[Homebrew Template] Faceless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Homebrew Template] Faceless

Right, so this arose out of a conversation elsewhere on this forum about trading pacts with mortals. This template can make for a potent reconnaissance agent or a difficult-to-counter infiltrator. Use these to add a dose of paranoia to a game.

Faceless
    Demons have long considered themselves and the God-Machine to be the only beings able to create and use Covers, but some Agencies whisper of people who shift between faces and lives with equal aplomb. They're obviously cranks, because humans can't keep Covers, right?

Faceless Traits
    The Faceless are different from most humans in that they aren't really one person, per se. They can acquire and use Covers similarly to a Demon, and even collude with Agencies or the God-Machine, using their unique talents to acquire favors and riches.
    Covers
    The Faceless don't have Integrity, they have Cover. They start with a Cover rated at 7, and can have a number of long-term Covers up to their Composure. The covers carry all the normal benefits (Supernatural Tolerance, Spoofing, and Legend), but also carry the risk of Compromise and the attendant risks for Glitches

Faceless Curse
    For whatever reason, the Faceless are not fully connected to reality like normal humans, and instead rely on their Covers to remain metaphysically coherent. When Burned, a Faceless is considered to be suffering from Soul Loss until they can find a new Cover, their features and personality becoming protean and requiring the Faceless to exhaust themselves to maintain their existence. If the Faceless reaches Thrall, they fall apart in a puff of screaming nothing.

Stigmatic
    The Faceless count as Stigmatic (with all attendant features).

Total Control
    The Faceless are just as adept at hiding their emotions as Demons. Rolls to discern their emotions, whether they are lying, or determine their thought or intent based on physical or verbal cues fail outright.

Pacts
    The Faceless can make Pacts for Covers like a Demon can, but unlike a Demon, they lack the Occult capabilities to make things just "happen". They need to make things happen the mundane way. For this reason, they prefer to work with Demons and Angels, trading favors for faces instead of having to try and convince humans to trade away bits of their past.
    Using the Faceless in Your Campaign
    Unattached, the Faceless are a dangerous rogue element, Just as capable of hiding and deceiving as the Unchained, but more native to reality and even more on the fringes. The Faceless can be the perfect way to add an extra element of unpredictability and paranoia when Angels aren't enough. They can be anyone, anywhere, and be working for anybody or nobody, with almost any intent. Hell, one of your players might know one personally, possibly many times over.

As part of an Agency, they are intensely talented at infiltration, with the added benefit of being able to adapt on the fly better than other Stigmatics. They almost never work gratis, but they can be well worth the steep price tag when all else fails.

As a player character, it offers a lot of the intrigue of normal Stigmatic play, with the added bonus of the constant identity crisis of the Faceless condition. If a Demon is the detached spy, the Faceless are the deep-cover agents who have forgotten themselves under the lies.

Words of Wisdom from the Forums:
    "Don't be unlucky and get dead by a wolf-man."
    "Most of the current eras are too modern, we need 'Dark Eras: The electroweak epoch'."

I like this concept, and I'll be passing it along to my group's Storyteller. However, I'd make it to where they are their covers. As in a Faceless should probably keep at least two Covers on hand at all times in case they lose one. If they lose all their Covers, they cease to exist. Kind of reminds me of Adam from the episode of Torchwood of the same name...

Comment

Originally posted by inkpenavenger View Post
      I like this concept, and I'll be passing it along to my group's Storyteller. However, I'd make it to where they are their covers. As in a Faceless should probably keep at least two Covers on hand at all times in case they lose one. If they lose all their Covers, they cease to exist. Kind of reminds me of Adam from the episode of Torchwood of the same name...
      Well, they kind of are. It's that they don't unravel all at once.

"Most of the current eras are too modern, we need 'Dark Eras: The electroweak epoch'."

Comment

If they are their cover, I'm not really excited about giving them the ability to perfectly lie. Demons get that because their cover is basically a limb into which they're extended from an unobserved site. Also, it's on of their more powerful abilities.

How about giving them the ability to perfectly lie (not necessarily hide their emotions from) to Demons?

Comment

What if they falsely register as fellow demons to aetheric detection? Sleeper agents made to infiltrate demonic ranks without needing an angel to fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
            What if they falsely register as fellow demons to aetheric detection? Sleeper agents made to infiltrate demonic ranks without needing an angel to fall.
            Well, I think that'd really be up to the Storyteller. By default, I intended them not to, to help keep them as totally out of left field for everybody.

Comment

malonkey1 fair point, this way they could be an unexplained thing with various causes instead of just another agent of the machine.

Comment

Sorry to necro this, but I'd really like to use it. I need to work out how someone becomes Faceless, however. I might make it something that any Stigmatic could theoretically become. Probably add in an ancient cult of Faceless who use their abilities as spies and assassins.

Comment

Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
                  Sorry to necro this, but I'd really like to use it. I need to work out how someone becomes Faceless, however. I might make it something that any Stigmatic could theoretically become. Probably add in an ancient cult of Faceless who use their abilities as spies and assassins.
                  Hmm. I saw them as a more human-like Cryptid, like Reptoids.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                  Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I like the idea of a powerful Gadget created by a remorseful Demon in the hopes of resurecting a soul pact, only to instead create what is functional a clone that starts with that person's Cover and mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X