Advice for Demon storytellers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for Demon storytellers?

I'm going to be running my first game of Demon tonight and I was wondering if anyone had any advice that might help. Any tricks of the trade or suchlike.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Well the best advice I can give is to establish right away that your players are not able to just kick down the door of every piece of Infrastructure they see. Show them how vulnerable they really are and how conventional combat against an entity as vast and as powerful as the God-Machine is just not possible- at least not for a very long time. That's the biggest thing about Demon that really sets it apart. Unlike other immensely powerful nemesis-es, the God-Machine is always ( almost) present and is quite literally just a couple steps away from you in any given area practically. Sure it's cultists and ( low ranked) angels can be fought, but those battles should usually be pitched. Now that doesn't mean that every single battle should be an obvious win-or-die confrontation, but it should be showcased that while yes, you can stand and fight... the setbacks it causes to the Enemy are sadly superficial. Certainly in the immediate future it can make all the difference, but to the Machine such small consequences mean almost absolutely nothing if all you're doing is lashing out like a wounded animal. But that's when you also show them that there is hope; that there are alternatives to punching the Machine in the pinky toe that are more effective and can be FAR more devastating than simple combat. Dis-empowerment and creative alternatives to otherwise self-defeating solutions are two good guidelines to work off of.

And well, the Cold War and what spies had to go through are good sources of reference for almost any good Demon game. That whatever other really cool ideas you yourself come up with of course.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I have to say, the typical 'Kill it with fire/swords/magic/misc!" approach is one that I'm somewhat worried about, but I think that my group won't do that.

Probably. Fingers crossed.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
        Thanks for the help. I have to say, the typical 'Kill it with fire/swords/magic/misc!" approach is one that I'm somewhat worried about, but I think that my group won't do that.

Probably. Fingers crossed.
        Just drive home the message that if fighting breaks out, they've already lost. Demon need to be sneaky. Fireworks and leaving bodies everywhere is just leaving a sign for the Machine to roll them up with Hunter Angels and take away all their Contacts, Allies, and support.

Addendum: If you want to be a bit adventurous, have them roll up experienced characters, who've been Demons for awhile, and let them cut loose in the first session. End it with the entire ring buying it. Characters next session are newbies vaguely informed/connected to the first Ring, or even the Angels that took them down. You can even leave the original Ring's ultimate goal a mystery to be uncovered.

Second thought, don't try that for a first game.
        Last edited by Vent0; 07-15-2016, 04:36 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
        X