Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Template do you use to create infrastructures ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Template do you use to create infrastructures ?

I'm looking for an idea of what kind of template do you use for infrastructure when you are making them for your demon games ?

While I will sometimes use something really esoteric, like a ritual requiring the skulls of six hundred humming birds and a thimble of cyanide laced honey in order to summon a Destroyer for the purpose of razing a small town, most of my Infrastructure has heavy industrial themes. ( a Factory that builds more wreck-prone cars by working the bones, and ghosts, of people killed in traffic accidents into the structure of the vehicles, an assembly line that stitches corpses together to make undead servitors, etc)
    Last edited by Korogra; 07-22-2016, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Basic View Post
      I'm looking for an idea of what kind of template do you use for infrastructure when you are making them for your demon games ?
      There's not really a template, as such... I either think of my desired output and think 'what could do that' (which can be logical, when the God-Machine's goal makes a sense, or weird as heck when it doesn't) and add for some thematic flourishes, or I take a local landmark/thing I wanna make weird and try to make the Infrastructure fit that. I made a local hot sandwich chain horrifying and I made the terrible traffic jams on a ringroad into a piece of Defense Infrastructure.

Onyx Path Freelancer: Demon Storyteller's Guide, Dark Eras
      Storyteller's Guide Extra Material
      After the Fall: Bonus Material

Comment

I usually rely on landsmarks and history to inform my Infrastructure. I only very rarely go the other direction and have a set idea for a Project and hammer the setting into place to conform to that idea. I feel like in general my games are richer for that strategy, but the price is that they take forever to get off the ground cause I keep jumping about to do research and try to think of new plot threads.

By way of example, I knew very early on that I wanted Las Vegas to be a rare example of a successful Hell where the role of Demon and God-Machine was flipped- the agents of the machine were the stealthy infiltrators and the Demon Agency were the established powerhouses competing with each other. I didn't yet know why this was so (eventually deciding that the Demons had a unique and powerful Gadget that uses Sin to block out the God-Machine's signal). But I knew I wanted it that way. After a little historical digging, a latched onto the tension between the federal government and the then illegal gambling dens over the construction of the Hoover Dam. If we take the Feds as a metaphor for the God-Machine and the gambling houses as the Demons, then the Dam had to be main Infrastructure (with Boulder City becoming a straight laced 'Heaven' at war with the Demon's Vegas Hell). Other pieces of Infrastructure naturally suggested themselves like the Mt Yucca nuclear waste facility and of course good old Area 51, but the Dam was closest and was so prominent and unique that it was the natural focus of the game. I fiddled with various concepts that lent themselves to having a Dam- perhaps it was built to be destroyed and cause a Biblical style flood; perhaps the lake it formed conceals some important Gear for the Machine. I eventually went with a flouride in the water kind of scenario- the GM is pumping something into the Colorado that's influencing the minds of the local population. From there things just fell into place.

Here's a different example. In my home town of Austin we have a series of historical moontowers set up around the downtown area. What inspired these precursors to modern street lights was a serial killer called the Servant Girl Annihilator, a figure that terrorized the black community at night and convinced the city council to create more illumination viz the towers. If I were to run a Demon game here, then obviously the murders held some occult function (like the Jack the Ripper killings allegedly did a few years later) and the moontowers are one major form of Infrastructure in the city. Don't ask me what they do just yet- I've never had occasion to develop it that far. But that's the place to start in my opinion.

My advice is to look to your setting's history first. Even if it seems dull and boring, most places aren't so static. History tends to offer up no end of story ideas waiting for a clever ST to twist them to his or her ends. Now, note that there's nothing wrong with having a big plot idea instead. I just prefer for my setting to create my plot rather than vice versa. But especially if you are hurting for ideas your local history serves as an excellent source for story seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Korogra View Post
          While I will sometimes use something really esoteric, like a ritual requiring the skulls of six hundred humming birds and a thimble of cyanide laced honey in order to summon a Destroyer for the purpose of razing a small town, most of my Infrastructure has heavy industrial themes. ( a Factory that builds more wreck-prone cars by working the bones, and ghosts, of people killed in traffic accidents into the structure of the vehicles, an assembly line that stitches corpses together to make undead servitors, etc)
          I have problems distinguishing between the God Machine's "logic" and True Fae's own, specially regarding the building and working of Infrastructures.
          Last edited by Raistlin; 07-25-2016, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlin View Post

I have problems distinguishing between the God Machine's "logic" and True Fae's own, specially regarding the building and working of Infrastructures.
            hmmm... you need G-M(tm) glasses methinks to see teh logiks

Comment

Working...
            X