No announcement yet.

Help designing a demon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you very much for the appreciative commentary, Korogra. In all honesty, the most "biomechanical" I associate with Doom is probably the steam-pumping heart from the opening credits of Doom 3...

Anyway, thank you all for your help, assistance and encouragement in this little project. I really wasn't sure if it'd be allowed to exist here, so thank you again for taking pity on someone so hopelessly inept when it comes to Chronicles system crunch.

Comment

Originally posted by VoidDrifter View Post
      Thank you very much for the appreciative commentary, Korogra. In all honesty, the most "biomechanical" I associated with Doom is probably the steam-pumping heart from the opening credits of Doom 3...

Anyway, thank you all for your help, assistance and encouragement in this little project. I really wasn't sure if it'd be allowed to exist here, so thank you again for taking pity on someone so hopelessly inept when it comes to Chronicles system crunch.
      And that's fine! Having said that, the demons of Doom 3 are very biomechanical, The Cyberdemon being what first comes to mind, but many others have those weaponized machine bits too; its great.

I shamelessly admit I've taken as much inspiration from Doom 3 for Unchained aesthetic s as I have designed whole cloth, along with a whisper of 40k- which gels with demon pretty well actually. ( well with a biblical or anime reference here or there too xD. )

Now for the God-Machine, its more derivative, but that's okay. I still keep with the biomehanical theme, but I instead take a lot of Inspiration from Quake 4 and Prey when designing Facilities, with a tiny bit of Forerunner blended in, giving the Machine some elegance to its nightmarish heavy industrial aesthetics- as well as highlighting how even though on the surface it might mirror mankind's tools and machinery with its sometimes brutal purpose, it is still otherworldly and alien.
      Last edited by Korogra; 04-09-2016, 03:57 AM.

Comment

So, I know I brought up my difficulties thinking up a Pentagrammic Cipher for my guy here and, while still no closer to a solid solution, I do think I might have a vague goal to aim it towards.

The Time Reaver's ultimate goal is to become a true Alpha and Omega, someone with the ability to create, transform and destroy on a vast scale, bending time to his will. His Cipher, then, should be focused in the direction of manipulating the Creation/Transformation/Destruction cycle - or the Birth-Life-Death-Decay-Rebirth cycle, however you prefer to describe it. He can end things, begin things, and change things, seeing the river of time and altering its flow as he sees fit.

One example of an Interlock born from this Cipher is, essentially, the Reincarnation to the Raise Dead Exploit. By exerting his powers over the timestream, the Reaver can destroy an individual and then recreate them, retroactively altering time to replace their old incarnation with their new. Actual mechanics escape me, but I do have the idea that A: precision is more difficult than effect here (that is, it's easy enough to do, the hard part is only making the very specific changes you want), and B: the Pentagrammist risk here is that this is a huge ripple in the time-stream. Even a success will probably elicit curious attention from a "Time Seeker" (the Analyst, seek & report equivalent to a Time Hunter/Reaver). Failure will alert a Time Hunter to come after the changed individual. Critical Failure might be something like a Time Hunter (or maybe a small squad of such!) immediately teleports to your location ready to destroy this disruption.

What do folks think? Sound plausible, for this character, even if the Interlock isn't so much?

Comment

So, I know I brought up my difficulties thinking up a Pentagrammic Cipher for my guy here and, while still no closer to a solid solution, I do think I might have a vague goal to aim it towards.

The Time Reaver's ultimate goal is to become a true Alpha and Omega, someone with the ability to create, transform and destroy on a vast scale, bending time to his will. His Cipher, then, should be focused in the direction of manipulating the Creation/Transformation/Destruction cycle - or the Birth-Life-Death-Decay-Rebirth cycle, however you prefer to describe it. He can end things, begin things, and change things, seeing the river of time and altering its flow as he sees fit.

One example of an Interlock born from this Cipher is, essentially, the Reincarnation to the Raise Dead Exploit. By exerting his powers over the timestream, the Reaver can destroy an individual and then recreate them, retroactively altering time to replace their old incarnation with their new. Actual mechanics escape me, but I do have the idea that A: precision is more difficult than effect here (that is, it's easy enough to do, the hard part is only making the very specific changes you want), and B: the Pentagrammist risk here is that this is a huge ripple in the time-stream. Even a success will probably elicit curious attention from a "Time Seeker" (the Analyst, seek & report equivalent to a Time Hunter/Reaver). Failure will alert a Time Hunter to come after the changed individual. Critical Failure might be something like a Time Hunter (or maybe a small squad of such!) immediately teleports to your location ready to destroy this disruption.

What do folks think? Sound plausible, for this character, even if the Interlock isn't so much?

Sounds fine. I think High Of Birth (Instrumental) definitely has the conceptual and thematic pull to be one part of the Interlock.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

So, I know this is technically a thread necro, but... I've had ideas springing into my head recently for a "partner" for my Time Reaver here - an Analyst Inquisitor who serves as essentially the Reaver's scout/herald/spy. I presume it'd be better for me to work on drafting up his form traits and appearance here for critique, as I did the last one, rather than making a duplicate thread?

Comment

Nobody bothered replying, but still, this idea won't leave me alone, so I figured I might as well go ahead and get it off my chest.

In a thought-stream atempt to clear my head where this came from, a "Time Seeker" is an Analyst angel usually associated with a Time Hunter or a Time Reaver; their primary purpose is to seek out temporal anomalies and divergences ahead of their warrior companion and direct it. Some, especially those paired with a Time Reaver, also serve a secondary purpose as saboteurs or trap-masters, using their abilities to disrupt attempts by the quarry to escape. Still, direct combat is usually left to the warrior-angel.

"Brother Eye" (placeholder name) is no exception; "I'm the brains and the eyes; Brother Maw is the brawn" (Int primary, Social secondary, Physical tertiary). He Fell because he became, in essence, a data addict; he's obsessed with learning everything he possibly can, abandoning his old mission and eagerly resuming work with his old partner to see the new worlds the ex-Time Reaver may construct. His Virtue is Curious and his Vice is Obsession.

Crunch:
              Default Demon Form Traits:
              Modifications: Multiple Eyes (DTG), Advanced Optics (FoH), Electrical Sight (DtD)
              Technologies: Multiversal Antenna (D:I), Clairvoyant Sight (DtD)
              Propulsion: Wings (DtD)
              Process: Amorphous (FoH)

Traits acquired through Primum increase:
              New Modification: Night Vision (DtD)
              New Technology: Blind Sense (DtD)
              New Process: Wound Healing (DtD)

Traits acquired through Terrible Form:
              New Modification: Radio Suite (FoH)
              New Technology: Mind Reading (DtD)
              New Propulsion: Phasing (DtD)
              New Process: Memory Theft (DtD)

Justifications:
              Amorphous: Existing on the macro-quantum level means the Time Seeker can better modulate his body for situations where it's necessary, whether it's deploying necessary-at-the-moment sensory apparatuses like Component Indicators or Olfactory Enhancements, or emergency combat modifications.

Wound Healing: Although the Time Seeker is rarely directly involved in combat, the ability to repair damage could mean the difference between life and death, especially since combat is definitely not his forte.

Multiversial Antennae: The Time Seeker would hardly be much help to his partner if he cannot also sense the rifts in time, space and reality through which they hunt their prey.

Wings and Phasing: The Time Seeker is effectively a living, ghostly satellite; the ability to fly keeps it out of general harm's way and in a good position to spy on targets, whilst Phasing furthers its ability to get anywhere and to avoid being attacked whilst spying.

Multiple Eyes, Advanced Optics, Electrical Sight, Night Vision, Blind Sense, Mind Reading and Memory Theft: These abilities all enhance the Time Seeker's ability to gather information.

Radio Suite: This both increases the Time Seeker's ability to spy on other beings and enhances its ability to communicate its findings to its partner.

Appearance:
              Even some demons have a hard time looking at this Time Seeker. It appears as an egg-shaped mass of throbbing, pulsing brain-matter, as big as a man, bloodlessly pale and captured in a web of metallic blue circuitry. Electricity arcs through this cyber-synaptic web, thoughts visibly dancing across the quivering surface as it strains against its metallic bindings. Visual sensors jut from its body seemingly at random; a medley of eyes, camera lenses, and obscene blendings of the two that stare in all directions. A halo of iron spikes juts from its body, each carved with glowing binary-Enochian runes that help the demon sense rifts in the fabric of reality.

The whole mass rests upon a carpet of human skulls, faces staring straight out and out the ground beneath them, braincases broken to better house the cerebral tissue and circuitry heaped atop them. A forest of cables and wires dangles from empty eye sockets and gaping jaws, sprouting strange, miniature sensory apparatuses; like some technological jellyfish, they help it to feel its way through through the world around it. Several long, spinal column-like tendrils snake from between the skulls, each ending in a delicate, many-fingered hand, allowing the Time Seeker to interact with the world around it.

The demon levitates, drifting silently through the air, suspended seemingly by its own will. When it speaks, one's mind fills with the crackle of static, twisting into the shape of a distorted yet horrifically legible voice after a moment's delay. It hisses and echoes inside your skull, seeming to know what you will do or say before you do. Sometime it grows impatient, answering questions you have not asked, reacting to things you have not done.

...Hmm, I'm kind of drawing a blank on the appearance here. It's got the core idea down, but I think it lacks something compared to the Time Reaver's, yes?

Comment

I actually had an idea for a hypothetical Analyst Inquisitor based on my forum handle, and your concept seems to be of a similar mold.

A body mostly made up of what amounts to a massive faceless brain in a jar surrounded by a swarm of electronic eyes and antennae, "limbs" composed of vein-like cables (possibly ending in needle-tipped fingers for directly extracting memories), invisibly and intangibly hovering just over someone's shoulder... that's quite evocative. I'm reminded of certain versions of Brainiac or the Brainspawn from Futurama, falling out of an obsession with learning everything possible about a timeline before it's destroyed and lost forever, now hoping to find something truly new to discover and learn about.

Comment

Originally posted by Knowbody View Post
                  I actually had an idea for a hypothetical Analyst Inquisitor based on my forum handle, and your concept seems to be of a similar mold.

A body mostly made up of what amounts to a massive faceless brain in a jar surrounded by a swarm of electronic eyes and antennae, "limbs" composed of vein-like cables (possibly ending in needle-tipped fingers for directly extracting memories), invisibly and intangibly hovering just over someone's shoulder... that's quite evocative. I'm reminded of certain versions of Brainiac or the Brainspawn from Futurama, falling out of an obsession with learning everything possible about a timeline before it's destroyed and lost forever, now hoping to find something truly new to discover and learn about.
                  That is pretty evocative. and compliments Drifter's idea really well actually.

Comment

Nobody bothered replying, but still, this idea won't leave me alone, so I figured I might as well go ahead and get it off my chest.

In a thought-stream atempt to clear my head where this came from, a "Time Seeker" is an Analyst angel usually associated with a Time Hunter or a Time Reaver; their primary purpose is to seek out temporal anomalies and divergences ahead of their warrior companion and direct it. Some, especially those paired with a Time Reaver, also serve a secondary purpose as saboteurs or trap-masters, using their abilities to disrupt attempts by the quarry to escape. Still, direct combat is usually left to the warrior-angel.

"Brother Eye" (placeholder name) is no exception; "I'm the brains and the eyes; Brother Maw is the brawn" (Int primary, Social secondary, Physical tertiary). He Fell because he became, in essence, a data addict; he's obsessed with learning everything he possibly can, abandoning his old mission and eagerly resuming work with his old partner to see the new worlds the ex-Time Reaver may construct. His Virtue is Curious and his Vice is Obsession.

Crunch:
                    Default Demon Form Traits:
                    Modifications: Multiple Eyes (DTG), Advanced Optics (FoH), Electrical Sight (DtD)
                    Technologies: Multiversal Antenna (D:I), Clairvoyant Sight (DtD)
                    Propulsion: Wings (DtD)
                    Process: Amorphous (FoH)

Traits acquired through Primum increase:
                    New Modification: Night Vision (DtD)
                    New Technology: Blind Sense (DtD)
                    New Process: Wound Healing (DtD)

Traits acquired through Terrible Form:
                    New Modification: Radio Suite (FoH)
                    New Technology: Mind Reading (DtD)
                    New Propulsion: Phasing (DtD)
                    New Process: Memory Theft (DtD)

Justifications:
                    Amorphous: Existing on the macro-quantum level means the Time Seeker can better modulate his body for situations where it's necessary, whether it's deploying necessary-at-the-moment sensory apparatuses like Component Indicators or Olfactory Enhancements, or emergency combat modifications.

Wound Healing: Although the Time Seeker is rarely directly involved in combat, the ability to repair damage could mean the difference between life and death, especially since combat is definitely not his forte.

Multiversial Antennae: The Time Seeker would hardly be much help to his partner if he cannot also sense the rifts in time, space and reality through which they hunt their prey.

Wings and Phasing: The Time Seeker is effectively a living, ghostly satellite; the ability to fly keeps it out of general harm's way and in a good position to spy on targets, whilst Phasing furthers its ability to get anywhere and to avoid being attacked whilst spying.

Multiple Eyes, Advanced Optics, Electrical Sight, Night Vision, Blind Sense, Mind Reading and Memory Theft: These abilities all enhance the Time Seeker's ability to gather information.

Radio Suite: This both increases the Time Seeker's ability to spy on other beings and enhances its ability to communicate its findings to its partner.

Appearance:
                    Even some demons have a hard time looking at this Time Seeker. It appears as an egg-shaped mass of throbbing, pulsing brain-matter, as big as a man, bloodlessly pale and captured in a web of metallic blue circuitry. Electricity arcs through this cyber-synaptic web, thoughts visibly dancing across the quivering surface as it strains against its metallic bindings. Visual sensors jut from its body seemingly at random; a medley of eyes, camera lenses, and obscene blendings of the two that stare in all directions. A halo of iron spikes juts from its body, each carved with glowing binary-Enochian runes that help the demon sense rifts in the fabric of reality.

The whole mass rests upon a carpet of human skulls, faces staring straight out and out the ground beneath them, braincases broken to better house the cerebral tissue and circuitry heaped atop them. A forest of cables and wires dangles from empty eye sockets and gaping jaws, sprouting strange, miniature sensory apparatuses; like some technological jellyfish, they help it to feel its way through through the world around it. Several long, spinal column-like tendrils snake from between the skulls, each ending in a delicate, many-fingered hand, allowing the Time Seeker to interact with the world around it.

The demon levitates, drifting silently through the air, suspended seemingly by its own will. When it speaks, one's mind fills with the crackle of static, twisting into the shape of a distorted yet horrifically legible voice after a moment's delay. It hisses and echoes inside your skull, seeming to know what you will do or say before you do. Sometime it grows impatient, answering questions you have not asked, reacting to things you have not done.

...Hmm, I'm kind of drawing a blank on the appearance here. It's got the core idea down, but I think it lacks something compared to the Time Reaver's, yes?
                    I think what it is missing is a gradual divergence from the Reaver. Being partners is one thing, but it seems just a little too dependent on his Destroyer brother for identity. But besides that, I'm liking it a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X