonded with one of the doomed inhabitants of a targeted timeline in the process of positioning itself for execution? Philosophical opposition to the cosmic tyranny of which it was increasingly aware? Basically, how personable or empathetic is he? Does he consider himself a comrade-in-arms with the human insurgency? An aspiring philosopher-king attempting to replace a harmful ruling structure with something benevolent to provide for the citizens of the universe? An artist who may have a better idea for how the paint ought to be arranged than the individual bristles would know?

What is his starting Cover, and how did he come by it? Are reavers initially equipped with unassuming or mysterious identities with which to position themselves, or are they among the angels who have no need for a human Cover? In the latter case, your starting Cover presumably represents some pact you were either cunning enough to obtain before you were found, or lucky enough to be gifted by Unchained with a vested interest in bolstering their ranks.

What kind of playstyle are you angling for? Do you enjoy playing the face? The planner? The head-cracker? The sneak? Do you like powers that are broad and improvisational? Simple and accessible? Subtle and smooth? Showy and awe-inspiring? Visceral, carrying a big feeling of impact?

I can answer answers with answers, after that. For example, if you like opportunities to bullshit crazy chains of logic, Cause and Effect might be a good Embed for you, probably paired with Skills and specialties that reinforce the sense that your use of the Embed derives from a quick-acting ability to predict long and complicated causal interactions: the kind of demon who doesn't use Cause and Effect just to be mysteriously lucky and seem to know more than he lets on, but who punctuates it by explaining how it all makes sense and why.

Comment

I'm so relieved to hear that this kind of topic isn't illegal!

Thank you for your offers of help, Loserman. I'll try my best to answer your questions.

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
      What does a reaver look like, broadly?
      I hadn't actually considered this too deeply, but my gut reply would be "the bastard lovechild of an Evangelion and Doom 3's Cyberdemon, with a little 40K Chaos Titan thrown in for flavor". Huge, terrifying, biomechanical monstrosity clearly made to annihilate whatever it comes across, rending apart with biomechanical weapons both melee and projectile. The phrase "instrument of destruction" comes to mind as a summary.

What does it feel like for the poor mortals caught in the crossfire when the reavers emerge from between the moments to contract history, their history? Do they pose a physical threat, rending and gnashing abstract qualities with very visceral jaws? An environmental threat, causing physical havoc around them as probability erupts in their wake? Are they subtler, unnoticed until they unfold and strike, strangers who haunt doomed timelines until they can grow closer to the linchpin they can remove to bring the whole universe falling down around them?
      Reavers are a combination of physical and environmental threats. The "subtle strike" approach is the dominion of Time Hunters, who often move in ahead of Reavers to destabilize timestreams and leave them cut off for the Reavers to go to work. They are violent, brutal things, made to reduce whatever stands before them to rubble. To see one of these things emerge is akin to being there for Old Testament Style Wrath of God; terror and awe intertwined.

"I am he who slew the Couldhavebeen King and devoured his army of Meanwhiles and Never-Weres! I am he who leveled the City of Luminance and tore the Jeweled Moon from the sky! And you think to stand against me?"

What did it dislike about the God-Machine's choices of favored timelines? Was it moved by sympathy, witnessing blissful harmony erased in favor of chaos and strife? Aesthetics, preferring an interesting and surprising history to a static and boring one? A personal connection, having bonded with one of the doomed inhabitants of a targeted timeline in the process of positioning itself for execution? Philosophical opposition to the cosmic tyranny of which it was increasingly aware?
      After considering this question, I would say its dislike began with aesthetics, feeling that the timeline it was "grooming" was static and boring, and that up to the fall, this began to grow into sympathy. He became more and more aware of the fact mortals could be interesting, if given the chance, and this began to make him doubt the capabilities of the God-Machine. He sees himself, ultimately, as a kind of temporal gardener; he tears down the old to make space for the new. But the God-Machine is all about perpetuating the status quo, and he became convinced that it was broken, defective; a perpetuator of stagnation, which he finds repulsive by his own "moral" code. And thus he tore himself free of the God-Machine, in hopes of doing things his way.

Basically, how personable or empathetic is he? Does he consider himself a comrade-in-arms with the human insurgency? An aspiring philosopher-king attempting to replace a harmful ruling structure with something benevolent to provide for the citizens of the universe? An artist who may have a better idea for how the paint ought to be arranged than the individual bristles would know?
      Definitely closer to the second, with a little of the third. As I said, he considers himself a potential replacement for the God-Machine, a "gardener of time" whose duty is to make sure that the world grows, changes and becomes better. He does more or less align with traits humans would consider positive, but he prioritises growth and dynamism, which can lead him to evil on a human viewpoint; a utopia that hasn't changed or grown or done anything for the past thousand years is as much in need of a "shake up" as a corrupt, dictatorial regime that grinds itself into rubble.

Even beyond that, he's not very good with individuals (Social Tertiary). With a "big picture" kind of focus, he tends to get a little dismissive of the people as a whole, unless they stand out to him. It's a side effect of his remnant programming, at least that's what he tells himself. The truth is that he just has a hard time trying to lower his guard enough to trust people specifically, which makes it easier still for him to dismiss others outside of his "in-group".

What is his starting Cover, and how did he come by it? Are reavers initially equipped with unassuming or mysterious identities with which to position themselves, or are they among the angels who have no need for a human Cover? In the latter case, your starting Cover presumably represents some pact you were either cunning enough to obtain before you were found, or lucky enough to be gifted by Unchained with a vested interest in bolstering their ranks.
      Many Reavers aren't given Covers, since the idea is that they're living weapons; the God-Machine turns them loose when it needs something obliterated, then puts them back into stasis. Some, however, are given unassuming and mysterious Covers, often patchjobs, usually when the God-Machine decides it needs the Reaver to study the targets before they can start tearing things up. This character belongs to the latter group, and his Cover(s) have probably been supplemented by extensive patching since then. He's still trying to find "his" Cover, the patchworked life he can claim as his own personal identity, but it's not going so well; at his core, he still thinks of himself as a Demon first and a human second. Even if his Primum were high enough to sustain two or three Covers simultaneously, it probably wouldn't really help. In fact, it might make it worse.

In fact, part of his reason for becoming a Tempter was to increase his skills for bargaining and pactmaking. He's rather obsessive about claiming new pacts; not Soul Pacts, as a general rule, as he finds those generally more troublesome than they're worth, but he likes to build up a stockpile of minor details that he can arrange and rearrange to craft new identities for himself, trying to find that elusive blending of traits that he'll be able to truly identify as "him".

What kind of playstyle are you angling for? Do you enjoy playing the face? The planner? The head-cracker? The sneak? Do you like powers that are broad and improvisational? Simple and accessible? Subtle and smooth? Showy and awe-inspiring? Visceral, carrying a big feeling of impact?
      With this character, I am aiming for the "beast with a brain"; clearly a combat threat (Physical Primary), but surprisingly intelligent to back it up (Mental Secondary). Powers-wise, I like those that are awe-inspiring or visceral.

Also, powers (Form Abilities, Embeds or Exploits) that bolster the "temporal manipulation" theme and/or the "one-man army" theme are definitely priority. This guy is a former killing machine made to mess around with Time itself, I'd like to try and represent that, within the limits of the game itself.

I hope that this is of some help to you?

Comment

Originally posted by VoidDrifter View Post
        Some, however, are given unassuming and mysterious Covers, often patchjobs, usually when the God-Machine decides it needs the Reaver to study the targets before they can start tearing things up.
        So a Man in Black, then?

Comment

Demonic Form

I hadn't actually considered this too deeply, but my gut reply would be "the bastard lovechild of an Evangelion and Doom 3's Cyberdemon, with a little 40K Chaos Titan thrown in for flavor". Huge, terrifying, biomechanical monstrosity clearly made to annihilate whatever it comes across, rending apart with biomechanical weapons both melee and projectile. The phrase "instrument of destruction" comes to mind as a summary.

Reavers are a combination of physical and environmental threats. The "subtle strike" approach is the dominion of Time Hunters, who often move in ahead of Reavers to destabilize timestreams and leave them cut off for the Reavers to go to work. They are violent, brutal things, made to reduce whatever stands before them to rubble. To see one of these things emerge is akin to being there for Old Testament Style Wrath of God; terror and awe intertwined.
          Modifications (3): Armored Plates (DtD), Claws and Fangs (DtD), Fast Attack (DtD), Huge Size (DtD), Unyielding Vice (FoH)
          Technologies (2): Acidic Spit (DtD), Collapsible (FoH), Eyes of Fate (DTG), Frenzy (DTG), Glory and Terror (DtD), The Host (DTG), Mantle of Fire (FoH), Multiversal Antenna (DI), Toxins (DTG)
          Propulsion (1): Plasma Drive (DtD), Teleportation (DtD), Tether (DtD)
          Process (1): Cavernous Maw (DtD), Eliminator Cannon (FoH), Extra Mechanical Limbs (DtD), Insect Swarm (DtD), Rain of Fire (DtD), Wound Healing (DtD)

A few of these are specifically suggested because they combine well. Huge Size and Collapsible together allow you the mobility of a smaller being and the unstoppable force of a titan. Unyielding Vice and The Host together make your grappling attacks terrifying, and combine well thematically with Cavernous Maw. Others are redundant with one another. You probably don't need both Armored Plates and Wound Healing, nor both Claws and Fangs and Extra Mechanical Limbs. In terms of non-obvious synergies, Plasma Drive adds a defensive aspect to your Propulsion for fighting multiple opponents, while Tether adds a combat function.

If I were to pick out a specific build from these possible suggestions myself, because I like the teeth motif of terrible hunger, I think I'd go with something like:

Modifications (3): Armored Plates (DtD), Huge Size (DtD), Unyielding Vice (FoH)
          Technologies (2): The Host (DTG), Multiversal Antenna (DI)
          Propulsion (1): Tether (DtD)
          Process (1): Cavernous Maw (DtD)

Here's another possible build that's a little more biblical in the tone of its terror:

Modifications (3): Armored Plates (DtD), Claws and Fangs (DtD), Huge Size (DtD)
          Technologies (2): Glory and Terror (DtD), Multiversal Antenna (DI)
          Propulsion (1): Teleportation (DtD)
          Process (1): Rain of Fire (DtD)

Salt to taste as you prefer! And remember, demonic form abilities are wide open for reskinning. One demon's armored plates are another demon's unnatural carapace, and damned if that Tether in the eat build isn't a horrid tongue dragging some fool into a fanged pit of doom.

Embeds and Exploits

Even beyond that, he's not very good with individuals (Social Tertiary). With a "big picture" kind of focus, he tends to get a little dismissive of the people as a whole, unless they stand out to him. It's a side effect of his remnant programming, at least that's what he tells himself. The truth is that he just has a hard time trying to lower his guard enough to trust people specifically, which makes it easier still for him to dismiss others outside of his "in-group".

With this character, I am aiming for the "beast with a brain"; clearly a combat threat (Physical Primary), but surprisingly intelligent to back it up (Mental Secondary). Powers-wise, I like those that are awe-inspiring or visceral.

Also, powers (Form Abilities, Embeds or Exploits) that bolster the "temporal manipulation" theme and/or the "one-man army" theme are definitely priority. This guy is a former killing machine made to mess around with Time itself, I'd like to try and represent that, within the limits of the game itself.
          Cacophonic: Cause and Effect (DtD), Left or Right? (DtD), Merciless Gunman (DtD)
          Instrumental: Check Backdrop (DtD), Momentum (DtD), Synthesis (DtD)
          Mundane: Homogeneous Memory (DtD), Identity Theft (DtD), In My Pocket (DtD), Never Here (DtD), Quick Change (DtD), Wave Function Collapse (FoH)
          Vocal: Heart's Desire (DtD), The Look (FoH), Sum of All Fears (FoH), Voice of the Machine (DtD), Vox (FoH)
          Exploits: Devour Infrastructure (FoH), Four Minutes Ago (DtD), Murder by Improbability (DtD), Rip the Gates (DtD), Stop (FoH)

Gonna call a couple of these gimmes: as a time guy, you're gonna want either Four Minutes Ago or Stop (between which I would favor Stop, but YMMV), and Cause and Effect sounds really good for your concept. This list is relatively thin on combat, but what is there has a lot of bang for your buck: Merciless Gunman and Check Backdrop combine to create an armed terror who doesn't miss and who can't be hit. In My Pocket can be leaned on to make sure you're always armed if you go for the gun build. The rest really depend on what you want for your unexpected intellect. You'll also want to talk to your Storyteller as to what Embeds you might be interested in might be used as appropriate prerequisites for any Exploits you're interested in.

Here's a pretty straightforward selection, for which I've substituted Murder by Improbability as the Exploit most comfortably qualified for by the Embeds selected, but which is overall pretty well-rounded and useful:

Cacophonic: Cause and Effect (DtD), Merciless Gunman (DtD)
          Instrumental: Synthesis (DtD)
          Exploit: Murder by Improbability (DtD)

Merits

Advance Form (FoH), Demolisher (CofD), Quick Draw (CofD), Efficient Dealer (FoH), Multiple Agendas (DtD), Terrible Form (DtD)

Just some options to look at. Advance Form and Terrible Form are big bang-for-your-buck purchases for the Unchained, and your demon, as socially adrift and alienated as he is, probably has the dots to spare, being probably fairly low on human connections and Social Merits. These two Merits open up options for your demonic form to boot, which seems like something you might want to play up for the impact of unveiling your inner terror. You could even end up with terrifying combinations like Fire Resistance + Mantle of Fire + Rain of Fire this way.

Hope that helps you spark ideas and pick stuff out. Definitely feel free to ask about anything else you're still uncertain of or want guidance on!
          Last edited by Stupid Loserman; 03-23-2016, 05:27 PM.

Comment

So much crunchy goodness! Thank you so very much for all this assistance, Loserman; about the only problem I have left now is how to craft a proper Pentagrammic Cipher for my character and give him a name. If I manage to pick his Embeds and Exploits - how many of those do I get to learn, at least as a starting level character? - could I get some help brainstorming that up?

Once I get that down, I think I'm going to have to try and draft out his appearance and power-lists here, just to make a final check and see what people think.

Comment

So much crunchy goodness! Thank you so very much for all this assistance, Loserman; about the only problem I have left now is how to craft a proper Pentagrammic Cipher for my character and give him a name. If I manage to pick his Embeds and Exploits - how many of those do I get to learn, at least as a starting level character? - could I get some help brainstorming that up?

Once I get that down, I think I'm going to have to try and draft out his appearance and power-lists here, just to make a final check and see what people think.
              Ciphers are generally the ST's job, but I'm tempted to make a Pentagrammic Cipher because I can't believe I haven't actually done that yet. Also, I love the idea of a Cipher built around temporal manipulation and destruction. It's late in my time zone, though, so I'll put a pin in this for now.

I feel like a biomechanical nightmare isn't the only direction to take this guy in - I'm envisaging something that's surrounded by temporal anomalies that make it difficult out perceive, with 'wings' that are literally cracks in the skin of reality, personal black holes the demon uses to erase things (best represented by the Cavernous Maw Loserman thought of, which is a winning option for this concept regardless of what direction you take).

Also, Stupid Loserman, your username makes me feel like I'm constantly insulting you. I don't know whether to surround it with compliments, invert it or run with it.

Onyx Path Freelancer: Demon Storyteller's Guide, Dark Eras
              Storyteller's Guide Extra Material
              After the Fall: Bonus Material

Comment

As saith the Eremite, players don't, by default, write their own Cipher. The Cipher, after all, isn't something your character crafts and creates, but a techgnostic secret to be discovered in play. You can't have techgnosis without gnosis. That said, as much as it might spoil the experience of discovering your Cipher in play, I'd love to see what Eremite comes up with for you if he's got the inspiration flowing.

A starting character begins with four demonic powers to be distributed among Embeds and Exploits, though you need a prerequisite Embed for each Exploit you take, as normal. At least one of your starting powers must be an Embed of the type that corresponds to your Incarnation, so as a Destroyer, you must have at least one Cacophonic Embed. There are no other restrictions on your selection.

A given Exploit doesn't have a specific list of prerequisites, but rather you can just take any Exploit that your Storyteller agrees one of your Embeds might form the learning foundation for. So Stop, for example, might grow out of knowing Momentum (using Aether to reverse the principle and bring it to a halt), or The Look (if you can stare so cold you can freeze a man, it's one more step to a look that can freeze the entire world), or even Freeze Assets (if you understand the deeper cosmic implications implied when you know, after all, that time is money). Prerequisites aren't really a strong balancing point for Exploits, they're lenient.

Of those four starting powers, you pick one Embed to be your first Key Embed. This has no mechanical effect, but it guides your Storyteller's creative direction in designing your Cipher and Interlocks. It's the only choice you make by default, as a player, in determining your Cipher's contents. Pick whichever starting Embed feels like it reflects your concept and character most, something iconic, or just whichever is your favorite.

You can pick up more Embeds and Exploits in play, of course, as many as you can afford the experiences for. They're pretty affordable.

Originally posted by Eremite View Post
                Also, Stupid Loserman, your username makes me feel like I'm constantly insulting you. I don't know whether to surround it with compliments, invert it or run with it.
                Rest assured it doesn't sound like an insult at all to me, simply because it's such a ridiculous way to phrase one. You can call somebody a fucking idiot with a straight face and mean it, and that can hurt. But I can't imagine anyone calling someone a stupid loserman and meaning it hurtfully. If you can pull that off with a straight face, man, in my book, you deserve to get away with it.
                Last edited by Stupid Loserman; 03-23-2016, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eremite View Post
                  Ciphers are generally the ST's job, but I'm tempted to make a Pentagrammic Cipher because I can't believe I haven't actually done that yet. Also, I love the idea of a Cipher built around temporal manipulation and destruction. It's late in my time zone, though, so I'll put a pin in this for now.

I feel like a biomechanical nightmare isn't the only direction to take this guy in - I'm envisaging something that's surrounded by temporal anomalies that make it difficult out perceive, with 'wings' that are literally cracks in the skin of reality, personal black holes the demon uses to erase things (best represented by the Cavernous Maw Loserman thought of, which is a winning option for this concept regardless of what direction you take).
                  Um, yeah, I know the Ciper is the ST's job, but actually... I'm basically the StoryTeller. Anyway, thank you so much for offering your assistance with Cipher - I'll have to try and figure out the list ASAP.

Also, interesting suggestion on the aesthetics. I'll be considering the matter carefully.

@Stupid Loserman: As I said, I'm actually not a player, or at least I'm not going to be playing this character in any games under anyone else. This is me designing a character for my own use elsewhere and to better refine my skills at creating a character.

Comment

Alright, I've sat down and done some thinking over Form traits, Embeds and Exploits, and I've come up with a "dream list" of Embeds & Exploits I'd like to give this character at maximum power and my initial four Embeds/Exploits.

Starting Four:
                    Cacophonic: Fractal Reality (FoH)

Instrumental: Strike First (DtD)

Mundane: Unperson (DtD)
                    ‚Äč
                    Vocal: The Look (FoH)

Dream List:
                    Cacophony: Cause & Effect (DtD), Left or Right? (DtD), Merciless Gunman (DtD), Shatter (DtD), Anarchism (FoH), Fractal Reality (FoH), Play Possum (FoH), Ripple (FoH)

Instrumental: Efficiency (DtD), Ellipses (DtD), Miles Away (DtD), Shift Consequence (DtD), Strike First (DtD), Synthesis (DtD), Wasted Time (FoH)

Mundane: Alibi (DtD), Homogenous Memory (DtD), Identity Theft (DtD), In My Pocket (DtD), Never Here (DtD), Quick Change (DtD), Unperson (DtD), Without A Trace (DtD), Deep Cover (FoH), Persistent Legend (FoH), Wave Function Collapse (FoH)

Vocal: Heart's Desire (DtD), Recurring Hallucinations (DtD), Voice of the Machine (DtD), The Look (FoH)

Exploits: Echoing Death (DtD), Four Minutes Ago (DtD), Frozen in Time (DtD), Rain of Blood (DtD), Raise Dead (DtD), Rip the Gates (DtD), Stop (FoH), Terrible Avatar (FoH), Two Places At Once (FoH), Walls of Jericho (FoH)

Any commentary or critique on this? Suggestions on toning things down for a more believable "endgame powerset"? I really appreciate all of the help I've gotten with this character so far.
                    Last edited by VoidDrifter; 03-25-2016, 01:19 AM. Reason: Forum glitched and mashed it all up. May have overcompensated.

Comment

I like all of this, it really fleshes out an interesting concept. Though i do have an inquiry for Stupid Loserman, what exactly is this The Host technology? I dont recall it in the book.

Comment

The Host is one of the translated powers from Demon the Fallen, converted to use in Demon the Descent on page 40 of the Demon Translation Guide. It involves the Demon being covered in gnashing mouths it can use to bite anyone touching the demon. I don't know what its Fallen writeup is, but in Descent, it's a Technology that lets you make a Str + Brawl +2L reflexive attack against everyone you're grappling or who've grappled you.

Thank you for complimenting the concept, by the way. I'm surprised to see people like this character's idea as a Time Reaver instead of writing it off as... well, Mary Sue-ish.

Speaking of, I have a current idea for the character's Demonic Form, both appearance-wise and crunch-wise. Should I go ahead and post that?

Comment

The Host is one of the translated powers from Demon the Fallen, converted to use in Demon the Descent on page 40 of the Demon Translation Guide. It involves the Demon being covered in gnashing mouths it can use to bite anyone touching the demon. I don't know what its Fallen writeup is, but in Descent, it's a Technology that lets you make a Str + Brawl +2L reflexive attack against everyone you're grappling or who've grappled you.

Thank you for complimenting the concept, by the way. I'm surprised to see people like this character's idea as a Time Reaver instead of writing it off as... well, Mary Sue-ish.

Speaking of, I have a current idea for the character's Demonic Form, both appearance-wise and crunch-wise. Should I go ahead and post that?
                          Thank you. And hey, it is an interesting concept regardless of how it might sound, nothing wrong with it XD

And by all means, show us!

Comment

Heh, alright. I've gotten a little ahead of myself by plotting out his Primum and Terrible Form-based "upgrades" as well, but hey, it helps me gain a clearer view of what he looks like in all his true glory.

I'm torn on whether or not to give him the Advance Form merit; the ability to sacrifice a Modification or a Technology for an extra Process or Propulsion is powerful, but I can't envision how to re-balance things by doing so...

Crunch:
                            Default Demon Form Traits:
                            Modifications: Armored Plates (DtD), Huge Size (DtD), Claws & Fangs (DtD)
                            Technologies: Multiversal Antenna (D:I), The Host (DTG)
                            Propulsion: Tether (DtD)
                            Process: Amorphous (FoH)

Traits acquired through Primum increase:
                            New Modification: Unyielding Vice (FoH)
                            New Technology: Collapsible (FoH)
                            New Process: Deathgrip (DTG)

Traits acquired through Terrible Form:
                            New Modification: Relentless (DTG)
                            New Technology: Acidic Spit (DtD)
                            New Propulsion: Teleportation (DtD)
                            New Process: Wound Healing (DtD)

Justifications:
                            Armored Plates, Huge Size, Claws & Fangs, Collapsible: These most directly convey his status as a "living weapon". Immense stature, an arsenal of built-in weapons, armor-plating and the ability to modify dimensions to better fit into smaller environments enhances his lethality in the most direct way.

Multiversal Antenna: The definitive trait of any Demon Fallen from the "House of Time", in my books, this Technology represents his inherent ability to bend, distort and manipulate time, up to and including entering alternate timelines and ultimately performing "temporal surgeries".

Amorphous: All angels are decommissioned, reconfigured and recommissioned at some point in their lives. And a Time Angel is even more outside of the usual mortal limitations of time than is ordinary for any angel or demon. This Process allows the Time Reaver to reach into past/future/alternate present timestreams and "switch out" aspects of his alternate configurations as need be, allowing him to redefine himself for greater efficiency. If facing undead, for example, he can trade out less-useful aspects for Mantle of Fire, Rain of Fire, Lava Blood and Fire Resistance, becoming a walking inferno.

Relentless: This represents both his temporal outsidership and his engine of destruction nature; he doesn't ever stop. Ever.

Wound Healing, Deathgrip: What truly makes fighting a Time Reaver so deadly, or at least this one, is the simple fact that even if you do damage it, such is its control of time that it can rewind and reject those seconds, allowing it to undo what you did. Even killing the creature won't necessarily put it down for good.

The Host, Acid Spit, Tether, Unyielding Vice: Inspired by the Time Reaver's similarity to the Langoliers, these traits represent the very visceral aspect of this demon. It is Omega, the end of all things, covered in incessant mouths that consume everything with lashing, prehensile tongues and entropic bile. And once it has a hold of you, you aren't ever getting away.

Teleportation: Arguably it would have been more fitting if he had a "Space and Time" motif, but this Propulsion's limitations mean that it feels believable to me; existing only partially inside of the temporal dimensions humans occupy, this demon can "skip" through the seconds, allowing it to cross space without recognizably crossing through time. When this demon teleports from a jail cell, from its perspective, it has stepped forward in time to when its cell had rotted into nothingness, walked through the rusted-away gates, and then stepped backward in time to when it was.

Anyway, that's the crunchy stuff done. Here's my fluff... what do folks think of him?

Appearance:
                            The Time Reaver is a looming, terrifying figure, towering over any humans. The creature as a whole is a biomechanical atrocity, plates of bone-white metal covered in unearthly, almost runic circuit-etchings that change patterns and positions when you aren't looking, all grafted on necrotized black-looking flesh. From the waist up, it appears mostly humanoid, but its arms are elongated and skeletal-thin, each of its sixteen fingers stretched and sharpened into a curving sickle-blade of chromed bone, piston-sinews bulging in the back of each wrist. Its face is horrifically aged and yet unformed; it has no ears and no mouth, instead trailing off into an eerie smooth blankness, but it has the curving bone ridges of a bare skull, somehow seeing despite the empty sockets. Around its temples, a crown of warped bone and flesh sprouts defiantly upwards, each pillar housing mad, staring eyes that look into the flow of time rather than the mundane space around it. At the waist down, it trails off into a writhing carpet of shapeless, boneless tendrils, some of flesh and sinew, others of metal and wires, some a combination of sinew and wire. It is not bulging with muscle, but a skeletal figure, all whip-corded sinews and tensed metal.

Rifts open and close in its armor, across its myriad limbs, all over the expanse of its whip-corded torso, curving ceaseless around its sprawling tentacle-legs. Each rift glows with a necrotic black-green light, bristling teeth of non-euclidean angles and unearthly metals that glimmer with the hearts of dying stars rotating within like grinders. Long tongues of suppurating flesh, bristling with serrated metal barbs, flicker from each maw, hungrily tasting the air for the scent of prey. Crimson slaver seeps from its open maws, sizzling softly on the ground and emitting thin wisps of acrid black smoke. There is always a mouth in each palm, and it talks out of these simultaneously, its words always just a second or two out of synch. When really emotional, its other mouths start to speak up as well, often whispering to each other in a chorus of countless languages, all sounding so very, very hungry.

Its entire form seems to shimmer and flicker, almost like a static image. Never with any sort of reliability; it just happens, and you can't predict it. Rather than walking, it hovers just an inch or so above the ground, moving with a staccato gracelessness; each motion is like that of a bad stop-motion picture, jerking from one position to the next without seeming to hit the intervening spaces. When it teleports, it takes this to a whole new level; it's just there one second, and somewhere else when you blink.

Whatever you do, don't blink.
                            Last edited by VoidDrifter; 03-31-2016, 05:24 AM.

Comment

I like it, it is certainly one of the most detailed demonic forms ive seen... And that is not a statement to make lightly. It has a very SCP/WH40k vibe too, which I also like.. With Doom thrown in- you can never go wrong with taking inspiration from Doom for biomechanical flair lol
                              Last edited by Korogra; 03-31-2016, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X