Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ancient God-Machine and Demon Presence in History...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient God-Machine and Demon Presence in History...

I found something interesting I'm not sure if others have picked up on here, to do with Demon and Dark Eras... With the side-bars telling about other splats in each chapter, Demons are not mentioned until the dark ages, where it seems to be before then the God-Machine has been silent and invisible...

My question... When did the God-Machine first truly manifest? Are Angels and Demons of the machine canon for say the pre-Sundered Neolithic times? They're not noted as a splat active in that time like some of the others are...

Also why was the God-Machine silent pre-dark ages, what form would it's angelic agents take in these times and what the catalyst that made Demons become (slightly) more overt and visible that they are mentioned in the later eras?

Would love to hear your theories below!

The Demon Storyteller's Guide has a Bronze Age setting that's pretty great.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Ah, I haven't got that book (yet), so I had no idea!

Comment

Originally posted by wander View Post
        Ah, I haven't got that book (yet), so I had no idea!
        I must clarify that this setting hasn't been presented as a setting to play demon during the bronze age, but instead as a shard, which is an alternative setting that could or could not be "canon" as far as the demon timeline is concerned. So the existance of this setting tells us nothing about whether the God Machine existed back then.

But there is some evidence for God Machine interference before Christ in Tales of the Dark Eras, and the fiction of the Demon Storyteller's Guide could be interpreted as saying that the God Machine already was around before humanity.

Comment

The God-Machine has been around at least as long as humanity.

Rose Bailey
          Onyx Path Development Producer
          Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
            The God-Machine has been around at least as long as humanity.
            Not to mention being outside of liner time. It can be anywhere and everywhere humans are( or at least were, there is every indication it could be present anywhere they are not as well) in any mortal universe. It's a GOD-Machine after all

jabbing and teasing Rose aside while agreeing with her, if a person wants the God-Machine to be around when there was nothing but Dragons and Baboon mages ( cause they Obviously were members of the ruling elite in Atlantis after all..if you believe good old "Satyrblade" xD), then by all means do so
            Last edited by Korogra; 07-26-2016, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Also, if there's not some retired piece of Infrastructure stuffed inside an Egyptian Pyramid somewhere that converts fresh water to blood, summons insects and animals, causes eclipses and storms, and of course disease and death of first born children I will be highly disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by nothri View Post
                Also, if there's not some retired piece of Infrastructure stuffed inside an Egyptian Pyramid somewhere that converts fresh water to blood, summons insects and animals, causes eclipses and storms, and of course disease and death of first born children I will be highly disappointed.
                Little know fact: the death of first-born was a glitch in another Occult Matrix. But hey, if they want to credit you, why not claim it as intentional? </BS>

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Korogra View Post

Not to mention being outside of liner time. It can be anywhere and everywhere humans are( or at least were, there is every indication it could be present anywhere they are not as well) in any mortal universe. It's a GOD-Machine after all

jabbing and teasing Rose aside while agreeing with her, if a person wants the God-Machine to be around when there was nothing but Dragons and Baboon mages ( cause they Obviously were members of the ruling elite in Atlantis after all..if you believe good old "Satyrblade" xD), then by all means do so
                  So, I figure the God-Machine is beholden to some kind of timeline, but you're right, it's clearly not the same as ours.

Rose Bailey
                  Onyx Path Development Producer
                  Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post

So, I figure the God-Machine is beholden to some kind of timeline, but you're right, it's clearly not the same as ours.
                    True, though this leads to the question... how does one stop the Doctor- I mean Skynet-The God-Machine fron killing John Conner?

Comment

Oh good, there's a thread for this and I don't even have to necro!

Anyway, if you want to run Neolithic/Historical God-Machine, I'm thinking there are two ways you can go. You can have it be a timeless hyper-anachronism- gigerian biomechanical angels and glowing LED lights in Catal Huyuk or Ancient Greece. Or, and here's probably the more interesting idea, you can have the Machine and its manifestations be related to whatever the era associates with power and technology (that's always been my headcanon). So an ancient prehistoric God-Machine would manifest itself with works of fire and wood, forged stone and lightning. Wheels are big- before you have gears, you have wheels. I'd imagine that when the wheel was new the GM was pretty big into it- Infrastructure shaped like massive wood and stone wheels, angels gliding on flaming wheels, that sort of thing (wheels are even a major motif in traditional depictions of angels).

For more inspiration, look up medieval UFO sightings and dip into those abysmal ancient aliens theories (if you can stomach it). Mythology is full of weird magitek that could be repurposed as ancient GM-related infrastructure or beings. The bronze colossi and the workshop of Hephaestus, vimanas, Magonia, the Abydos helicopter, the Antikythera mechanism, the Barcadzy Calh, the "battle of Nuremberg" in 1561, phantom airships...
                      Last edited by Geckopirateship; 07-26-2016, 09:11 PM.

Comment

This has also gotten me curious about precursors to the Knights of Saint Adrian. You could have them stick with tattoos, but branding might be a cool alternative past version of Ink.

Comment

Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
                          This has also gotten me curious about precursors to the Knights of Saint Adrian. You could have them stick with tattoos, but branding might be a cool alternative past version of Ink.
                          I mean, we've had tattoos longer than we've had branding...

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Working...
                          X