Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Demon the Descent)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Demon the Descent)

Didn't see one of these for DtD.

Question: I have been considering getting the DtD starter kit. Are the rules already updated to the God Machine Chronicles? For instance, are their conditions, and beats?

Offense is rarely given, but often taken.

Originally posted by K9ine View Post
    Question: I have been considering getting the DtD starter kit. Are the rules already updated to the God Machine Chronicles? For instance, are their conditions, and beats?
    Yes. In fact Demon the Descent was the first 2E game (before 2E was fully a thing).

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

In fact, they aren't 'updated' to 2e. It was only ever in the 2e rules.

Comment

I've got one, though it isn't a simple question, nor answer, I suspect.

Is there any reason a fresh Demon can't make a bunch of Rank 5 Cryptid monstrosities to throw at their enemies with the Hellounds Exploit and the local kennel? RAW, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Is there any reason a fresh Demon can't make a bunch of Rank 5 Cryptid monstrosities to throw at their enemies with the Hellounds Exploit and the local kennel? RAW, that is.

can't, no, nothing stops them, it seems like a terrible idea though. Its really expensive and Cover erroding. There's also no guarantee they would be rank five, you'd probably have to use willpower and/or roll really well for that.
          Last edited by ElvesofZion; 08-10-2016, 05:34 PM. Reason: Willpower isnt strictly needed, exploding 10s could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post

can't, no, nothing stops them, it seems like a terrible idea though. Its really expensive and Cover erroding. There's also no guarantee they would be rank five, you'd probably have to use willpower and/or roll really well for that.
            Gadgets don't risk Compromise. And you don't actually need to track Primum or Successes for creating Cryptids - it merely gives Primum + Successes to Attributes as an option. Sure, the ST would have to be okay with your broken antics, but the rules don't really give any indication why you can't, do they?

(This is actually one of the cases where I wish they added more restrictions to a power.)

Comment

Gadgets don't risk Compromise. And you don't actually need to track Primum or Successes for creating Cryptids - it merely gives Primum + Successes to Attributes as an option. Sure, the ST would have to be okay with your broken antics, but the rules don't really give any indication why you can't, do they?

(This is actually one of the cases where I wish they added more restrictions to a power.)

I suppose your right? I took the Cryptid creation part to be included in the success version, and that the only base one is a dog. But I can see it going either way.

As for a Gadget, I didnt think about that since you hadnt mentioned it before. You'd still pump Aether out while making it, buts its defiently less of a risk. What would be the restriction though? I suppose it could be that it only makes the one kind of hellhound, but it might be more balanced to make it a collar that only goes on one creature at a time? kind of hard to adjucate RAW here when it is up to ST fiat.

Comment

I suppose your right? I took the Cryptid creation part to be included in the success version, and that the only base one is a dog. But I can see it going either way.
                I was referring to the Or part, where it says if you take the time beforehand, you can work out a Cryptid to create with your Storyteller.

As for a Gadget, I didnt think about that since you hadnt mentioned it before. You'd still pump Aether out while making it, buts its defiently less of a risk. What would be the restriction though? I suppose it could be that it only makes the one kind of hellhound, but it might be more balanced to make it a collar that only goes on one creature at a time?
                Maybe. I'd personally be more amenable to the collar as a One Shot. Though I guess the collar is technically reusable.

I was thinking something like a cattle brand. Stick animal with it, get loyal monster. (If going literal, head down to the cattle farm and re-enact the Running of the Bulls with your legion of cybernetic minotaurs).

kind of hard to adjucate RAW here when it is up to ST fiat.
                I know, right!

Comment

I was referring to the Or part, where it says if you take the time beforehand, you can work out a Cryptid to create with your Storyteller.
                  Yeah, I got it now. I just grouped it in two parts in my head:

The traits of such a creature vary depending on its base animal, but the dog traits on p. 203 of the World of Darkness Rulebook work nicely to simulate such creatures with little to no alteration.

and

For other animals, use the traits of the animal (or a similar animal; the raven’s traits work for most birds, for example) and add the demon’s Primum + successes on the Exploit roll in dots at the player’s discretion. Or, if the player has some time to think ahead, use the cryptid creation rules on p. 228 to come up with a Hell-beast that the Storyteller and the player agree upon.

So I just assumed when using the cryptid rules you were still bound by the die roll. I can see know that that is not the only way to read it (and may be the wrong way).

Comment

The sort of Aetheric radiance that would cause would get you a dozen hunter-killer angels bearing down on you at the turn of the clock.

So, you could. It's just not very smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post

The sort of Aetheric radiance that would cause would get you a dozen hunter-killer angels bearing down on you at the turn of the clock.

So, you could. It's just not very smart.

So bail afterwards and let them deal with monsters you created. Decent enough distraction.

Comment

So bail afterwards and let them deal with monsters you created. Decent enough distraction.

Another thought on this, when you say fresh Demon, do you mean freshly Fallen or a freshly made character? As a storyteller, I wouldn't allow a freshly fallen demon to have any exploits, they don't know them as angels and learn them by pushing the boundries of the embeds they have. That would take some time, same with making Gadgets, is that innate knowledge or learned?

Comment

Another thought on this, when you say fresh Demon, do you mean freshly Fallen or a freshly made character? As a storyteller, I wouldn't allow a freshly fallen demon to have any exploits, they don't know them as angels and learn them by pushing the boundries of the embeds they have. That would take some time, same with making Gadgets, is that innate knowledge or learned?
                          I meant a freshly rolled character, since just what a freshly Fallen Demon has or doesn't is more Storyteller purview.

Comment

I meant a freshly rolled character, since just what a freshly Fallen Demon has or doesn't is more Storyteller purview.

OK, then yeah, back where we were with it.

Comment

OK, then yeah, back where we were with it.
                              Yeah. I mean, I houserule Hellhounds to only be able to create a maximum of 1/2 Primum (round up) Rank Cryptid (at about 3 Adaptations or Attributes over 5 per Rank, it is still nice), and modify the Aether requirements to (usually) be by Rank (so stronger Cryptids consume more), but that's excessive houseruling.

Comment

Working...
                              X